Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Feb 10, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #1,276 of 1,781
Well that explains it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the sliders on maximum in d1 & ST but i couldn't hear the very bad effects of limiting on ST of course cause it would take far more volume than with d1. Volume that is hurting the ears.

With extra high gain (+18db) + mixer sliders at 100% you have a very small window to work with on windows sound.
I mean, i had the windows volume 8-10 and that was enough for music and games.

Btw i use a slightly altered equalizer (in foobar only, not on asus panel) with auto level as well.
It shouldn't distort the sound much, right? (on good quality files it's working fine. Only on the very poor you might have some problems with bass)

equalizer.jpg

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #1,277 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that explains it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I had the sliders on maximum in d1 & ST but i couldn't hear the very bad effects of limiting on ST of course cause it would take far more volume than with d1. Volume that is hurting the ears.

With extra high gain (+18db) + mixer sliders at 100% you have a very small window to work with on windows sound.
I mean, i had the windows volume 8-10 and that was enough for music and games.

Btw i use a slightly altered equalizer (in foobar only, not on asus panel) with auto level as well.
It shouldn't distort the sound much, right? (on good quality files it's working fine. Only on the very poor you might have some problems with bass)

equalizer.jpg

Set to low gain & retest with main volume all the way up as well & you will hear the limiting.

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #1,278 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Allowing the soundcard to upsample the signal reduces jitter as there is no clock for 44.1KHz & Xonar has a superb samplerate converter.

Very intresting analysis!

But how we know that there is no clock for 44.1KHZ? Is there any manufacturer's reference in specs which I cannot see? Or this is a discovery through your background?

And does that mean that jitter in this case is absolutely uncontroled? Because, after "STEREOPHILES" jitter measurement for STX, we may hope that ST's jitter is about 125 ps, (180 ps - 31%). But without clock for 44.1 KHZ, (the missing is only for this frequency), without upsampling it may be whatever it likes!

000203FA.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #1,279 of 1,781
germanium,
Thanks for the info on the sliders. I have set them back to 76%. I checked out my X-Fi Elite card in audio creation mode and its sliders are set at 75% and shows the dB at 0. Moving the sliders to 100% adds a 12 dB gain. I think this is the same gain that the mixer in Essence in doing and thus it was referenced as a 12 dB gain in the Stereophile article that I quoted earlier.

Now I wonder why they chose 76% as the default and maybe 75% would actually be 0 dB.

Feb 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,280 of 1,781
Freestyle

Could you elaborate a little on the sound difference betwen ST and D1?

1) Which is the warmer sound?
2) Does the D1 have the same 'wooden' sound as other of the Xonar range and ST? Is D1 as warm and musical as ST is my question?
3) Which is the most fatiguing?

K

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #1,281 of 1,781
Well i can't exactly tell you their differences since i don't have a separate amp.
So with d1 i didn't use senns hd650 but a headset (senns pc 160).
So basically i went from d1 & headset to ST & hd650.

I'm not familiar much with the "audiophile" terms but if you want to read a noob's journey (aka wall of text) into the "head-fi" world, go on and read ahead.

Around 3 years ago my first dive into the more expensive headphone world was hd650 and a corda cantate. I bought them at the same time without ever before having a prior listen to any other high end headphones.

With that in mind i was expecting something completely "magical". Insane bass enough to shake your head, extreme soundstage, and "club feeling". (i mainly listen to trance / vocal trance but i can really appreciate everything that is good)
Can't exactly describe it with words but i was really expecting to be completely thrown away by the sound for my new expensive investment. (330 euros for the cans and 450 for the amp)

So when they both finally arrived i burned them in for around 6 days.
Boy i was disappointed. It wasn't even close to what i was expecting.
I was like "where is the bass everyone talked about that hd650 got?"
I was expecting something more dynamic. To feel the voice, the instruments, the bass, everything to be more "alive".

In corda cantate's defense, i only used it together with it's DAC which wasn't really the selling point of the amp and also i didn't change the gain of the amp. Which i think it needed another scale to drive the 650's better.

Combined with the "veiled" sound (now i see why everyone talked about that characteristic of the cans) and not testing the amp properly made me prefer the sound of my headset + audigy ls rather than my new equipment.
At least i had the sound "in my face" and it was better for games when i wanted to hear footsteps etc.

Did i dive too deep on my first contact with head-fi? Maybe, but all this led me to decide to sell both my cans and amp and maybe after some months to buy something cheaper like ad700 or dt880 and not bother much with amps and stuff.

I sold the amp but couldn't find anyone to sell the headphones. So they were stuck in their box for almost 2 years (still smell as new) without ever trying them again. (what's to try with the audigy ls anyway)
I bought a new pc and the new mobo didn't recognize my old audigy so it was time for a new card cause the onboard realtek is easily the worst piece of electronic equipment i have ever come αcrossed. Period.

