Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
May 19, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #46 of 1,781
The most noticeable feature of this card, even for 2.0 channel use is the new clock circuit.

Waiting for ETA. This card can compare with pretty expensive DACs...

May 19, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #48 of 1,781
Hi!

Im using an STX now and I dont really know what jitter means.

I would like to know if this thing will improve or affect anything when I play music from my HDD or it only matters when I play music from a CD drive?

So will this change anything if I play music only from my HDD and if yes what will be better?

May 27, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #49 of 1,781
Some updates for those interested:

As to the end price, each area will set their price based on the MSRP. The card will be priced not much higher then the STX.

The ST is being sent to official reviewers around the world. The cards are currently shipping to Europe and US.

The first releases will not be avilable with the H6 DAC boards. The H6 boards will be available to upgrade the ST around Q3.

May 29, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #50 of 1,781
I'm sure they won't release it before computex. That's between 2-6 next month...

As for reviewers...are you one of them?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #51 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by csoller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

Im using an STX now and I dont really know what jitter means.

I would like to know if this thing will improve or affect anything when I play music from my HDD or it only matters when I play music from a CD drive?

So will this change anything if I play music only from my HDD and if yes what will be better?

I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the jitter reduction will only apply to the signal sent out over the optical out.

May 29, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #52 of 1,781
I know when Computex is and it has nothign to do with the release as the cards are said to be shipping now to shops in EU and US.

I don't think this card will be a major demo piece for ASUS at Computex as they already unvieled this card at Cebit earlier this year.

Yes, I do reviews from time to time.

May 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #53 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that the jitter reduction will only apply to the signal sent out over the optical out.

Not so, the clocking chip improves the clocking signal and reduces jitter across the board.

May 29, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #55 of 1,781
Almost every chip on the board will require a clocking signal to keep audio signals processing like sound samples being converted etc.. if this clocking signal is dirty or has a great deal of jitter it can affect sound quality.
As to what degree jitter can affect your audio is a subject of much debate and one I prefer not to join.

A simple clocking signal is a steady digital pulse at timed intervals. Jitter is a variation in the time these pulses start and stop. -That is the easiest definition I can think of.

Hope that helps.

May 29, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #56 of 1,781
Thanks for the indepth reply. The only time I saw jitter being mentioned is in regards to digital signal and who has less of it (coax or toslink) so I figured it only affected the transport section of the card, not its internals.. but since its decoded from a hard drive, it makes sense that timing would be involved internally as well

May 30, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #58 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know when Computex is and it has nothign to do with the release as the cards are said to be shipping now to shops in EU and US.

I don't think this card will be a major demo piece for ASUS at Computex as they already unvieled this card at Cebit earlier this year.

Yes, I do reviews from time to time.

biggrin.gif
i can't wait to get my hands on one of these, shouldn't be long now

May 30, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #59 of 1,781
I have been reading this thread and the STX thread casually for months, I have an STX, and I am very happy with it. Having said that, I must say that at times ASUS is an absolutely outstanding company with great innovations especially with their new commanding role in sound cards. They have done some really great things to further the emphasis of sound quality. Unfortunately, sometimes I really have no idea what goes through the minds of the engineers and marketing people. Why in the world would they release the ST (supposedly a superior card with the new clocking circuit) on an obviously dying slot technology (PCI) right after releasing the STX (was supposed to be their flagship stereo card) on the future slot technology (PCI Express)? All new cards are trending toward PCI Express, why the step back? That's like Lynx or RME releasing a new flagship card compatible with ISA slots back when PCI was king. In addition to this the ST is expandable to 7.1, whereas the STX is not. ASUS, what in the hell were you thinking?

May 30, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #60 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been reading this thread and the STX thread casually for months, I have an STX, and I am very happy with it. Having said that, I must say that at times ASUS is an absolutely outstanding company with great innovations especially with their new commanding role in sound cards. They have done some really great things to further the emphasis of sound quality. Unfortunately, sometimes I really have no idea what goes through the minds of the engineers and marketing people. Why in the world would they release the ST (supposedly a superior card with the new clocking circuit) on an obviously dying slot technology (PCI) right after releasing the STX (was supposed to be their flagship stereo card) on the future slot technology (PCI Express)? All new cards are trending toward PCI Express, why the step back? That's like Lynx or RME releasing a new flagship card compatible with ISA slots back when PCI was king. In addition to this the ST is expandable to 7.1, whereas the STX is not. ASUS, what in the hell were you thinking?

Well, i'm in a situation where i only have 1 spare pci-e slot and i can't put a STX or any other pci-e card because the sound card will cross over my ram slots because sound cards are quite long. The pci slot on my mobo is in a position where length of the sound card does not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back