Xonar Essence ST Sneak Peek
Sep 12, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #631 of 1,781
I started considering an external DAC instead, how would this compare to a $150-250 DAC? Like the Zero? I'm only uncertain because I still want better sound quality with speakers, unless the DAC has something for speakers?

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #632 of 1,781
I think stx/st will match/beat most dacs in it's price range. with perhahps a few exceptions. It's been compared favorably to the zero.

Sep 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #634 of 1,781
hmm wonder if it would be safe to asume the emu 0404 has the better spdif output then? it's pretty frusterating lol, im trying to find the soundcard with best spdif output. No reviews anywhere ever bother comparing or even mentioning the specs of cards for digitial out, I can't find any information on XO crystal specs, transformer coupling, etc. It does kind of matter too if your an audiophile with a DAC and using a PC as a transport only. And while there's no doubt that overall the asus is the better soundcard, none of that matters if it's digital out is less than emu 0404. You also get people saying use a usb converter like musiland, well, I consider most usb converters a comprimise solution, somthing you use because you have to, because your using a laptop. I can't afford an off ramp or pace car so those are out of the question. Now the musiland 01 is inferior to the 02, which is in turn inferior to the STX (as compared by 1 person thus far in the musiland thread), and the STX very well may be inferior to the EMU 0404. Why does it have to be so complicated. The musland 02 is 150 bux btw, for slightly more I could get an STX, or a emu 0404 for even less (90$ shipped BNIB) Then there are the people who say digital out is digital out and it does not matter, that's not entirely true though, for example I have 3 digital outs at my disposal, my motherboard realtek chipset, the x-fi, and a oppo 980H, there's differences between all 3 of them, the motherboard being clearly worst, then the x-fi is alot better, then the oppo 980h is slightly better then x-fi. And you can hear the differnce between each one. Then you got the folks that say well a good dac has reclockers and a poor quality spdif does not matter, but how am I supposed to know what dac's I will own in the future and if those dac's have quality reclocking or not, there are some good dac's out there that don't have high end reclocking specs, like many NOS dacs, or somthing like Channel Island VDA-2, I think it just uses a cs 8416 reciever with little reclocking of the spdif signal. In these cases a lower jitter interface would make a difference, and you'll always be wondering in the back of your mind if your limiting your dac's poteintual with a crappy spdif interface. It's getting easier to understand why many people still give up on computer audio and get a high end, or even mid-fi cd transport.

edit: oh and the thought also crossed my mind that perhaps the STX is a better dac then im using anyways. So it's possible that is' analog output is > what im using as an outboard dac, just to add more fun to the equation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, no it does not.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #635 of 1,781
The actual DAC chip used in the STX and ST is one of the best you can find anywhere for specifications and measurments. There is more to an external DAC then just the chip but I figured I would mention it considering your last edit.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #636 of 1,781
I have read musiland 01 USD's digital out sound better than 0404 USB which in turn better than 0404 PCI. So think you have to treat all these web comments with a grain of salt and best try borrow and compare with friends who own some of these parts.

I have RME 9632, airport express, realtek onboard as well as musiland monitor 01 USB.

My own rank, 01 USB and RME both sound better than apple and onboard. Can't compare 01 USB and RME as I had sold the RME and extracted cash out of it for other stuffs. Am presently happy with the 01 USB.

May get an ST later if I need its ADC capabilities.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #637 of 1,781
I have read musiland 01 USD's digital out sound better than 0404 USB which in turn better than 0404 PCI. So think you have to treat all these web comments with a grain of salt and best try borrow and compare with friends who own some of these parts.

I have RME 9632, airport express, realtek onboard as well as musiland monitor 01 USB.

My own rank, 01 USB and RME both sound better than apple and onboard. Can't compare 01 USB and RME as I had sold the RME and extracted cash out of it for other stuffs. Am presently happy with the 01 USB.

And none of these sound better than my Accuphase CD player's digital output.

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #638 of 1,781
..so I guess he should take your opinion with a grain of salt also right?
I didn't really give him any opinions just stated facts.

I salso sugegst doing a comparison yourself as your ears can make the final call.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #639 of 1,781
Where did you get the impression the 0404 USB has better spdif output then the PCI version? I know the usb is rated at 500 PS jitter(which makes sense, we are going thru the USB bus after all), and the PCI is rated at 100, I don't know for sure that the usb is even transformer coupled. Please show some reviews/comparisons that show the USB 0404 being superior to the PCI version, because this is the first i've heard of it. Now if we are talking analog output that's a whole different game.

Edit: just to be sure, I checked the Product pages for the EMU 0404 USB and PCI version, sure enough, straight from EMU's website, the USB Version is rated at 500 PS, and is not transformer coupled. The PCI is rated at 100PS or less, and is transformer coupled. There's no way in hell the usb 0404's Digital output can match the pci version.

In the mean, time i've purchased a upgraded version of my dac, that has a built in re-clocker, im going to wait until i get it, to see how it handles jitter. If i can plug it into motherboard spdif and x-fi and hear no difference, well that means the reclocker is doing it's thing, and I can probably hold off on a transport upgrade for awhile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninekit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #640 of 1,781
Sure thing, what I want to point out is you can really find all sorts of personal subjective opinion on the web which go round and round the circle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..so I guess he should take your opinion with a grain of salt also right?
I didn't really give him any opinions just stated facts.

I salso sugegst doing a comparison yourself as your ears can make the final call.

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #641 of 1,781
So is there any news about a 6.1 card being available for this yet?
I don't understand why they don't sell bundled and non-bundled versions!

Also is availability still really limited worldwide, or is it fairly commonplace in Europe & parts of Asia now?

I read earlier in this thread that the opamp sockets were sub-par
i.e. pressed not machine created, or something to that effect..

Is this the same for the STX and the HDAV1.3?

Dunka

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #642 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninekit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure thing, what I want to point out is you can really find all sorts of personal subjective opinion on the web which go round and round the circle.

Yes, your right about that.
normal_smile .gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #643 of 1,781
I've got some machined op-amps sockets here(like they put on the Audiotrak/Auzen cards)...all I can say if that the contacts are far better, and it's far easier to manipulate when you have the right tool.

Asus is dead silent about the hypothetical expansion board indeed..

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #644 of 1,781
Quote:

Originally Posted by jalyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is there any news about a 6.1 card being available for this yet?
I don't understand why they don't sell bundled and non-bundled versions!

Also is availability still really limited worldwide, or is it fairly commonplace in Europe & parts of Asia now?

I read earlier in this thread that the opamp sockets were sub-par
i.e. pressed not machine created, or something to that effect..

Is this the same for the STX and the HDAV1.3?

Dunka

Actually it is a 5.1 expansion card for htose that want to add this support to the ST. Some already have this support as they are using the card found with the HDAV 1.3 Deluxe.
At this point in time, I think they will only be selling the H6 card as a sepearate upgrade. However, they may offer a bundled verdion down the road. Sort of a Xonar Essence ST Deluxe 7.1.

There are a few members with a ST Deluxe 7.1. That just got the H6 card from a HDAV 1.3 bundle.
The opamp sockets on the card are pressed made. Commonly found on soundcards. Milled sockets are much better but also much more expensive when building a product such as this. I would prefer the milled sockets also but I wouldn't call them subpar. Just generic sockets...Nothing high end.
You can tell the difference as pressed made sockets have rectangular "slot" type of pin "holes" and machined have round pin holes.
I have a bunch of milled sockets I bought for use on the ST deluxe, nice gold plated machined sockets. Just have to get some time to change them out.

Based on reports from other members, the card is still hard to find compared to other products BUT you can find it if you really want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back