Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jun 23, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #1,741 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for answering my questions
k701smile.gif

So it seems that it is quite difficult to install these discrete OPAMPs on STX
triportsad.gif

Difficult and expensive. OPA-Moon is 25 bucks, plus base shipping price of another 17 bucks. If you got three of those that's already approaching half the value of the sound card! Whether it is worth that or not is something you have to decide yourself, personally I would have to hear a lot of good impressions going from a LME49720NA to some discrete units.

FWIW I used to have an OPA-Earth in a Zero DAC and it improved the sound considerably.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #1,742 of 2,066
Quote:

Does it mean that I need to install such a large thing on my sound card as an OPAMP, when a LME49720 could be just 100 times smaller?
Am I getting it correct?
ph34r.gif

the first page of this PDF explains why discrete is so much better : http://johnhardyco.com/pdf/990-2007.pdf

but they compare it to some really lousy regular op-amp....which were not meant for audio stuff in the first place, so it's not hard to beat!

supposedly the discrete op-amps will increase both the distortion and the details....I don't see how that's possible, but I know I don't want more distortion
confused_face.gif

and having these 3 huge things hanging from the soundcard is simply laughable
darthsmile.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #1,743 of 2,066
Quote:

Thanks for answering my questions
k701smile.gif

So it seems that it is quite difficult to install these discrete OPAMPs on STX
triportsad.gif

The discrete opamps are bigger, as they are composed of discrete audio grade components. Depending on your case a easy way may be to put the card in the lowest slot possible and allow the opamps to rest on the bottom of the PC case. Put down some Non-conductive film -You can use a side of the static bag you get chip opamps in.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #1,744 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The discrete opamps are bigger, as they are composed of discrete audio grade components. Depending on your case a easy way may be to put the card in the lowest slot possible and allow the opamps to rest on the bottom of the PC case. Put down some Non-conductive film -You can use a side of the static bag you get chip opamps in.

Well, I have a medium size case , which I have 4 free PCI Slots now
I'm not sure if that will work, but if , I would still like to have a try
k701smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #1,745 of 2,066
Quote:

Well, I have a medium size case , which I have 4 free PCI Slots now
I'm not sure if that will work, but if , I would still like to have a try
k701smile.gif

There are ways to do it, if you want to check them out.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #1,746 of 2,066
ROBSCIX, or anyone else in the know, do they plan on updating the STX with the new clocking circuit and daughter-board expandibility (I made up a word, YAY!)

Seems silly not to.. then users just choose the better form factor

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #1,747 of 2,066
You'r right i'am still happy about the outcoming ST and i still have the daughterboard.
I hope next week i'll get my ST and straight ahad i have the best 7.1 card wich is at the moment to get plus Headphone amp
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #1,748 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROBSCIX, or anyone else in the know, do they plan on updating the STX with the new clocking circuit and daughter-board expandibility (I made up a word, YAY!)

Seems silly not to.. then users just choose the better form factor

Not that I know of. The clock chip and pin-header seemd to be last minute additions to the ST. You never know though, if they think there is a need for it they might. ASUS may offer a newer modified version of the orignal STX.
There have been no concrete information either way.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #1,750 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawaya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Works fine with 3 Opa-Earth

So, how do they compare to stock op amps?

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #1,752 of 2,066
I have the 49720HA in the I/V positions, and yesterday i checked if they were still in place. And when i touched them the opamps were realy hot.
I would have burned myself if I had held on for more than a second. I'm guessing at least 70 degrees C.
Is this normal?

Soundcard is working fine, sound is awesome.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #1,753 of 2,066
w/ or w/o the metal shield on the STX? some say it will only make the components hotter
eek.gif

I should have the ST in the next coming days, when I do I'll quickly get the STX off the PC, then remove the shield...if they're really hot I'll ditch the shield.

apparently, measurements are identical whether or not you have it installed....it's the PCB that is shielded.

Jul 1, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #1,755 of 2,066
Hi all
I just received and installed 2 OPA Earth in IV and an OPA Sun V2 in the Buffer. right now I'm using the head-out so I only hear the Earths but I will listen to my speakers later and report on the differences there.

Compared to stock I would say that there is more extention in both directions and the level of detail is cranked up one more notch. I think they give a slightly warm and very natural representation of the sound.
They are a bit of a pain to install, at least in my cluttered case, something that could have been fixed with better cable management . I think the new level of sound quality more than makes up for the installation and the price.

I can't wait to hear the full potential of these pretty little things when they reach the 100 h mark, even though I cant understand what would change in any electronic component with extended use.

A big thanks to ROBSCIX for helping me with the questions that came up while researching discrete OP-Amps and for his great work in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back