Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Nov 21, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #916 of 1,781
man, I just bought an STX after asking my store when they were getting the ST in as they had it listed, but not in stock. they had no firm ETA. so i bought the STX thinking it was a ways off, and thinking I can still use a digital signal for surround. The same day my STX shipped is when the ST arrives in stock.
frown.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #917 of 1,781
LOL we're the opposite here in Oz...
I've seen the expansion board listed, but the actual PCI card is still not listed with any of the well known local r/etailers.

But the distributor for Oz supposedly only got it yesterday...
So maybe none of the retailers are bothering to list it until they actually have a few in stock!?

I'm nearing axe rampage stage....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by phusg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it's been available here for a few months now I think, but the price of €169 is far from competitive and there's no sign of the H6 expansion board yet, which I'm waiting on. It's still cheaper to import it from Germany at the moment.

In the mean time I've more or less solved the problem I was having with Trance music being too harsh. I swapped my detailed Pioneer A300R Precision amplifier out for a smoother Marantz PM17KI and after that my Auzentech X-Mystique out for an Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 with Audio GD Earth opamp. All this through Mission 753 speakers, which have metal tweeters which makes them more prone to harshness than silk dome types. Now finally I'm happy with the way my reference trance CD Ra's 9th sounds and don't need to fiddle with the EQ at all any more. Hope you get there too!

Nov 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #918 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it how clear the STX can be but [..] it's just too loud, sharp and agressive.

well, the most gifted amongst us find it perfectly fine(when it's free, it's hard to complain ^^), but some other ppl also happen to find it too forward and agressive(especially when they paid for it from their own pocket
evil_smiley.gif
)...again there's no "one size fits all" in audio gear: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6173703-post25.html
Quote:

I've tried the Asus STX and ST but neither are as sweet straight out of the box as the Onkyo, and even modified they still sound a little aggressive to me.

even w/ 3 OPA-Earth, they're not laid back...it's like a wild horse you'd try to domesticate
quent.gif

..hehe, I guess Asus will ground me for having just said that
couillu%20le%20caribou.gif

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #919 of 1,781
Wow changing your opinion again?
If anybody wants to know what you think of these cards all they have to do is read this or the STX thread. Now that you have switched to another card, saying the STX or ST is bad is just in bad taste wouldn't you say?
Especially when you have written pages of posts such as:
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow I've just put the LM4562, I'm stunned
eek.gif

major improvement over the stock 2114, wider soundstage, no saturation audible whatsoever, very very very clean and chirurgical sound
smily_headphones1.gif

if the ST is even better, I'll be ordering it ASAP
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

but w/ some LME49720HA + some lossless remastered audio in KS, the SQ on the STX is simply out of this world
fumble.gif

Quote:

if you're looking for a crazily analytical sound, most definitely.
the SQ is so good that many recordings that sounded fine on the STX just lack now on the ST...it's put the bar one notch further
biggrin.gif

Quote:

oh yes! the SQ is less "congested", the audio is well...I've never heard anything sounding this good tbh.

Quote:

ask more ST owners for impressions against the STX, so you'll have more feedback than just mine...but they're prolly too busy having eargasms to bother coming here
beyersmile.png

Quote:

the 4562 is a very good starting point to unleash the Essence power....if you feel need be
redface.gif

...and the list goes on and on and on.....
So I guess we know your opinion of these cards!
Why not quite the trolling for a day?

Nov 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #920 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I mainly listen to Trance and with the STX this was just too loud and indeed an agressive upper spectrum (sharp). If I listen Trance with the X-Fi I could fall in sleep with it while STX keeps me awake with it's load sound and sharp edges in the upper spectrum. So I could better stay with the X-Fi and leave alone the ST?

Sound is very subjective and not everybody will like the same source.
If your sure the card was operating properly and you still didn't like what you heard best thing to do is return it and get something else.
The card is either not a good mix with your headphones/speakers or just not enjoyable based on your ears and music you like.

Good luck on your gear hunt.

