Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Feb 17, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #781 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the STX compare as a source to your DAC Magic?

The Essence STX is at work so ill try and take it home and check one of the next days.
If i was looking for an amp/dac solution for pc use on a semi-budget i wouldn't hesitate to get it though. It is a great product.

Feb 17, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #782 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebathingape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Essence STX is at work so ill try and take it home and check one of the next days.
If i was looking for an amp/dac solution for pc use on a semi-budget i wouldn't hesitate to get it though. It is a great product.

Looking forward to the comparison. Initially, I was planning to get the DAC Magic but opted for the STX instead.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #783 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by thebathingape /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried my HD650 on a Xonar Essence STX at work and was quite disappointed. There was just no punch in the sound and for the first time i experienced what i believe people call "the veil" on the HD650.
The sound was too up tight and dry. Details seemed muffled and thick.

Just writing this for those considering an Essence STX/HD650 combo. I was impressed with the Essence on other headphones (Beyer DT770 pro 32/80, AKG 601, Beyer DT 250) so i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for those.

I have only the rig in my sig to compare my experience with the HD650 with, but IMO they need a different caliber amp than what the Essence can deliver.

(Disregard the info in this post. I didn't notice the impedance setting before trying it).

I use this combo and I have no issue with them.. In fact even though I am not an experience listener. I have noticed new sound in my music that I always missed out before. I listen to alot of live concerts recordings and you can almost guess where the sound of each clappings of audience comes from..

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #785 of 2,066
Just saw some people in other computer audio forum call the discussions going on here as "FOTM" with a yawn...
[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Asus Xonar Essence STX

I think audio is subject and easy enough for people to make judgments even never actualy listened to it...

redface.gif

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #786 of 2,066
I agree with you.. people always under-estimate the qaulity of the the products they do not own.

Me and my best friend always get in to a long disscussion when he over-estimates his Xfi-based 5.1 logetic versus my STX+hd650.

He has actaully never listened to any audiophile products..

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #787 of 2,066
Maybe Alydon can help me out here when he goes online.
Anyway, I pretty close to buying some LM6172's for the Essence STX however just one more (maybe dumb) question:
Do I need any adapters for it or can I just buy the chip and not need to worry about any adapters?

Feb 18, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #788 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe Alydon can help me out here when he goes online.
Anyway, I pretty close to buying some LM6172's for the Essence STX however just one more (maybe dumb) question:
Do I need any adapters for it or can I just buy the chip and not need to worry about any adapters?

You do not need any adapters since it is already in DIP-8 format.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #789 of 2,066
If there mono channel op-amps like the OPA627Au you just gonna need a thing which let you use Two of them in the one main op-amp socket since the other two is for something esle voltages unless I wrong and another set of op-amps can be socketed into it. But if there stereo op-amps then your fine like shahrose says.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #791 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by d(((--)))b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you.. people always under-estimate the qaulity of the the products they do not own.

Me and my best friend always get in to a long disscussion when he over-estimates his Xfi-based 5.1 logetic versus my STX+hd650.

He has actaully never listened to any audiophile products..

I actualy ran into dozen of people just like that. You try to tell them the quailty is higher on this card and they look at you like your card is some onboard mess. or in your case headphone setup which why I stop using my Z5500s and in up stealing the reciver speaker ht speakers to toy with the phones output.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #792 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just saw some people in other computer audio forum call the discussions going on here as "FOTM" with a yawn...
[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Asus Xonar Essence STX

I think audio is subject and easy enough for people to make judgments even never actualy listened to it...
redface.gif

He has a point though. The STX does not have an amp section that bests $700 amps. Realistically, it would be comparable to DIY amps around $150-250. The DAC IS the primary reason I bought the STX. Nevertheless, it does not make the STX any less of a value, considering that it has a DAC and amp in it that would likely cost $200 each if they were standalone offerings.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #793 of 2,066
Quote:

He has a point though. The STX does not have an amp section that bests $700 amps. Realistically, it would be comparable to DIY amps around $150-250. The DAC IS the primary reason I bought the STX. Nevertheless, it does not make the STX any less of a value, considering that it has a DAC and amp in it that would likely cost $200 each if they were standalone offerings.

Thats why the STX is the best bang for the bucks card for people who can't afford or don't want to spend more then they have to on a separate DAC & amp.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #794 of 2,066
Quote:

The STX does not have an amp section that bests $700 amps.

More so when some guy comes along claiming it can drive HD650s and any 600-ohm beast you want to hook up to it. Quality, yes. Comparable power to a good desktop amp, or quality exceeding what you could get for $700? No. MAJOR telephone game time.

Augh! >_<

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #795 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ashmedai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More so when some guy comes along claiming it can drive HD650s and any 600-ohm beast you want to hook up to it. Quality, yes. Comparable power to a good desktop amp, or quality exceeding what you could get for $700? No. MAJOR telephone game time.

Augh! >_<

So you're the gentalman in hardforum.
To me, seems it is pointless to bite on the idea of $700 worth or not.

Your argument is only on whether it can drive HD600/HD650 properly or not.
And guess what, many people happened to found that it IS able to drive them properly.
After that, the difference is there albet very small.

If you still want to compare the value, that willl be too abstract and relying your argument on vendors' pricing policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back