Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Mar 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #1,336 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what you are after. Some say they hear a difference and other say not so much. The ST offers the H6 option also for surround sound.

Hi...thanks
I have poor speakers system (Logitech Z-3e)...but I don't have plans to upgrade them.
Mostly the sound card will be used for my AH-D7000, so I doń't care about H6 too much.
Which one do you prefer? I know that ST has better clock...but older bus...hmm

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #1,338 of 1,781
Ok
wink.gif
let me ask you something else
Is STX better in any aspect at all?

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #1,340 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by MS3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok
wink.gif
let me ask you something else
Is STX better in any aspect at all?

They have different signatures I find.

Maybe you should wait and see how the Sennheiser/Xonar turns out.
The Xonar Xense...

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #1,342 of 1,781
Wow.. Xonar Xense?!!

Did a quick google... looks golden and shiny shiny... nice one... :p

704347950.jpg

asus_xonar_xsense.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #1,343 of 1,781
I am about to buy an essence STX or an ST. A few burning questions affecting my purchase decision. I am going to be using an Emotiva UPA-2 2X amplifier for my axiom speakers when they come. This amplifier does not have a volume control and requires a pre-amp. Will the essence be able to act as this pre-amp? AFAIK the UPA-2 requires 1.4V to to be driven to maximum power with an input impedance of 47k ohms.
Second question: Can I use the H6 add-on board with the STX as well? My impression is that the H6 is PCI-e only right? That's the reason I want to go for the ST as I have only one free PCI-e slot available on my current mother board.
Third question: If I buy the ST, will PCI slots be obsolete in about 3-5 years when I upgrade my motherboard? Is it on its way out already?

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,344 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.. Xonar Xense?!!

Did a quick google... looks golden and shiny shiny... nice one... :p

704347950.jpg

asus_xonar_xsense.jpg

Cool huh? I mentioned the card in the last page, I guess people missed the reference. There is still a great deal of information that is missing from the public released blurbs. Such as no official specifications..etc.
I am hoping to get some better pics and actual card specs very soon.
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #1,345 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
STX makes sense, separate power source rather than motherboard circuitry.

I have not heard ST but I bought STX for that reason.

Would you agree with that as the primary reason for an STX over the ST Rob?

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #1,346 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you agree with that as the primary reason for an STX over the ST Rob?

The st has the power connector on it too,the cards are nearly the same apart from the st's clock and the st is pci and has the expansion header and the stx is pci express,i have the st and love it.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #1,348 of 1,781
Sorry this is way OT so moderator please feel free to move...
But I've been investigating in-depth which of these two DH adapters I should get (may yet buy from diff retailers)
AudioCubes.com - JVC SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter - SU-DH1 -
Astro Gaming | Professional Gaming Equipment | MixAmp™

And I've just had an epiphany...
Shouldn't a HTPC set-up with a decent card & the right software be able to emulate "all" the functions of both these devices,
And do it with more flexibility and better quality?!

Sure they can be useful where one doesn't have easy access to a Windows machine that can do all the Dolby formats.
But in a living room where one already has a HTPC running Windows (ytd whether some of it is possible in Linux) they're entirely redundant.

Wouldn't you agree?

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #1,349 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry this is way OT so moderator please feel free to move...
But I've been investigating in-depth which of these two DH adapters I should get (may yet buy from diff retailers)
AudioCubes.com - JVC SU-DH1 Surround Headphone Adapter - SU-DH1 -
Astro Gaming | Professional Gaming Equipment | MixAmp™

And I've just had an epiphany...
Shouldn't a HTPC set-up with a decent card & the right software be able to emulate "all" the functions of both these devices,
And do it with more flexibility and better quality?!

Sure they can be useful where one doesn't have easy access to a Windows machine that can do all the Dolby formats.
But in a living room where one already has a HTPC running Windows (ytd whether some of it is possible in Linux) they're entirely redundant.

Wouldn't you agree?

Yes, many use receivers for routing features and amplification.
a good HTPC would have all the features of a receiver, except maybe the routing and the amplification as the PC offers line level signal I/O. I was going to buy a receiver but figured why bother?
Just for amplification? I am working with a 6 channel class-D amplifer instead and using the PC. All the latest formats can be handled either with add-in hardware or coding.
Not sure if that is what you were getting at but, hope it helps.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #1,350 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to buy a receiver but figured why bother?

Because of HD audio?

That wasn't a rethorical question, I can't really much info on how Essence/Forte/Bravura behave with bluray playback.

Any experience on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back