Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #1,486 of 1,781
Mar 31, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,488 of 1,781
I wish you could save profiles, get a little annoying switching from music to movies and then have to setup channels and sample rates, although i hear no difference when left on 6 or 8 channels using HF.

Is it just me, I'm getting serious listening fatigue just after 3 songs, ST stock opamp > Silver Dragon > HD650, waiting on some opamp adapters.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #1,489 of 1,781
Soon, you won't have the change sampling rates as the next driver release will allow auto sample rate adjustment through ASIO. AFAIK, this driver set is already being tested by some.
It would be nice to have the ability to save profiles so when you clicked on a icon, the card would switch settings. Auzen/CL cards have an applicaiton that does that.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #1,490 of 1,781
Hey Robscix regarding the setting no. of channels. I have only a stereo system. I am using powerDVD 7 ultra in vista and watch blu-ray movies. Should I set my output to 6 speakers in powerdvd and 6 channels in the xonar control panel? Will that downmix into two channels or will that completely mess it up?

Reason I ask is that Im having a problem with powerdvd on 2 speaker setting (in powerdvd control panel) when Dolby trueHD format is used the sound comes about 50% louder on my left speaker!
It goes back to normal when I set powerdvd to six speakers but the sound is so much softer and I feel like I lose quality.

I had the same problem with the audigy 2zs and now with the xonar. I've uninstalled Powerdvd and reinstalled it and no diff. Any ideas? I bet a clean reinstall of vista would fix it but I won't be able to do that.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #1,491 of 1,781
If you were using just a stereo setting in the powerDVD control panel, it is weird that it would make the audio louder out of one channel over the other. There is something off about that.
If you were using headphones with DH, I would set PDVD to 6 channels and the card for headphones to downmix and virtualize the surround info. You may be able to get a sort of virtual surround using Dolby Virtual speaker perhaps.
If you are only using stereo output on the card then you are limited for BD audio etc.
Get yourself an H6 DAC expansion board when you can.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #1,492 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish you could save profiles, get a little annoying switching from music to movies and then have to setup channels and sample rates, although i hear no difference when left on 6 or 8 channels using HF.

Is it just me, I'm getting serious listening fatigue just after 3 songs, ST stock opamp > Silver Dragon > HD650, waiting on some opamp adapters.

I have been listening to my HD 650 with the gain option set to 60-300 ohms, volume set to 44 and running with ASIO on foobar (i didnt touch foobars volume). With the OPA 827 opamps the sound is really decent and I have not gotten any listening fatigue in the 2+ hrs of music listening

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #1,495 of 1,781
What's up with 24/88.2 FLAC playback on ST?
I use foobar with ASIO, gives me errors that sample rate is not supported and asks to adjust resampler properly?

I know that there's no native 88.2 or 176.4 support on ST, but I adjusted sample rate to 96 in asus and windows control panel. What else is there? I really don't want to use foobar's own software resamplers.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #1,496 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by giedrys /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use foobar with ASIO, gives me errors that sample rate is not supported and asks to adjust resampler properly?

Native ASIO doesn't support 96, 192 (resamples to 48 or even 40? see pic). Use KS or WASAPI untill they (Asus) make good ASIO as they promise.

Apr 2, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #1,497 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get yourself an H6 DAC expansion board when you can.

When and if you can indeed. I e-mailed Asus about availability of the H6 and the ST in Holland a few weeks ago (the ST isn't even listed on Asus.nl!) but haven't heard a thing back from them. I can only see a couple of the H6's being sold on ebay for anything from 46-62 euros, which is a rip off IMHO. Where's a bundled ST + H6 Asus?

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,499 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Native ASIO doesn't support 96, 192 (resamples to 48 or even 40? see pic). Use KS or WASAPI untill they (Asus) make good ASIO as they promise.

There is a new set that is being tested by a few people right now that allows no resampling for ASIO and changes the smapling rate accordingly.
When using ASIO output, all the effects, volume etc have no function.
Which is normal when using such drivers atleast in my experience with other cards.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #1,500 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by shimm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wasapi also doesn't work. What is "native" ASIO? I use ASIO 4all v2 Foobar plug-in and it plays 96 and 192 files smoothly. Does this still mean that ST downsamples them all the time?
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back