Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Sep 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #706 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by phusg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally with you on that one. What I'm hoping is the logical explanation for the delay is that Asus is designing/producing an 'audiophile' second version of the H6 daughtercard with

a) a better quality/EMI shielded connection
b) an EMI shield for the opamps just like on the ST mothercard (with 3 little lion/sphinx thingies printed on it while they're at it!)

As far as I can see such a bundle would be the business for 6 channel HD sound (with 5.1 LPCM soundtracks) and would make it a competitor to the newer AV recievers supporting the new HD codecs like DTS-MA etc. At least that's how my wallet sees it.

A) I am guessing your tlaking baout the cable between the ST and the H6 card. It actually seem high quality. I am unsure if it is sheilded or not but I have never heard any type of interference over the card.
B) I think the sheilding for the H6 card would also be a great idea.

One cool thing to note about the H6 is you can use seperate opamps for the center and sub. Usually on cards where you can change the opamps they would share a single opamp.
Here have a look:
H6-1.jpg

Modding out those caps with some higher quality Black gates or OS-CONs might also be a great idea!

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #707 of 1,781
Is it hard to replace the caps? I recently bought a low power soldering iron to solder a fan onto my router and that's all the experience I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, for the Z-5500's you can use the digital output using the DDL encoder until you get the H6 DAC board or a set of good cans. Oh, I thought you were really using a SB Live...

I completely forgot about that! Another thought was to use two sound cards. Is it possible to switch between two cards with different drivers without restarting/reinstalling/etc.?

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #708 of 1,781
No to hard to replace caps. The H6 board has very high quality output measuring about 120dB SNR and dynamic range. I was just mentioning it for the modders.

Yes you can install multiple cards in a Windows based system and set windows to default to one -this would be for your games etc. You can further set your multimedia programs to use another one through their ouput drivers. I have used multiple soundcards for years. Aslong as there is no type of internal conflict of the drivers or resources your good.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:16 PM Post #709 of 1,781
Oh wow that's cool. I can easily test between the ST & X-Fi Xtrememusic then but what do you mean by internal conflict of the drivers or resources? I'll probably only want the X-Fi for games if it is indeed better.

Sep 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #710 of 1,781
If the cards are using the same resources. It usually never happens.

There is another program that I helped devlop called velbac. Technically, it would link your two cards internally. If you were playing a game the X-fi would process it and send the audio internally to the second card. It has been awhile since I used that application but it worked perfectly in XP and Vista. It allows you to use one card for DSP (creative chip based) and a second card for output. You get all the features of both cards.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #713 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I swapped in the 2 LT1057 for I/V so i got:

2xLT1057 I/V + OPA2134 Buffer
Headphones: Quite similar to the 2107 actually... though some slight differences: 2107 has a wider soundstage sounds a bit more airy. Highs with LT1057 are more in the background than with the 2107. I don't mean the highs are less or something, they just position a bit more backward soundstage wise. Perhaps a little mit more refinement in highs with the 2107. Mids are stronger on the LT1057. Upper Bass is stronger, too. Deep Bass is a bit weaker, though better controlled. I can't help but with the LT1057 there's also some echo/reverb or however it is called in english. Some Dream Theater Tracks i listened to (6:00, Caught In A Web) sound as if they are presented in a Jazz-Cellar :wink: hard to describe, but the soundstage really differs from the 2107
Stereo Speakers: Not tested yet, i will stay with headphones anyway, till i get some new speakers.

Summing it up, there are some similarities with the 2107 (in terms of frequency response) but the presentation is different. I really can't tell which one is "better" both are nice. I think it depends on your type of music. The slight reverb i can hear is a bit misleading on some quiet tracks. But then the Music is much more "in your face" at higher volumes. The LT1057 are often suggested for Electronic Music and i would sign that statement.

Bye
cross

After reading this, I think I'd still prefer the LT1057 as I feel what you described (bolded) is more accurate to the production of music 'depth of soundstage', reverb etc.

Anyway ROBSCIX and others who've pre-tested this, what are the differences between the STX an ST using the same opamps?

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #714 of 1,781
Essence ST Distribution Update!

Hey guys, I used my review contacts to get some official information from ASUS on the Essence ST.
These cards will be coming to the USA, very soon. I do not have an exact date but most likely mid October. This is not a maybe, this is a for sure.
I hope that helps for you guys that are waiting and wondering if it is coming to America.
I will see if I can get further details and possible dates for those in other locations. I will also see if I can get further information on the H6 DAC expansion board release.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #715 of 1,781
Very nice. Thanks for the info!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #720 of 1,781
Thanks Rob, don't forget us others guys "down-under" in Australasia!
Need to know availability of the ST "AND" it's 6.1 expansion card.

Was speaking to one of the main ALSA devs and he seems think the expansion card has been canned.
I don't think he's received official word on that, tis just his assertion. Which he hasn't gone into detail about yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Essence ST Distribution Update!

Hey guys, I used my review contacts to get some official information from ASUS on the Essence ST.
These cards will be coming to the USA, very soon. I do not have an exact date but most likely mid October. This is not a maybe, this is a for sure.
I hope that helps for you guys that are waiting and wondering if it is coming to America.
I will see if I can get further details and possible dates for those in other locations. I will also see if I can get further information on the H6 DAC expansion board release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back