XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 30, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #1,023 of 3,865
  From Alex's thread - first review of the Singxer SU-1

http://www.jplay.info/#!blank-2/fbb2v

I wish the reviewer also compared to the F-1. On my initial read, I thought they were saying that they didn't think the F-1 was drastically better but that the SU-1 was noticeable to them. On second reading, I'm pretty sure they mean the SU-1 is better but not a night and day difference in their system as some people are saying here.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #1,024 of 3,865
  I wish the reviewer also compared to the F-1. On my initial read, I thought they were saying that they didn't think the F-1 was drastically better but that the SU-1 was noticeable to them. On second reading, I'm pretty sure they mean the SU-1 is better but not a night and day difference in their system as some people are saying here.

Hey we get a mention!  From Japan!

Soon after the announcement of USB-to-S/PDIF (and I2S/DSD) conversion board "F-1" with the latest XMOS XU208, it has attracted a great attention with praise in Head-fi.org forum, which has become one of the hottest topics there.
F-1 is for DIYers without housing.  SU-1 is a stand-alone product announced at the same time.

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #1,025 of 3,865
A good explanation of the SU-1 and i2s over hdmi
From the JPLAY Japan review of the Singxer SU-1:

< HDMI LVDS I2S/DSD output >

For many users, its specifications are headache, as there exists no standards.
SU-1 adopts LVDS (Low-Voltage Differential Signals) which can be conveyed via an HDMI cable.
It consists of four signals, namely, SDATA, BCLK, LRCK and MCLK, each of which are in a differential pair (+GND), and was designed originally by the US company PS Audio, aiming at a stable signal transfer for a certain length of cable.  3 x 4 = 12 pins are used and assigned to HDMI No.1 to 12.

PS Audio suggests that pins No.3/4/9/10 should be positive, whereas Chinese manufacturers such as Gustard simply ignore this suggestion and set No.1/4/7/10 positive, although the sequence of these four signals is the same.
Therefore, if you connect Gustard U12 with a DAC from PS Audio via an HDMI cable, for example, the phase of SDATA and LRCK is reversed, resulting in the swap of absolute phase and left/right channel, respectively.

"Hydra Z" of Audiobyte (Rumania) has a dip switch to reverse the phase.
This function seemed to be a perfect solution to get a complete compatibility both for Gustard and PS Audio.  If you play only PCM files, this solution was enough.

There is another issue when DSD signals are shared.
There are three signals for DSD, namely, DSDCLK and DSDL/DSDR for each channel.  Usually, DSDCLK is shared with BCLK, which all the manufacturers follow.
However, there are two different pairings for allocating left and right channel.  PS Audio shares DSDR with SDATA, whereas Gustard DSDL.  This means that a phase inversion of 1/3 and 7/9 as can be seen in "Hydra Z" is not sufficient.  The channel swap of DSD playback must be also taken into consideration.

Even some manufacturers were confused.  In the old pin assignment chart of Gustard such as for U12 and DAC-X12, you see SDATA shared with DSDR, which was incorrect.  The current chart indicating SDATA shared with DSDL is correct, and has been modified from the previous one without prior notice initiated by users.

The story does not end here.  Some DACs do not recognise PCM and DSD signals automatically and require DSDOE (3.3V for DSD, 0V for PCM).
In Gustard DAC-X20, the pin No.15 is used for this purpose, but other manufactures may use a pin between No.13 and 16.
Audio-gd does not include DSDOE in the signal conveyed through an HDMI cable, and the user has to connect an extra cable to the specified connector inside the DAC.
On the other hand, PS Audio DACs do not require DSDOE, as all their products identify PCM and DSD automatically (a reply from their US headquarters customer service).

SU-1 has a dip switch which makes it fully compatible both with Gustard and PS Audio.  The prototype I used this time has this switch inside the chassis, requiring the top metal plate to be removed.  The production version is said to have the switch on the rear panel for direct manipulation.

What can be set are as follows:
DSDOE signal allocation to the pins from No.13 to 16 (independently settable)
phase inversion of No.1/3 and 7/9 (as a pair, not independently)
channel inversion for DSD playback

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #1,027 of 3,865

JPLAY review of the Singxer SU-1
Interesting:

Comparison with: Gustard U12, DAC-X20 internal USB-I2S/DSD board, Melodious MX-U8 ver1.7

No drastic change could be recognised, not as described in many posts by F-1 users in Head-fi.org forum.
This might come from the fact that the merit of galvanic isolation of F-1 has been already realised in my environment thanks to the clean power supply and the USB isolator.

However, SU-1 is superior in all aspects such as resolution and richness of each tone in all the range.
What I have found in common after listening to various genre of music is the lower gravity and even drier bass than XMOS U8, which has already reached a certain level.
It might be a childish description, but I feel as if I had got a ticket of the best seat at last, although all my previous tickets had been in the first class category.

Is this JCAT posting this?
galvanic isolation of F-1 has been already realised in my environment thanks to the clean power supply and the USB isolator. 

