Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 7, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #1,396 of 1,781
Providing there is no issues within the mechanism and the driver isn't overly jittery, I seriously doubt there would be any difference between rips.

I would suggest EAC or others that allow you to correct any ripping errors and present you with a exact copy of the data.

Mar 7, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #1,397 of 1,781
Got the Essence ST!! Can't wait to get back from work to try it.

Just for the records, here in Moscow it is about $15 cheaper than the STX. I would guess it is for "marketing" reasons.

Many thanks to my wife who decided: "enough is enough, I will get this one!!" after weeks of "should I buy this or that?".

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #1,399 of 1,781
Here are my preliminary impressions after testing with a run-of-the-mill Creative HQ1500 and an old AKG 271 studio a co-worker lent to me:

1. the sound is GREAT on both headphones.
2. it works as I intended regarding the xbox and the analog input. Too bad it can't take any kind of digital input, let alone Dolby Digital, it would have been perfect.
3. I can't hear a lot of difference between the Creative and the AKG headphones... Guess I don't have as golden ears as a lot of people here.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #1,400 of 1,781
Yes, these cards sound quite good with some good cans. Actually they sound excellent in surround sound also.
The S/Pdif input would have been a great addition also.
You haven't had the card that long so give the card a chance to settle, some suggest the opamps and caps "burn-in" after awhile, some say no.

Enjoy your card.

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #1,402 of 1,781
You mean that do SPDIF-in for Dolby/DTS encoded content & subsequently decode it?
That is exactly what we were talking about earlier in this thread...

I want it so my HTPC can emulate all functionality of adapters like the Mixamp or Victor SU-DH1.
Only older cards I believe, I asked Rob for specific models a little while ago.

From memory the creative audigy range, & nVdia nforce-based motherboards might've had that ability.

Mar 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #1,404 of 1,781
I need answer to this. I am using a modded X-can v2 + AKG K 701.

I have the offer of getting either the D2 or D1 on the cheap (both used). I am only going to play stereo and I feel that tube amps somewhat massage the sound, so you dont get all the details anways.

Should i get the D1 or D2? The D2 is prices 2x the D1.. again its only for stereo use. The opamp and DAC is a little better on the D2?

Can anyone comment on the sound on the D1 vs D2? Is the D2 more musical? warmer? woody sound? or do they sound about the same??? I want a honest opinion on this!

Thanks guys! great!

Kris

(I am passing on the ST because of price and somewhat too much details i heard)

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,405 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off hand, Creative cards, some Audigy 2, Audigy 4, X-fi...the features may have been axed in Vista,Win7 for DRM.

So you reckon it's unlikely one could run a 2nd card (one of these) that'd be used for SPDIF-in Dolby/DTS decode in Win7?
I guess none of them even have dvrs that are compatible w/Win7, guess you could use compatibility mode though?
This is just a last resort if it turns out AC3 aren't still actively working on a filter that takes care of DTS/Dolby decode for any sound-card digi-in.

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #1,406 of 1,781
The only card I can confirm 100% to be able to receive Dolby Digital is the Audigy 2 ZS notebook using Daniel K's drivers. I have it, tested and it works though I had serious clipping when routing the sound to the headphone.

I can also confirm that "Dolby Digital Decoding" doesn't work with stock Creative drivers.

Also, a little perk I noticed: once you set the card to "Dolby Digital Decoding" on the digital input, it will ONLY accept that input. If the input changes to PCM, it won't decode it unlike the JVC and AstroAMP units.

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,407 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by riderforever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any soundcard with a s/pdif IN accepting Dolby Digital 5.1 on it?

it was thoroughly discussed on doom9 IIRC, and consumer grade gear is really not supposed to capture DD/DTS over S/PDIF...you're only supposed to decode it, capturing it would be seen as evil piracy
anthis%2050.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #1,408 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by kumaiti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only card I can confirm 100% to be able to receive Dolby Digital is the Audigy 2 ZS notebook using Daniel K's drivers. I have it, tested and it works though I had serious clipping when routing the sound to the headphone.

So it only decodes DD 5.1, what about DTS?
Aren't some of the other Audigy cards a little more capable?

Forgotten what clipping is...
Isn't that when sound gets distorted because the volume's too loud?

Will these K's dvrs work on some of the other Audigy cards?
More importantly will they work in Win7! (compatibility mode I guess?)

This is pushing my luck...
But do you know if there's any ALSA dvrs being developed for these older cards?

Quote:

I can also confirm that "Dolby Digital Decoding" doesn't work with stock Creative drivers.

Great, so it doesn't work with stock dvrs when they advertised it as one of the cards features, why am I not surprised, sheesh!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Also, a little perk I noticed: once you set the card to "Dolby Digital Decoding" on the digital input, it will ONLY accept that input. If the input changes to PCM, it won't decode it unlike the JVC and AstroAMP units.

I'm not quite getting what you're saying here, could you perhaps rephrase?

Thanks!
Sorry for getting so OT everyone!
redface.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #1,409 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it was thoroughly discussed on doom9 IIRC, and consumer grade gear is really not supposed to capture DD/DTS over S/PDIF...you're only supposed to decode it, capturing it would be seen as evil piracy
anthis%2050.gif

Will def. be posting there along with the AC3 forums, thanks!

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #1,410 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you reckon it's unlikely one could run a 2nd card (one of these) that'd be used for SPDIF-in Dolby/DTS decode in Win7?
I guess none of them even have dvrs that are compatible w/Win7, guess you could use compatibility mode though?
This is just a last resort if it turns out AC3 aren't still actively working on a filter that takes care of DTS/Dolby decode for any sound-card digi-in.

I run multiple cards all the time. Some may have issues, what I was worried about is Win7 preventing the DD/DTS input over S/Pdif.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back