Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 18, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #1,442 of 1,781
S/Pdif is orginally spec'd for stereo output. The DDL and DTS-C are encoders which take the audio and encode it to either Dolby Digital or DTS but the encoders are lossy.
Aside from these there is really nothing else to allow normal audio or gaming audio to be sent over a S/Pdif output.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #1,443 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Glad you are enjoying them. Many actually suggest they like these over the legendary 627's... I think they both sound very similar.

I might add here that some people suggest the Senn's HD650 sound veiled.
Before depending what I was listening too you could say music had that "feel" to it. Now that slight "veil" has been reduced somehow and you feel a little bit closer to the music.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #1,444 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by forciano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might add here that some people suggest the Senn's HD650 sound veiled.
Before depending what I was listening too you could say music had that "feel" to it. Now that slight "veil" has been reduced somehow and you feel a little bit closer to the music.

So the OPA827's have lifted the veil a bit on your HD650's?
Great, glad they are giving you a marked improvment in your sound system.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #1,445 of 1,781
****!

I just got my Asus Xonar D1. I first had to use the restoree.exe to even be able to install the drivers: Xonar EEPROM Failure - AlsaProject

Then i fire up foobar 2000. For 5 seconds it sounds good. Then suddenly the stereo image dissapears. It plays just mono and it sounds distorted. When I go into control panel and do speaker check, LEFT & RIGHT comes from the middle, not left & right side.

What is wrong?? The music is totally distorted also. if I unplug the headphones and replug them, the left & right separation is back, and music is normal. ...... the opamps fails driving the AKG K 701 directly ???

Kris

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,446 of 1,781
follow up:

I just reconnected the analog out, and now it is OK. Hmm... anyways, the sound is quite good. Its more detailed and more depth than onboard. It is warm and a little tuby sounding. Not bad. I use it with a tube amp, so well, i wont hear all the features in the sound anyways.

But the tube amp makes alot of difference, it sounds thin with small soundstage without it. But I am not sure if that is b/c the tubes or amping in general. I guess both...

K

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #1,447 of 1,781
I connected my AKG directly into the Xonar D1 for a while. I must admit - the sound is sweet. Its not sharp, but a bit 'close' so can be fatiguing anyhow.

So it is true like people say - the sound is dark, tuby and warm... but well. it is also muddy and may be to dark. The details are not coming out too really well either. So maybe I should have gone for the D2 like you guys said.

The D1 is OK. But not really that much of an upgrade from Onboard. A little bit, but not much..... a bit too much bass?

Is the D2 and ST as bassy as the D1?
smily_headphones1.gif

Kristian

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #1,450 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marantz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the new drivers coming along by the way?

They sound good and offer auto bit rate adjustment through ASIO so I think they are goign to be aroudn soon. Some are testing them right now.
wink.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #1,451 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound good and offer auto bit rate adjustment through ASIO so I think they are goign to be aroudn soon. Some are testing them right now.
wink.gif

I can help beta test them, with all my 30+ installed games
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #1,453 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by forciano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can help beta test them, with all my 30+ installed games
biggrin.gif

Many people have been asking me for the Beta's. I don't htink you will be waiting too much longer for the released versions. Maybe I will ask and see what I can do for the peopel that have been asking. I will keep you posted.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #1,454 of 1,781
I have to say - I am very impressed by the Xonar D1 soundcard. It is more musical and nicer sounding than anything I have ever tried. Even standalone CDPs.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #1,455 of 1,781
Does anyone know what kind of opamps I can use to tame the high end of the very common HD650 + Essence ST combo? I don't think people I've read many complaints about this combo being bright (?) with the stock opamps, but I am finding it kind of fatiguing to listen to rock/pop music on these cans with a flat EQ. I'm really enjoying audiophile grade and jazz recordings but even though the HD-650s have a rep for a laid back presentation, I'm finding the highs a little aggressive. Suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back