Hard to believe he would not hear a difference from the better Crystek CCHD clocks in the SU-1 over the generic Chinese TXCO in the Gustard U12...hmmmm...

He contradicts himself (could be a language thing): "No drastic change could be recognised, not as described in many posts by F-1 users in Head-fi.org forum." then says: "However, SU-1 is superior in all aspects such as resolution and richness of each tone in all the range.
What I have found in common after listening to various genre of music is the lower gravity and even drier bass than XMOS U8, which has already reached a certain level.
It might be a childish description, but I feel as if I had got a ticket of the best seat at last, although all my previous tickets had been in the first class category."
confused_face_2.gif

However, many posts by F-1 users suggest it would be worth trying either SU-1 or F-1, as they recognise a huge improvement in sound quality. 

Well I agree with that!

I think it's a good review!?
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #1,030 of 3,865

You've tried it? I thought you just said you're using the PPAv2. How does it compare? 

No - but it looks great and I know some folks who rave about it - way to rich for this guy!  I'm about out of audio budget as it is.

Paul Pang also has the PPA V3 with OXCO clocks for around the same.

We need to get rid of USB before I go broke!
frown.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,031 of 3,865
What do you do when you're a manufacturer that has released a device that is so good that it might undercut the sales of your more expensive product that is just about to be released ?

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #1,032 of 3,865
  What do you do when you're a manufacturer that has released a device that is so good that it might undercut the sales of your more expensive product that is just about to be released ?

Tell everyone you need both
biggrin.gif

What do you do when you're a manufacturer that annouces a great audio product that is OEM sourced and already available.

PS I wish Alex had gone into more detail on how this ICRON/Startech LAN USB extender improves the sound so much!   And I have heard of many folks with Intona issues with the need for frequent reprograming.   Since ICRON is ASIC based I doubt it can be re-programmed - but don't know for sure.

If I get some time tomorrow will crack the cases open and post nudies.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #1,033 of 3,865

No - but it looks great and I know some folks who rave about it - way to rich for this guy!  I'm about out of audio budget as it is.

Paul Pang also has the PPA V3 with OXCO clocks for around the same.

We need to get rid of USB before I go broke!
frown.gif

That said if Mike says the REDNETD16 is really good - I'll list all my analog gear on audiogon and get the REDNET 3...and pray the wife does not find out.

Apr 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,034 of 3,865
http://www.icron.com/products/oem/usb-extenders/fiber/usb-2-0-rg2300a-core/
Thinking about Alex's comments on the ICRON/Startech LAN boxes having clocks - the good news is they're likely to sound even better down the road once they have a 100 hundred hours on them...

BTW this is the

USB 2.0 RG2300A Core SO-DIMM Form Factor

Info:

Features​

1. USB 2.0 throughputs up to 480 Mbps
  2. USB extension over copper and fiber
  3. Interoperability with RG2304 series of extenders and the RG2300
  4. Extend up to 31 USB devices (including hubs)
  5. Pin-for-pin compatibility with existing RG2100 and RG2300 Core hardware designs

Ask your sales representative for additional features that may meet your specific requirements
Includes the ExtremeUSB® suite of features:​
  1. Transparent USB extension
  2. True plug and play; no software drivers required
  3. Works with all major operating systems: Windows®, OS X®, and Linux®

http://www.icron.com/products/oem/usb-extenders/fiber/usb-2-0-rg2300a-core/

AND a new term - Extreme USB:
Includes the ExtremeUSB® suite of features:​
ExtremeUSB.jpg
  1. Transparent USB extension
  2. True plug and play; no software drivers required
  3. Works with all major operating systems: Windows®, OS X®, and Linux®

http://www.icron.com/products/oem/usb-2-0-rg2300a-and-rg2310a-core-modules/

Apr 30, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #1,035 of 3,865

Let's start a letter/Email writing campaign to Focusrite.  Mike did you see the Dante AES will only output 2 channel at 96k - or do they have a new version out - that one was only $500.

The Brooklyn II module works at up to 192k. The Rednet D16 AES uses a Brooklyn II module internally according to the diagnostics. 

I am currently listening to it at 24/192KHz, and it sounds _absolutely_incredible_  

I don't know if it's the benefits of taking USB out of the equation completely, the inherent benefits of AOE, or the fact that I can now sync the entire chain to the ultra precision master clock in my DAC, but this is a definite step up.  I want to give it more time before describing the differences I hear but as of right now, it is definitely a keeper.

At first, It wasn't quite as plug-n-play as the Dante starter series made it seem - ie: it didn't like my LACP primary ethernet connection, so I just ran straight from the D16 to one of my motherboard Ethernet ports - it configured itself with local addressing and showed right up in the Dante Controller app. I had to spend some time getting the hang of making sure all of the latency settings between devices were where they should be, and there were a couple of hiccups in getting used to using a master clock for everything. However, once I figured that stuff out (and that I needed to set the second private network to "trusted" on my firewall), everything syncs up perfectly with < 1ms latency.  Running two channels of uncompressed 24/192 audio is consuming around 20Mbps of bandwidth on the network, which is barely a flicker for GigE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back