Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,457 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by bogglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know what kind of opamps I can use to tame the high end of the very common HD650 + Essence ST combo? I don't think people I've read many complaints about this combo being bright (?) with the stock opamps, but I am finding it kind of fatiguing to listen to rock/pop music on these cans with a flat EQ. I'm really enjoying audiophile grade and jazz recordings but even though the HD-650s have a rep for a laid back presentation, I'm finding the highs a little aggressive. Suggestions?

I'm currently using a tube amp instead of the built in one with my 650's. I will test them with my current opamps and let you know what i think.
Just be aware that what i think is bright sound might not be the same for you.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #1,458 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people have been asking me for the Beta's. I don't htink you will be waiting too much longer for the released versions. Maybe I will ask and see what I can do for the peopel that have been asking. I will keep you posted.

Did you ever hear anything about binaries for Linux from them?
I know there's the open ones that are coming along nicely...
But it'd be cool if Asus themselves are actively developing a binary (closed) dvr for Linux too.

P.S.
you need to clear some PM's, must be a popular guy :wink:

Mar 26, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #1,459 of 1,781
Quote:

Are you using the proper setting on the headphone amplifer as this usually seems to be the reason for brightness. You will have to change out the I/V opamps...

When you say proper setting, do you mean extra high gain? They're 300 so I figured that was correct.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #1,460 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by bogglor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say proper setting, do you mean extra high gain? They're 300 so I figured that was correct.

The tenadancy for some is to over amp them which gives way too much gain and makes the card too bright. How does high gain sound to you?

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #1,461 of 1,781
Quote:

The tenadancy for some is to over amp them which gives way too much gain and makes the card too bright. How does high gain sound to you?

High gain does sound a bit less bright, you're right. Unfortunately, it's at the cost of a little bass (so it seems from initial listening). I think I will stick with this for a bit and see how it goes.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #1,464 of 1,781
Hi everyone

After reading so much positive about this card i think i would get the ST.

And as i understand this card is good with HD650, but is is also a good match to the Denon AH-D5000/7000?

Thanks in advance

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #1,465 of 1,781
The card can electrically drive any headphone-thats has been tested with them in the thread. Many people have tried the cards with the HD650's. I can't remember any user with the Denons but I cannot see any issue as the can amplifer chip has loads of power. To note, some with higher end headphones use the ST/STX as a DAC and send the line out to an external headphones amplifer for higher grade sound.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #1,466 of 1,781
Quote:

The card can electrically drive any headphone-thats has been tested with them in the thread. Many people have tried the cards with the HD650's. I can't remember any user with the Denons but I cannot see any issue as the can amplifer chip has loads of power. To note, some with higher end headphones use the ST/STX as a DAC and send the line out to an external headphones amplifer for higher grade sound.

Many thanks for your reply

My mainreason to get this card is the headpone amp. I realy hope this card would benefit my cans more than my receiver(Onkyo 905 surround), becuase the bass i lacking now with the HD650.

I have read much about this card, and all expert reviwers are more than happy with it so i quess its a save choice.

I have also followed the threads about this card in here, but it goes to teknically for me.

I have also seen that many use the line out to their HP, and wounder why?. Do you loose the benefit of the amp if you use line out?

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #1,467 of 1,781
Well the opinions of this card from people that have actually tested are great. Both the STX and ST use high quality components and the measurements are some of the best seen in any PC audio gear.

Some use the line out for speakers. You can use the line out if you have headphones with low impedance as they do not require the amplifier. Technically the line out is of higher quality then the can output. There are also a few mods to improve it further.

Were you playing with the bass redirection when using the headphones?
Have a look in there and adjust it and see if it helps. Usually bass redirection is used
for surround system but these cards allow you to set the bass cutoff for your cans also, IIRC.
which OS are you using?

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #1,468 of 1,781
Quote:

Well the opinions of this card frompeopel that have actually tested are great. Botht he STX and ST use high quality components and the measurments are some of the best seen in any PC audio gear.

Some use the line out for speakers. You can use the lineout if you have heapdheons with low impedance as they do not require the amplifer. Technically the line out is of higher quality then the can output. There are also a few mods to improve it further.

Were you playing with the bass redirection when using the headphones?
Have a look in there and adjust it and see if it helps. Usually bass redirection is used
for surround system but these cards allow you to set the bass cutoff for your cans also, IIRC.
which OS are you using?

Thanks for your help agian

As my English is abit rusty, i think you have misunderstud me. I do not have the card yet, so i only use my receiver now. As i have the HD650 and the Denon AH-D5000 all the experts tell me i must have an real amp to them. The Denon is maybe a low impedance can, but would also benefit from a good amp. I dont think many AH-D users use their can without a real amp...well exept me then. But i realy think they need better sound than my receiver can give them.

I have never owned HP before so the only reference to the sound i have is my frontspeakers(floorstanders), and hopefully with amp they could sound as good as my speakers.

I also wounder if someone have compared the xonar essence stx/st HP with receivers HP jack

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #1,469 of 1,781
Ah, I see yes the headphones amplifier would probably give you much more power then the output on a receiver. I have not tested that receiver though.
The ST drive the HD650 great according to users.

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #1,470 of 1,781
I have tested using my receiver as a headphone amp with my 650's and it sounds OK to me. But I have a dedicated headphone amplifier, and already changed the opamp's and the sound quality is just so much better. That being said I have yet to try my HD 650's through the headphone amp, I will try it as soon as I have time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back