Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jan 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,171 of 1,781
X-Fi is just not a go really regarding those incredible driver bloat/issues. If there was EAX support in Vista/win 7 - the choice would have been easy. Vista audio stack effectively killed Creatives 20 years domination in soundcard market.

I still remember when I got the 8bit Soundblaster Pro II - running in a ISA port - it was the king of the days. Incredible sound and quality - and it stayed that way until the Sb Live which was a disaster. Then they got their last nail with the new audio stack(which is better for everyone).

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #1,172 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X-Fi is just not a go really regarding those incredible driver bloat/issues. If there was EAX support in Vista/win 7 - the choice would have been easy. Vista audio stack effectively killed Creatives 20 years domination in soundcard market.

I still remember when I got the 8bit Soundblaster Pro II - running in a ISA port - it was the king of the days. Incredible sound and quality - and it stayed that way until the Sb Live which was a disaster. Then they got their last nail with the new audio stack(which is better for everyone).

You do realize there is EAX support in vista and win 7 right?

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #1,174 of 1,781
I cant comment on the D1 + K701, but ive used the D1 with the K601 and it sounded tinny, harsh and had zero bass. Definitely needed amplification. If youve got external amplification, then it should be ok i guess, otherwise it should definitely be the ST IMO

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,175 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant comment on the D1 + K701, but ive used the D1 with the K601 and it sounded tinny, harsh and had zero bass. Definitely needed amplification. If youve got external amplification, then it should be ok i guess, otherwise it should definitely be the ST IMO

I found the DX/D1 decent enough for the price. It is an entry level card and worth about $80 so you can really only expect so much from these cards. As you said though, your cans play a very large roll in the signature you hear, some people seem to forget that.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #1,176 of 1,781
But I really dont want a soundcard that is so detailed that PC games are unbearable. That is what i am worrying about - also this intense fatigue som people talk about.

The D1 according to reviews are as good as D2 really - just without all the bliss; and it is better than most creative offerings.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #1,177 of 1,781
Christ sake - it cannot be worse than analog out(motherboard) on my laptop or workstation?? the D1 i mean. Specially not as D2 wipes the floor, and D1 is the D2 but abit scaled back.

Jan 26, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #1,178 of 1,781
I'd call some games mono'ish on the STX...didn't bother trying on the ST
biggrin.gif

Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 6) - X-bit labs
Quote:

If Dolby Headphone is not enabled, the Xonar Essence STX gives you no sense of direction towards the sound at all.

Q4 runs OpenAL btw, and my experience in Q3 was identical...ppl don't buy these cards to play games essentially..and some ppl don't like DH either.

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #1,179 of 1,781
Quote:

Christ sake - it cannot be worse than analog out(motherboard) on my laptop or workstation?? the D1 i mean. Specially not as D2 wipes the floor, and D1 is the D2 but abit scaled back.

I said it was decent for the price. You should like it just fine if you have been using onboards etc..
No, the D1 is NOT a scaled back D2 it is a PCI verison of the DX.

As for your comment on detail, a card cannot add more detail then what is there just some guys are so used to veiled, muddy washed out cards that when they hear a source that allows the detail to come through it is hard to handle until they get used to it.
If your looking for a card for games have the X-fi cards not entered your mind for a possible card?

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #1,180 of 1,781
I hate creative drivers so never... and remember, vista audio stack dont support EAX without that alchemy person software. Half life games uses their own software DSP in-engine and soforth. OpenAL is supported on Asus. onboard supports neither...

Auzentech cards are great - but as all is damn X-FI I dont want them anymore. I want small drivers and ASUS got it.

The D1 vs D2 in many reviews people say is neglible. The D1 is one hell of a package - meaning value.

the ST is very tempting, specially with the AKG K 701s. But I am not sure if I want ot use thise tube amp or not. Tubes are nice in many occations - bring some magic. But trust me - even good tube amps have LESS bass than analog out of my laptop
wink.gif
and it is no joke...

But i agree - its difficult.... Xonar st ? or d1?