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #921 of 1,781
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for quite some time, the other day I bit the bullet and ordered the ST for my HTPC, I use this machine for movies, TV, but also have been wanting to make it a viable source for 2 channel music (I've been looking at CD players and DACs for over 1 year now) I've listened to A LOT of CD players, some good some crap. So I've run the ST now for about 5 good listening sessions with my reference material and can say it defiantly works as a great source, however I've noticed it to fatigue my ears which I'm putting down to the "bright/Harsh" top end that by readying this thread I expected, I've now looking at upgrading the opamps to the Burson discrete but am wondering if this would "smooth" the top end enough to remove the harsh topend?

Just a note my system is the following:
Essense ST (QED silver spiral)-> Denon AVR2807(preamp)->(Qed silver spiral)Denon POA2800->(Audio Quest cable)Energy Veritas v1.8

Basically for the price this is one hell of a source and i'm sure with tweaking I'll be able to remove the harshness but just need some guidance (opamps are quite new to me)

Thanks,

Synth

Nov 21, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #922 of 1,781
Looked around and found amazon has STX but not the ST, I will buy STX...

Just feel funny to see ASUS wants to save cents by using such cheap DIP8 socket...I will change them but I am afraid of warranty repair problem.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #925 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by synth123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for quite some time, the other day I bit the bullet and ordered the ST for my HTPC, I use this machine for movies, TV, but also have been wanting to make it a viable source for 2 channel music (I've been looking at CD players and DACs for over 1 year now) I've listened to A LOT of CD players, some good some crap. So I've run the ST now for about 5 good listening sessions with my reference material and can say it defiantly works as a great source, however I've noticed it to fatigue my ears which I'm putting down to the "bright/Harsh" top end that by readying this thread I expected, I've now looking at upgrading the opamps to the Burson discrete but am wondering if this would "smooth" the top end enough to remove the harsh topend?

Just a note my system is the following:
Essense ST (QED silver spiral)-> Denon AVR2807(preamp)->(Qed silver spiral)Denon POA2800->(Audio Quest cable)Energy Veritas v1.8

Basically for the price this is one hell of a source and i'm sure with tweaking I'll be able to remove the harshness but just need some guidance (opamps are quite new to me)

Thanks,

Synth

Opamps will definately add some options for you in regards to sound signature. I wouldn't jump right into discretes though as some like them and some do not. Some can be very pricey and might not give you what you want.
I would try working with some chip opamps first to try and tune the signature more to what you want. The ST is very clear and detailed and can sound bright in some rigs. If you want to tune that aspect down a bit, try out some different I/V opamps. Alternatley you can try a warmer buffer opamp to roll off a bit of the high range.

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #926 of 1,781
Thanks Robscix, your right the discretes are quite expensive and i'm keen to try IC based solutions, your also right the ST resolves a great amount of detail, I part of the issue I have is the Power amp i use is quite forward with its presentation so it excuse the pun....amplifies the "bright" aspect of the ST's presentation aswell, I have a Nakamichi PA-5 here which has a much "deeper" presentation but its damaged I'll need to get that sorted before hearing that.

Do have any recommendations on the opamps I could use to roll-off the harshness but not damage the soundstage + detail...

Thanks,
Synth

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #927 of 1,781
Sometimes the presentation just takes geting used to. In other cases it is just not a good mix with the gear you have. There are a few opamps you can try that can warm up the signature a bit.
For the buffer you could try
OPA2134
OPA2132
OPA2227
LT1057

There are many,many others but I am trying to think of opamps that will just be drop in replacments. Meaning you will not have to solder them onto adapters or anything like that. There are some others that will offer up suggestions as many guys on this forums roll opamps on this and the STX soundcards. There is also a Opamp thread that I started in the DIY section so people can compare notes on opamps. Most of the opamps I have been testing for the last 6 month all require soldering and adapters. I will warn you though, opamps get to be a hobby all by themselves.....

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #928 of 1,781
Quote:

if you're looking for a crazily analytical sound, most definitely.

