Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Jan 4, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #1,022 of 1,781
Actually the X-Meridian is a very good card. Still considered by many to be one of the best soundcards ever built. Especially with some high quality opamps and a few simple mods. Power caps, decoupling..etc
The XM cannot compete with the ST for measurements or component quality so it woudl be a case of subjective sound.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,023 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be amazed if you reckon the meridian sounds better overall.
But SQ is such a subjective thing it wouldn't surprise me.

Gearslutz.com - View Single Post - Beyond THD+N: How does your power amplifier REALLY perform?
Quote:

Actually, there were many scientific researches that proved that all variations of IMD, THT, THD+N tests, and all other specific tests can't be used to say how well the sound is reproduced in terms of subconscious human perceptions. And there still are some stubborn engineers and scientists who won't see any evidences.

better specs doesn't mean better SQ...that's what manufacturers want you to believe
devil_face.gif
...if it were true all the ppl who own tube amps would ditch them and use LME49722MA ear-splitting uber-low THD op-amps.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #1,025 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC,they are released in Australia and other members have posted confirmation from their distributors they are on order.

Indeed - thanks for the update - I'd missed it. It is listed on several Aussie sites.
Of course, it's a bit painful that the delta between the HDAV and the HDAV Deluxe is only ~$30AUS, but the H6 by itself lists for $100AUS.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #1,026 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed - thanks for the update - I'd missed it. It is listed on several Aussie sites.
Of course, it's a bit painful that the delta between the HDAV and the HDAV Deluxe is only ~$30AUS, but the H6 by itself lists for $100AUS.

Yes, they are coming out. Perhaps the price will drop in a bit. New hardware releases always carry the biggest price tags.

Jan 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #1,027 of 1,781
Hey guys,
I've decided to try the Essence ST. I would like to ask what opamps would suit me if I am using the gear in my sig and love my music detailed, with big soundstage and good separation. I listen mostly to jazz, fusion, progrock and funk (but still have a lot of different music). I will be using the RCA out, I guess that means I'm to switch the two buffer opamps? Would the LME49720 do best for me, or are there some other suggestions? Thanks in advance for the tips and HNY.

PS: I take it the LME49720 and LM4562 are identical?

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #1,029 of 1,781
how'd you go Kandiru?

Quote:

Interesting, please share your results....

Jan 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #1,030 of 1,781
Quote:

Sorry but that post doesn't really prove anything, it's just an opinion stated as fact.

read the whole thread, ask google....specs don't mean jack as far as SQ is concerned, otherwise noone would use tubes or discrete designs? the human brain is not meant to listen to pure sine waves, but well you'll find out by yourself over time...no worries
wink_face.gif

Jan 5, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #1,031 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by alksv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,
I've decided to try the Essence ST. I would like to ask what opamps would suit me if I am using the gear in my sig and love my music detailed, with big soundstage and good separation. I listen mostly to jazz, fusion, progrock and funk (but still have a lot of different music). I will be using the RCA out, I guess that means I'm to switch the two buffer opamps? Would the LME49720 do best for me, or are there some other suggestions? Thanks in advance for the tips and HNY.

PS: I take it the LME49720 and LM4562 are identical?

There are many different opamps people ahve been using on these cards.
The LM4562 and the LME49720 are the same as far as specs go and from what National says but people have said they hear differences.
Models will vary though, with the To-99 being the highest grade out of the line ups.

To note, the two opamps you change are the JRC 2114D's the are a "differential input current to voltage converter" usually called the "I/V opamps"
the LM4562 is the buffer...

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #1,032 of 1,781
Yes but you're assuming most specs are geared solely for promoting sine wave or other clinically measurable superiority, which I don't believe they are. Sure there's exceptions...

Anyway, this is probably not the most appropriate thread to continue this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
read the whole thread, ask google....specs don't mean jack as far as SQ is concerned, otherwise noone would use tubes or discrete designs? the human brain is not meant to listen to pure sine waves, but well you'll find out by yourself over time...no worries
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #1,033 of 1,781
Let us know Kandiru
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandiru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, that stock X-Meridian in my wife's office next door paired with another Parasound Zamp and Energy Veritas bookshelves still sounds better than my system with same amp and Xonar ST with 3-way Cantons (superior to Energy in all tests). On top of it her system is not even line conditioned.

So, guess what i found on my ebay rounds tonight? An $80 X-Meridian, got cheap and made a best offer, then realized that likely it will be gone in a few more minutes and just got it.

I do A-B comparisons on my system (have 2 PCI slots) and keep the winner. Now i need another mini-stereo to RCA gold plated L-R splitter to do my Canare interconnects justice.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #1,034 of 1,781
Quote:

Interesting, please share your results....

OK, and the winner is....Asus Xonar ST!!! This is 3 days later, switching back and forth having to swap cards as it turns out i only have one PCI slot. Did 1 swap, then just brought an Optiplex 760 also 64 bit Win7Pro loaner from the IT department, and the A-B went on. Horribly subjective decision, again both cards are bone stock.

I also made another common newb mistake with narrow beam tweetered speakers like the Cantons. I have limited space and could not turn the Bell'O
stands very well. Being the order freak that i am i had to align the speakers with the bases.

As soon as i hooked the X-Meridian i go, ok ok, very nice, in fact it does better at hiding imperfections in poorer quality recordings but the sound stage was missing. Then of course i hit myself hard on the forehead and grabbed the 30lb 3-way bookshelves and made them fire straight at the the listening position, almost perfect equilateral triangle with my head. Tweeters very close the ear level. Ah hah, now staging is good, instruments more localized, good Dolby effect, vocal solo forms up in the middle.

Back to the Xonar ST, a whole another level. Poorer stations, or even lesser MP3s on 320 kbps stations sound compressed, while decently encoded xxxx makes you want to cry, Smetana's Vltava on Avro Klassiek happened to be playing, i imagined the fields of wheat in front of my eyes, i am a believer again.

So the morale for the headphone refusniks like me is REMEMBER TOE-IN! I believe in Sennheiser though, and had AKG headset for comms when i used to belong in an IL-2 Sturmovik virtual squadron piloting an Me-106E in my BC (before children) days. Grados for Woody the woodpecker
smily_headphones1.gif

I am happy though that i have a spare X-Meridian, i will tinker with it following the path laid out by the elders on head-fi.

Xonar ST will stay with me for a long time. What's with Stereophile claiming that STX is better, was it by specs only?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back