XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 14, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #2,971 of 3,865
Yes, I recived my SU-1. It is connected to my PS Audio DirectStream Dac vi I2S, Best sound yet from my system. I also have the StarTech 4 Port USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit (and it's ISO + external LPS).

Forget about REDnet, it can't do I2S. It's history. SU-1 is the future. 
wink_face.gif

It got 1640 points on rb2013's audio quality scale. 
redface.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #2,972 of 3,865
  OK hooked up the OCX today - after giving the 'oven' a half hour to fully heat and stabilize (the little blue 'good to go' light actually came on in like 5 minutes) - I sat down to do a fairly extensive listening A/B versus the internal clock.

The result?  Outstanding!  The SQ improved in every way!  Most immediately noticeable even deeper bass then with the internal clock.  Another leap in detail retrieval - now the detail before put my Uber USB chain to shame (and it was stellar) - this is even more surprising.  It does take a little getting used to - the ear/mind starts to 'trip out'.  I mean a semi-hypnotic trace state within minutes of listening, the FLOW factor just carries you away.  It takes conscious effort to remain in audiophile critic mode, trying to assess objectively the SQ changes.

Thank god this level of audio is NOT in my car!

I think after a few weeks of listening this will lose it's immediate effect.

That was with the Antelope.  And now I am really curious as to what a well made Rubidium clock would do.

The second little tweek to arrive today was a Synergistic Research Galileo MPC.  This unit energizes the SR Element Digital cable shielding (and has two leads so the second went on a SR Ref X2 Power cable that I have feeding my amp).  Another profound SQ improvement, not as dramatic as the OCX, but definitely welcome.  More bass as well - my Maggie 1.6QR are now producing chest vibrating levels of perfectly tuned bass.  Listened to David Gray 'Please Forgive Me' - with huge bass drops that were stunning.  Not since I had my Talon Firebirds have I heard bass like this from my system.  What's cool is you can A/B live by plugging in the std MPC and the Galileo - and you can hear the SQ change immediately. It's the darndest thing - how this could have such an effect.

I immediately noticed greater image depth and inner lit quality.

It'll take some time to sort out the details on the SQ changes - I'll let the system play 24/7 for a week before doing any further posting.  I would say both of these are keepers for sure.

Also I'm using a BJC coax digtial cable to connect the OCX to the RN3.  I have this much better Oyaide Silver BNC digital cable coming from Japan to try.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152131833873?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I guess to sum it up -
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear that the Antelope OCX brought another leap in SQ on your set-up Rob!
I surely would like to hear your results later on if you do decide to add a Rubidium clock.

Lately, I was also thinking of adding an external Master clock in the form of the Grimm Audio CC1 but it is almost like $3K so I might have to wait a while before I do pull the trigger.
Man, this hobby is getting ridiculously expensive! lol
But SQ wise, it is very gratifying.

Cheers!

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #2,973 of 3,865
So I received the Dixio Pro 3Z today. I have not been able to get it to work.

I’ve used two different Apple computers with Yosemite (10.10.3) and El Capitan (10.11.4) respectively, with several different USB ports. Used with and without Uptone Audio Regen in between the computers and Dixio. Used three different USB cables. Used Coaxial and Optical outputs on Dixio. Used with USB power and the included Battery Pack. Hooked it up before and after turning computers on. Restarted computers several times.

In no cases has Dixio appeared in Sound (under System Preferences) or Audio Midi Setup (under Utilities) or in a USB tree (under System Report): nor has it passed through any sound to my EE DAC Plus. My AQ Dragonfly Red shows up everywhere and works immediately when plugged into either computer with or without the Regen.

Interestingly, the signal light on my EE DAC Plus has shown up only when using USB power to the Dixio, not when using the accompanying battery pack. But no sound.

I've sent an email to DIYinHK. Anyone with any ideas?

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,974 of 3,865
  Yes, I recived my SU-1. It is connected to my PS Audio DirectStream Dac vi I2S, Best sound yet from my system. I also have the StarTech 4 Port USB 2.0 Extender over Gigabit (and it's ISO + external LPS).

Forget about REDnet, it can't do I2S. It's history. SU-1 is the future. 
wink_face.gif

It got 1640 points on rb2013's audio quality scale. 
redface.gif

Well that is great to here - Singxer makes some great stuff.