Even tho i play games every day, i value music more so i decided to buy a xonar card.
I was highly satisfied by it & my headset and i promoted it to many friends and got around 4 more people to buy it.

Since it was so good for my headset i decided to give it a go with my senn 650 just for the "kicks".
While with d1 you could get high volumes with hd650's, the sound was flat and not enjoyable.
But it was enough to spark my interest again about those headphones. I knew they had much more to offer than with what i've seen so far.

Also with 3 years passed i got my hands around some more quality music so i decided to give it another go.
But this time i didn't want to spend very much on amp / dac cause my budget was very limited plus the disappointment would be lower if i wasn't satisfied again :p

And here i am with ST. This time around i had a more realistic idea of what headphones in general are able to achieve.
For example i knew i could never get the bass that you can get with a subwoofer ofc. Simple physics. The low frequencies need more space to travel to extend to their full etc.

I never knew my headphones could sound so "alive" and so (i don't know the english word for it so i'm gonna use google translate) "vigorously / perky".
It certainly feels more aggressive than with d1.
I can see why some might be a little annoyed from the trebles of the card with some cans especially on higher volumes but i like it. (650's aren't known to be so bright anyway)
From my little time with my previous amp i can say for sure that the cantate was a lot "warmer".

When the recording is good (and lossless) it's really a joy to listen.
But i quickly learned about the "loudness war" and it's effects.
Good recordings vs poor stuff (not in file quality) it's day and night to spot the differences.

Also i never experienced fatigue with either of those cards / cans combo and trust me when i say i listen to headphones all day. (no speakers)
And i know what fatigue is like cause when i use some old closed type philips headphones i bought many years ago when i go to my hometown, you get discomfort pretty fast from listening to them. Could be the closed design with extreme isolation and the pressure that is created. I just know i can't listen long periods with them.

Too long didn't read version: I'm satisfied with the result for the money i paid.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #1,282 of 1,781
Hey guys, I have confirmed with the powers that be at ASUS that they will be releasing a new and improved driver set the the public for the STX/ST.

Yes, they will provide "bit perfect" output.

These new drivers are low latency and based on what I have seen they provide some very impressive numbers in comparison to previous releases.

While still in early Beta stage they provide what some of you have been after, using ASIO to acheive bit perfect output. There are a few other details the you might find interesting about the driver but I don't want to release all the surprises...

Stay tuned for more information and updates.

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #1,284 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I have confirmed with the powers that be at ASUS that they will be releasing a new and improved driver set the the public for the STX/ST.

Yes, they will provide "bit perfect" output.

These new drivers are low latency and based on what I have seen they provide some very impressive numbers in comparison to previous releases.

While still in early Beta stage they provide what some of you have been after, using ASIO to acheive bit perfect output. There are a few other details the you might find interesting about the driver but I don't want to release all the surprises...

Stay tuned for more information and updates.

Was anything mentioned about more solid GNU/Linux support, or will that remain entirely up to the generosity of the community?

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #1,286 of 1,781
Rob, is there a user swappable opamp in the mic preamp or Line In section? The manual just gives brief info about it having a built in mic preamp, but doesn't mention if it has the same socketed opamps.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #1,287 of 1,781
No, the opamps are soldered to the board. Personally I never use the cards mic inputs as they are usually very poor quality in comparison to gear meant for "real recording".
I have alot of recording gear so I usually use mic preamps for such things.
The line inputs on these cards are surprisingly good, specification wise.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #1,288 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the opamps are soldered to the board. Personally I never use the cards mic inputs as they are usually very poor quality in comparison to gear meant for "real recording".
I have alot of recording gear so I usually use mic preamps for such things.
The line inputs on these cards are surprisingly good, specification wise.

I'd be using the Line In, but it's a shared connection with the Mic In. Hoping it would be a decent ADC capture when fed by my AudioSector phonostage to rip vinyl into the PC. Otherwise I need to buy a used M-Audio Audiophile FireWire.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #1,289 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by freestyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i can't exactly tell you their differences since i don't have a separate amp......

Too long didn't read version: I'm satisfied with the result for the money i paid.

Man.. that's great story, I can only say I've had similar experience, and I am satisfied with my money spent on Xonar.
jecklinsmile.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,290 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be using the Line In, but it's a shared connection with the Mic In. Hoping it would be a decent ADC capture when fed by my AudioSector phonostage to rip vinyl into the PC. Otherwise I need to buy a used M-Audio Audiophile FireWire.

The ADC on this card is quite good the specifications seem more then suitable for ripping some vinyl. To note, does your phono stage have a Pre-amp? If not then you will need to get one as the output of a turntable is way too low to be used with a line input. Some come with pre-amps built in and some do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back