Quote:

even w/ 3 OPA-Earth, they're not laid back...it's like a wild horse you'd try to domesticate

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow changing your opinion again?
Now that you have switched to another card, saying the STX or ST is bad is just in bad taste wouldn't you say?

As I read it I'm not sure leeperry is trolling and I don't see major contradictions between what he's been saying. I certainly haven't heard him say the ST is a bad card. From his and other posts I gather it's a incredibly detailed high-fidelity card that for some ears and in some systems can be too much and can cause harshness and therefore be fatiguing. But then with ~3000 posts each you two probably have a bit of history and I shouldn't be getting involved!

What I would like to hear from leeperry is why you changed (back?) to a Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 after being so enthousiastic about the ST. Was it too tiring in the long run? Also could you comment on the differences between the sound signature of the HD2 and the ST (both with Audio GD Earth as final output buffer opamp)?

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #929 of 1,781
From another thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoy the LME49710HA and a few here are using them also for various circuits.
I have both 627 and 637SM versions. I enjoy there sound but have been going for a different type of response these days. Something a little closer to the LME49710HA.

ROBSCIX, this is an intriguing post. Could you elaborate on the difference between the 627SM, 637SM and LME49710HA on the Essence ST? Considering it's quite forward of itself maybe the 627SM is generally a better match than the 637SM?

Thankfully these three can all be bought off-the-shelf from Auzentech. Do these Auzentech built units fit under the shielding of the Essence cards?

Considering the price maybe I should just order a pair of LME49710HA and compare with the Audio GD Earth...

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #930 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by phusg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I read it I'm not sure leeperry is trolling and I don't see major contradictions between what he's been saying. I certainly haven't heard him say the ST is a bad card. From his and other posts I gather it's a incredibly detailed high-fidelity card that for some ears and in some systems can be too much and can cause harshness and therefore be fatiguing. But then with ~3000 posts each you two probably have a bit of history and I shouldn't be getting involved!

What I would like to hear from leeperry is why you changed (back?) to a Audiotrak Prodigy HD2 after being so enthousiastic about the ST. Was it too tiring in the long run? Also could you comment on the differences between the sound signature of the HD2 and the ST (both with Audio GD Earth as final output buffer opamp)?

yeah, please don't quote the OP...he's been on my ignore list since forever ^^

well, I did hear 3 HDAM on the ST, hummm'kay(afterwards we plugged the ground wires together as required): http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6164487-post1026.html

compared to the HD2(w/ any number of discrete op-amps, or even both cards stock), the ST is very forward/loud w/ very sparkling/agressive trebles...the HD2 is very soft and laid back in comparison.

even thoppa gave the same feedback as you can see from the link I posted 3 posts above, and so did Alexander01...all trolls I'm sure.

Actually, the ST/STX are so agressive that they caused me major ear pain after a while..and the jitter improvement chip is a joke, instead of putting a very accurate clock, they added some chip to clean up a dirty clock(a discrete 22Mhz clock like on the Envy24 based cards is a far better idea for low 44.1kHz jitter)...just like when they decided to put the cheapest DIP8 sockets you could possibly find(that give very poor actual contact compared to machined sockets).

the brain is not meant to listen to AGRESSIVE trebles on a permanent basis, but this thread is mostly aimed at boosting Asus sales(w/ pointless blind web reviews "OMG IT ROX") and call any detractors "trolls"(coming from the goblins king I have to say that I'm flattered
biggrin.gif
), and Asus reads it on a daily basis to tell Robbie how much of a good boy he is(reminds me of that EPMD album "Strictly Business")
darthsmile.gif

and the drivers are just terrible(resampling all over the place, unlike VIA's envy24 drivers that forbid SRC and output true 1:1 bitperfect at all times)...these cards are as much audiophile as when motherboard manufacturers decided to add tubes to their AC97 onboard audio chips: AOpen AX4B 533 Tube Motherboard Review - Page 1 - Introduction

DSCF0008_640.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back