Now thinking about just going to a Cesium clock for the big Red box - they only start at $35k

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #2,975 of 3,865

Glad to hear that the Antelope OCX brought another leap in SQ on your set-up Rob!
I surely would like to hear your results later on if you do decide to add a Rubidium clock.

Lately, I was also thinking of adding an external Master clock in the form of the Grimm Audio CC1 but it is almost like $3K so I might have to wait a while before I do pull the trigger.
Man, this hobby is getting ridiculously expensive! lol
But SQ wise, it is very gratifying.

Cheers!

The Gimm is very good - so is the newest version of the OCX - the OCX HD with Antelope's 4th Gen anti-jitter technology.  But they are like $1500.

I pd less the $700 for an almost new OCX - so it was worth it.  But you are right not cheap - but for 'by the hour entertainment' - not so bad.

Thinking of trying a OCX 10Mhz clock on the Mutec.
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Disciplined-Oscillator-Clock-GPSDO-10M-Output-Sinusoidal-Wave/251802969291?_trk

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #2,976 of 3,865
The Gimm is very good - so is the newest version of the OCX - the OCX HD with Antelope's 4th Gen anti-jitter technology.  But they are like $1500.

I pd less the $700 for an almost new OCX - so it was worth it.  But you are right not cheap - but for 'by the hour entertainment' - not so bad.

Thinking of trying a OCX 10Mhz clock on the Mutec.
Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Disciplined-Oscillator-Clock-GPSDO-10M-Output-Sinusoidal-Wave/251802969291?_trk

Since you established that Rednet does improve with an external Word clock, I bit the bullet and ordered a Grimm CC1. First because it is recognised as the best performing master clock and second because it is a 'local' brand worthy of my support.
Should be here mid to end of next week.

Jul 15, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #2,979 of 3,865

SQ wise they should be very close - edge maybe to the SU-1 if using the i2s output, edge to the F-1 on coax and fine LPS.

The SU-1 is a very nice turnkey solution - with a clever and well thought out i2s configuration scheme - hats off to Singxer.

I'm listening to my F-1 right now in my office (with the Uber USB chain) - it sounds great.  And I think for many it would be more then enough.  But in my main room - which is more resolving - the Rednet AOIP is tough to beat.

Tried switching the Cerious Tech Graphene power chord (I have three in the main system - one on the Mutec, One on my DAC and now one on the OCX) - from the RN to the OCX and it made an improvement.

Makes sense since the RN is now externally clocked.

This power chord has improved every piece of gear I have ever plugged it into.

PS Dante Control 3.1 is out now - Wifi compatible.
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-controller

Is the i2s output on the Su-1 compatible w/ the PS Audio i2s?

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #2,980 of 3,865
Is the i2s output on the Su-1 compatible w/ the PS Audio i2s?

Yes, it is compatible with all HDMI i2s since it has dip switches to change the pin out types

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #2,981 of 3,865
Since you established that Rednet does improve with an external Word clock, I bit the bullet and ordered a Grimm CC1. First because it is recognised as the best performing master clock and second because it is a 'local' brand worthy of my support.
Should be here mid to end of next week.

Sweet!  $2600 expensive.  Invest in a decent BNC cable.  Will be interested to see how it works for you.

A little comment 'Rightness' and 'Micro-Synergies'.  Last night the Galileo MPC failed - so a step back.  It was good opportunity to try the Audience au24se coax  - Nice!  There is something special going on - the sound just has a term I'll coin as 'Rightness'. 

I switched back to 24 bit in the DVS and RNC - and that hit the mark.

So I'll be selling the SR Element digital cable.  I guess as you get you SQ to a higher and higher level - getting the fine tuning just right goes a long way to listening happiness.  I'm there right now.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM Post #2,983 of 3,865

Sweet!  $2600 expensive.  Invest in a decent BNC cable.  Will be interested to see how it works for you.

A little comment 'Rightness' and 'Micro-Synergies'.  Last night the Galileo MPC failed - so a step back.  It was good opportunity to try the Audience au24se coax  - Nice!  There is something special going on - the sound just has a term I'll coin as 'Rightness'. 

I switched back to 24 bit in the DVS and RNC - and that hit the mark.

So I'll be selling the SR Element digital cable.  I guess as you get you SQ to a higher and higher level - getting the fine tuning just right goes a long way to listening happiness.  I'm there right now.

In my current setup 32/32 still beats 24/24. Will try all options again with the master clock.
Decent BNC's are on their way too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back