Jan 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #1,181 of 1,781
Quote:

I hate creative drivers so never... and remember, vista audio stack dont support EAX without that alchemy person software. Half life games uses their own software DSP in-engine and soforth. OpenAL is supported on Asus. onboard supports neither...

The Vista audio stack can support EAX just fine. what Vista does not support is Direct Sound HAL. Which is an API that can run the EAX effect set and was used in XP and earlier OS's.
However, EAX can still be run just fine using the OpenAL API which is still fully hardware acclerated in Vista..etc as that is why older games need the ALchemy wrapper as it converts Directsound calls to OpenAL calls. The EAX effects still remain the same in the game. OpenAL is still in development and fully hadrware accelerated if you have the right hardware.

Quote:

Auzentech cards are great - but as all is damn X-FI I dont want them anymore. I want small drivers and ASUS got it.

Yes, they are the champs for hardware effect gaming right now.
Quote:

The D1 vs D2 in many reviews people say is neglible. The D1 is one hell of a package - meaning value.

Sure, if the card has the features you want then it is a good card for you.
However, if your thinking a $80 D1 will sound like a $200 D2, you might be dissapointed.
Quote:

the ST is very tempting, specially with the AKG K 701s. But I am not sure if I want ot use thise tube amp or not. Tubes are nice in many occations - bring some magic. But trust me - even good tube amps have LESS bass than analog out of my laptop
wink.gif
and it is no joke...

But i agree - its difficult.... Xonar st ? or d1?

Buy the one that has the features and price point you want. I like the DX/D1 and have recommended them to many people that have a set budget they are a great sounding card for the price. Good luck with your purchase!

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,182 of 1,781
ROBSCIX - they have the same chipset as Elite Pro.

I am not that much on a budget. I play games like Left for Dead 2. the sound effects are not in 320kbit. Some ripped movies are like 128bit. With the Essence + the see through AKG K 701 - I am a bit afraid that this will destroy joy with most stuff except the best ripped FLAC music.

I think the D1 will suffice. I have tried alot of stuff and the highend things always disappoint me. The Bursan HA100(check it out) headphone amp was sweet enough, but just a monster on the desk. it also was a little 'quiet' but exceptional wide soundstage. The widest soundstage I have ever heard - in my life.

Still the analog output of a MAC laptop suprise me everytime. How does it do it? Every song just sound so lush and nice. Even coupled on speakers, playing a XVID - it sounds good. haha - its just incredible.

Jan 27, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,183 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd call some games mono'ish on the STX...didn't bother trying on the ST
biggrin.gif

Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 6) - X-bit labs

Q4 runs OpenAL btw, and my experience in Q3 was identical...ppl don't buy these cards to play games essentially..and some ppl don't like DH either.

I'll have to agree on that point. I have the d1 currently and i expect the ST to arrive any day now.
I play lots of Cod 4 and it's just very hard to distinguish where the footsteps are coming from.
Also i can't know if someone is coming from behind me exactly. It sounds the same as if he is coming from the front. Getting knifed by noobs from behind just cause you didn't think someone was there, is not funny.

Someone would expect that getting a separate sound card would you give an advantage on online fps's but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Dolby headphone mode i'd say it's kind of a joke. Sure you get better positional but the sound is completely altered. Gun fires does not sound the same anymore.
The whole thing sounds un-natural.

It was better with my old creative audigy ls and i don't expect this situation to change with the ST.

But for music and movies (also very good at games, just not when you critically need directional audio for FPS's) it's really amazing krisno. All my hard believer friends agree with that after the upgraded from their onboard piece of s**t.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #1,185 of 1,781
Quote:

I am not that much on a budget. I play games like Left for Dead 2. the sound effects are not in 320kbit. Some ripped movies are like 128bit. With the Essence + the see through AKG K 701 - I am a bit afraid that this will destroy joy with most stuff except the best ripped FLAC music.

Why not upgrade the source material instead of going for a sub-optimal soundcard to mask bad sources? I'd use some budget to buy a larger hard drive that will store FLACs and movies with >750 kbit/s DTS soundtracks. You know it makes sense :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back