Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jan 24, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #1,141 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my music lively because that is what I hear in real live concerts.

The sort of loud live concerts that impair higher frequency hearing? Maybe that's part of the reason you prefer a lively home stereo?

I can't comment on the ST as Asus didn't get their act together and get decent distribution here in the Netherlands, especially for the daughter card they promised. What I can say is that I've been searching for detailed but non-fatiguing sound for years and following Lee Perry's example I had my Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 upgraded by Jesse of Gooi PC's with the following:

12x Panasonic FM 1000uf 16V
8x Wima FKP2 1nf
9x Vishay MKP1839 1uf
6x Sanyo OSCON SH 6.8uf 16V
1x 7912ACV (voltage regulator)
1x 7812ACV
2x LME49720HA opamps
1x Audio GD Earth opamp

and it sounds fantastic! Velvety is the only adjective I can think of to describe it. Admittedly I had already upgraded to a smooth Marantz PM 17 amplifier, but the unmodded HD2 still sounded very harsh on it.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #1,142 of 1,781
Alexander: A scary description of the asus xonar you are giving.... what headphones do you use?

I too am a bit confused if the card is smooth or harsh, dark or bright. everyone just get a Xonar DS and keep the change.

Overly detailed is tiredsome... the x-dac v3 had 132db noise floor, it ruined just every recording on headphones.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #1,143 of 1,781
Pioneer SE-A40. Its a very cheap and old headphone that I'm using for years now. I tryed some other headphones but I couldn't stick with them. But I'm still planning to upgrade the headphone when I have found a high-end soundcard that has the sound signature that I want.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #1,144 of 1,781
Because of all this trashing of the essence st - and no other good alternative as creative have the most bloated drivers in the world - I will cancel the ST and go for the Asus Xonar D1 instead. It seems to be tremendous value... I just dont want this fatigue problem, I have had it long enough with the AKG K 701s.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #1,145 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of all this trashing of the essence st - and no other good alternative as creative have the most bloated drivers in the world - I will cancel the ST and go for the Asus Xonar D1 instead. It seems to be tremendous value... I just dont want this fatigue problem, I have had it long enough with the AKG K 701s.

Anouther possibly satisfied future owner bites the dust thanks to our resident shill.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #1,146 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anouther possibly satisfied future owner bites the dust thanks to our resident shill.

I think people sometimes have to be careful with their statements (including me) when it comes to describing why they don't like certain sound signatures on some products, there's many things to consider.

I personally was on the same boat, when trying to upgrade from my old x-fi elite card, and realized that the only way I could get a definitive answer to whether or not I would like the ST, was if I heard the card myself...

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #1,147 of 1,781
Quote:

....sad

Im going to right this in caps so it gets read.

YOU DO REALIZE 99% OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE HAVE NEVER HEARD/OWNED/LISTENED TO THE PRODUCTS THEY COMMENT ABOUT ON HERE. MOST ARE FANS BOYS AND BASH A PRODUCT BECAUSE IT IS BETTER THEN THERE OWN.

/ end rant

Jan 25, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #1,148 of 1,781
Forciano - how does your xonar essence ST sound with tubes? Are you happy with it - or fatigue?

i have been involved with 'hyper detail' through the x-dac v3, so maybe essence is the same.

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #1,149 of 1,781
Quote:

Forciano - how does your xonar essence ST sound with tubes? Are you happy with it - or fatigue?

i have been involved with 'hyper detail' through the x-dac v3, so maybe essence is the same.

The Essense is highly detailed but has a warmth to the sound that the Elite Pro misses. Both are very detailed at least on the surface but the Essense that datail goes deeper & gives better seperation of the instruments & is easier to pick out different parts of a harmony or background instruments all the while catching a better sense of the body of the instrument or voice than the elite pro ever thought of.

While I haven't heard it with tubes its sound character should go very well with tubes as it plays to thier strengths. Yes I do have experience with tubes, just not with this card.

Jan 25, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #1,150 of 1,781
... well I am not sure now. I could reorder it again - but I guess the Xonar D1 is just extremly value even though I only use stereo. You get all the same hardware dsp. But the headphone amp part is lousy. reviews are not able to descern D1 and D2. Essence probably more detailed than D2, but cant be that much better quality....

I think it will be 'ok'. The D1 uses Texas Instruments R4850 on the stereo/heaphone out and NJM5532 on the rest.

Anyone heard the R4850?

I dont understand how the essence can be fatiguing if it is so smooth and warm? Is it the details which make it fatigue on headphones?? hyperdetail?

k

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #1,151 of 1,781
Quote:

I dont understand how the essence can be fatiguing if it is so smooth and warm?

because we all hear differently? order it from a shop w/ a return policy, and if you don't like it...send it back(but don't mention it here, you'd get insulted for your non-skills). life's so simple sometimes.

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #1,152 of 1,781
Quote:

... well I am not sure now. I could reorder it again - but I guess the Xonar D1 is just extremly value even though I only use stereo. You get all the same hardware dsp. But the headphone amp part is lousy. reviews are not able to descern D1 and D2. Essence probably more detailed than D2, but cant be that much better quality....

I think it will be 'ok'. The D1 uses Texas Instruments R4850 on the stereo/heaphone out and NJM5532 on the rest.

Anyone heard the R4850?

I dont understand how the essence can be fatiguing if it is so smooth and warm? Is it the details which make it fatigue on headphones?? hyperdetail?

k

Yes, the 4580 and 5532 are very common, generic audio opamps and have been used in quite a few soundcards and a great deal of consumer audio equipment.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #1,153 of 1,781
But has anyone heard the D1/D2 vs ST / STX.

But I dont doubt this fatigue problem - but it has to do with the lower noise floor. X-DAC v3 the same. On headphones - fatiguing - on speakers not so much the problem.

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #1,155 of 1,781
the DS is not same league as D1 I think...

The D1 with replaceable opamp would be great(but it does not have it). though it is very very cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back