Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
optical was wanting to know differences between ST & STX

My bad I dont know why i quoted you
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #980 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you would be upgrading on the STX is the XO.
It has 3 connections IIRC...

The 10 pins footprint for CS2000 chip on STX circuit board is there(check U36 position) but ASUS leave it blank. I just feel strange why ASUS did this. Maybe ASUS has technical reason not doing this?? Or they just want to save couple(<10) US$ on part cost? This kind of practice seems to be not too good for a product positioned for audiophile.

If ASUS solder CS2000 chips and its related several Caps/Resistors on STX circuit board which have the footprints already, then the only audio performance related Hardware difference between STX and ST is the PCI-E to PCI Bridge Chip PEX 8112 on STX board.

As the ST hit the market after STX, just feel STX design might be little bit premature unless ASUS has technical reason which blocks using CS2000 on STX.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #981 of 1,781
I think -as you suggest- the reason they left it out was because it came out long before the ST.
Future revisions will prolly have it or something similar.

Also I totally forgot until you reminded me....

STX isn't native PCIe, it relies on a PCIe bridge...
ST doesn't need a bridge because it's straight PCI-out.
Hopefully the core circuitry will be modified so that PCIe native is used in the future.

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #982 of 1,781
they're dependent on C-Media for the DSP and windows drivers...some say that Asus bought C-Media, but it'd only appear to be hearsay. If they ever release a PCI-E CMI8788, maybe you'll see native soundcards w/o a bridge.

The PEX8112 brige is also said to increase the latency over ASIO...and why not jitter too?
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #983 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by applegd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 10 pins footprint for CS2000 chip on STX circuit board is there(check U36 position) but ASUS leave it blank. I just feel strange why ASUS did this. Maybe ASUS has technical reason not doing this?? Or they just want to save couple(<10) US$ on part cost? This kind of practice seems to be not too good for a product positioned for audiophile.

If ASUS solder CS2000 chips and its related several Caps/Resistors on STX circuit board which have the footprints already, then the only audio performance related Hardware difference between STX and ST is the PCI-E to PCI Bridge Chip PEX 8112 on STX board.

As the ST hit the market after STX, just feel STX design might be little bit premature unless ASUS has technical reason which blocks using CS2000 on STX.

We are refering to two different components. I said the XO, which is the main clock generator. The CS2000 chip is a clock clean up chip and not the same thing at all. According to the postings around here, they are both great cards.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #984 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think -as you suggest- the reason they left it out was because it came out long before the ST.
Future revisions will prolly have it or something similar.

Also I totally forgot until you reminded me....

STX isn't native PCIe, it relies on a PCIe bridge...
ST doesn't need a bridge because it's straight PCI-out.
Hopefully the core circuitry will be modified so that PCIe native is used in the future.

The 8788 chips are native PCI, they were fitted on many cards a few years ago such as the X-Meridian 7.1, Claro, Sondigo Inferno, Razor AC-1...etc
The mad 8788 rush, which seen most of these cards using generic stock drivers. There were a few that used drivers which were "skinned" such as the Razor card but the base drivers were still C-Media.
The drivers were bascially interchangable from card to card.
The recently released Claro Halo is still running one of these 8788 chips (from existing old stock)
Many of the orginally 8788 cards were quite good though...

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #987 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are refering to two different components. I said the XO, which is the main clock generator. The CS2000 chip is a clock clean up chip and not the same thing at all. According to the postings around here, they are both great cards.

Nothing personal.
smily_headphones1.gif
no matter "XO which is the main clock generator" or "The CS2000 chip which is a clock clean up chip", generally I call it "timing/clocking circuit".

To be precise, (1) if someone like to use the newer PCI-e interface/slot, he/she have to order STX and take the subpar clocking circuit as compromise. (2) if he/she is focusing on audio performance, he/she will order ST and take the older PCI interface/slot as compromise. (3) No matter which option you go, you have to take compromise. This looks pain in ass position.

We will have hope once the chip at current AV100 position is PCI-e native.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #988 of 1,781
I wouldn't say the STX has a "subpar" timing circuit. Just the ST has extra circuitry to make the master clock more precise.
Maybe the next chip revision will be natice PCI-E as you said.

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #989 of 1,781
Well it looks like I can find the STX for $160 shipped.

But this ST, which apparently has some improvements, is no less than $210 anywhere.

Anyone know if the extra $50 is worth it? I have no reason to get the H6, by the way.

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #990 of 1,781
Yes definately worth the extra for the ST. I have the st and stx both upgraded with 3 x lme49720nz opamps. The ST is in a totally different league to the stx. The stx is soundly trounced by the musiland 02us usb dac where the ST is probably actually a bit better.

macrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back