XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 16, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #3,001 of 3,865
My experience is yes - Mutec as SPDIF reclocker.  I have the better clocking USB version (this we covered extensively a few month back here on the clocking difference).

Well my friend I tried it - and with the better Mutec MC-3+ USB clock.

Not by a mile - no guess - but my extensive direct listening experience...and that was with my uber USB chain feeding the F-1

[COLOR=000000]PC>PPA V2 USB card (TeraDak X1 - Nichicon HW caps)>Forza Twin Copper Split USB cable>Startech LEX>BJC CAT6 UTP 550Mhz>Startech REX (with one Jitterbug - Breeze 24VDC LPS+DC iPurifer)>LH Labs 2G split USB cable (data only leg)>W4S Recovery(TeraDak LPS DC-30W+Cerious Graphene PC+ DC iPurifier)>Curious 200mm USB Link>iPur 2>F-1>Audience AU24 SE Digital SPDIF RCA>APL DAC[/COLOR]

Well i believe you but i am rather surprised. It means that the rednet has a much better spdif out. The one on the f-1 is already quite something. Too bad.

Looking forward to trying i2s out with the f-1. By the way, my f-1 sounds even better now. Less bass, basically (there was a bit too much). The rest is about the same. Those Crysteks takes more than 300 hours to settle completely. It's the second set i burn in the last 6 month, i even can say that they have a signature since my modded breeze has the same one.

All that said,, the performance of spdif is dependent upon the receiver so one might reach the full potential of its dac with a lesser setup, given a better receiver.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #3,002 of 3,865
Hello every one I just joined Head Fi . I have been reading rb2013 s posts for a while now and purchased many devices on his findings . With changes moving at a rapid pace
and having a DIXO p3a and a Uptone REGEN powered by there own IFI USB power supply . I decided to jump on the Red Net 3 band wagon all I can say wow
This morning I added a Antelope Live clock to the Red Net 3 as a world clock I am floored by the SQ . All I can say is thank you to Rob for all his great footwork on exposing
us to killer SQ . I take my hat off to you great work         

With feedback like this and Robert's, i am saying to myself, what is 2-3 grands for the rednet and the live clock? God help me. Good thing i want to stick to i2s for now.

The thing is, though, i have been listening to the bnc input of my m-7 for the last few weeks and it's excellent. It's limited to 96k however. I don't like the other receiver (input) as much, but it does 192k. I thought i heard no difference at first with the f-1 but i hear it. The dir9001 is more neutral than the wm8805, as far as their implementation on the m-7 of course. And the i2s is even more neutral.

I looked at ways to add an external clock input to my dac last night. No solution yet but i have not spent much time on it.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #3,003 of 3,865
Just got an idea: how about chaining two-three rather cheap but efficient reclockers. Assuming each one filters a bit more jitter out, it could lead to impressive performances.

That is a bit of what we have been doing in this thread, chaining devices with most of the times a performance enhancement. I would use small externally powered devices that can be joined together with bnc to bnc (or rca) couplers to save on costs.

The only thing is, the noise level would have to be ultra-low in the clock signal for it to work. Maybe something to try with the new iFi reclocker... Or the high-end version: rednet to mutec reclocker to a second mutec reclocker fed all by an external clock!

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #3,004 of 3,865
  Some info on the PS Audio LANRover is available here:
http://www.psaudio.com/products/lanrover-usb-transporter/#tab-features

Seems a pretty interesting device that could help a wide range of users.

My experince with the StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN and the Singxer SU-1 is that this solution probably will exceed the LanRover solution. It will probably cost more but you get the I2S output to your Dac.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,005 of 3,865
  My experince with the StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN and the Singxer SU-1 is that this solution probably will exceed the LanRover solution. It will probably cost more but you get the I2S output to your Dac.

The LANRover is not a USB-SPDIF converter. It's the audiophile equivalent of the Startech LAN so you can use it with SU1.

Your comment are much appreciated!  Yes this really is extrodinary SQ - adding a Mutec MC-3+USB or even better a Antelope AD-DA Converter would likely raise the SQ to another level. http://www.sweetwater.com/c796--Antelope_Audio--AD_DA_Converters

Why would an AD-DA converter raise SQ?

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #3,006 of 3,865
So has anyone used the Singxer SU-1 with an Apple computer using Yosemite or El Capitan?

I have not been able to get the Dixio I was sent to connect on two different Apples, with Yosemite (10.10.3) or El Capitan (10.11.4 or 10.11.5). DIYinHK sent me a screen shot with the Pro 3Z showing up in OSX 10.9.3.

The battery pack (which they said was a free extra and not QC'd) is definitely inoperable (the optical port doesn't light up). The optical port lights up via USB power but, again, the unit does not show up on either computer, where other gear does. So it's going back. 

I might have to read the Rednet posts more carefully.

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #3,007 of 3,865
Just got an idea: how about chaining two-three rather cheap but efficient reclockers. Assuming each one filters a bit more jitter out, it could lead to impressive performances.

That is a bit of what we have been doing in this thread, chaining devices with most of the times a performance enhancement. I would use small externally powered devices that can be joined together with bnc to bnc (or rca) couplers to save on costs.

The only thing is, the noise level would have to be ultra-low in the clock signal for it to work. Maybe something to try with the new iFi reclocker... Or the high-end version: rednet to mutec reclocker to a second mutec reclocker fed all by an external clock!

Some have tried that with the non-USB Mutec3's to good effect.  But stated there is a diminishing return - and that 3 non-USB Mutecs equaled one of the USB Mutecs.

I suppose that 3 Mutec MC-3+ USB would be better then one - but that's $3K worth of SPDIF reclocking.

I hear the Antelope AD/DA is better then the Mutec.  How about three of those - they're only $2500 a piece

This can get into silly money land real fast - I could see $20k-$30k just for a computer source - BEFORE the DAC.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #3,008 of 3,865
  The LANRover is not a USB-SPDIF converter. It's the audiophile equivalent of the Startech LAN so you can use it with SU1.

It's just the Antelope version that can be used for SPDIF re-clocking - I believe their ovenized clocking with JetPLL jitter reduction is better then the Mutec use of a 1G TXCO with extreme upsampling.

The OCX and Live Clock do not do SPDIF reclocking.

Just noticed the Live Clock has DC input - so a LPS could be used, another plus

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #3,009 of 3,865

It's just the Antelope version that can be used for SPDIF re-clocking -....

The Grimm CC1 can reclock AES/EBU as well.

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #3,010 of 3,865

The question is what does the LanRover do so much better than the StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN connected to the SU-1? As you say with the LanRover you don't get SPDIF or I2S.
If USB is allright for you, I would recommend the LanRover over the "StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN" because of PS Audios refinement of the "StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN".

Jul 16, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #3,011 of 3,865
Some have tried that with the non-USB Mutec3's to good effect.  But stated there is a diminishing return - and that 3 non-USB Mutecs equaled one of the USB Mutecs.

I suppose that 3 Mutec MC-3+ USB would be better then one - but that's $3K worth of SPDIF reclocking.

I hear the Antelope AD/DA is better then the Mutec.  How about three of those - they're only $2500 a piece

This can get into silly money land real fast - I could see $20k-$30k just for a computer source - BEFORE the DAC. :rolleyes:

Yeah, i would expect each successive step to add diminishing improvments in absolute terms. The most efficient stage is the asynchrnous one, it's the only that is able to remove low-frequency phase noise and thus improve bass response. Reminds me of the squeezebox days where these little boxes were the only cheap asynch solution available. They have been bested by cheap usb solutions eventually. And now it seems we may go back to ethernet solution soon. Someone will packgage a basic audio over internet device with proper power supply, isolation and clocking at some point for sure. A one box solution with galvanic isolation of the ethernet connection.

Jul 16, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #3,012 of 3,865

That's one reason I decided on the Live clock the small form factor was the other .
Red Net 3 takes up much room in my limited shelf space .
The power supply is 18 volts DC the unit says 6 watts max
I am happy with my Metrum Octave DAC
The interface has much to do with the SQ more then most people think . 

Jul 16, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #3,014 of 3,865
  The question is what does the LanRover do so much better than the StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN connected to the SU-1? As you say with the LanRover you don't get SPDIF or I2S.
If USB is allright for you, I would recommend the LanRover over the "StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN" because of PS Audios refinement of the "StarTech.com 4 Port USB 2.0 over LAN".

One difference I see the LEX does not need power from the +5VDC USB.  But that's not a big deal - my Startech LEX is powered by a LPS Teradak X1

Jul 16, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #3,015 of 3,865
Yeah, i would expect each successive step to add diminishing improvments in absolute terms. The most efficient stage is the asynchrnous one, it's the only that is able to remove low-frequency phase noise and thus improve bass response. Reminds me of the squeezebox days where these little boxes were the only cheap asynch solution available. They have been bested by cheap usb solutions eventually. And now it seems we may go back to ethernet solution soon. Someone will packgage a basic audio over internet device with proper power supply, isolation and clocking at some point for sure. A one box solution with galvanic isolation of the ethernet connection.

Ethernet is GI intrinstically  - but I did find a very slight improvement with the FMC ethernet in between - esp when I added LPS to feed both ends

Yes what all this blogging is all about - to get these freaking box makers to wake up - to the end user demands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back