XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 30, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #1,006 of 3,865

And btw, for anyone who wants a good network cable I'd definitely go with @mhamel's recomendation for the BJC cable. Or anything made by Belden (like the Belden DataTuff series). Those are some serious network cables who pass all Cat specs without a sweat .. somewhat expensive but nowhere near Audioquest unicorn prices.

Another vote for BJC network cables.  I use those for all the critical wiring in my network.  I started out with just the servers, but eventually I bit the bullet and replaced everything.  They aren't even that expensive.

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #1,007 of 3,865

Another vote for BJC network cables.  I use those for all the critical wiring in my network.  I started out with just the servers, but eventually I bit the bullet and replaced everything.  They aren't even that expensive.

Yeah thanks Mike!  BTW he has the Focusrite REDNETDI16 was it?  Anyway we should get a report on this DANTE to AES thing soon.

BJC cable on it's way yesterday!

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,008 of 3,865

I don't believe they need clocks - as they are not isolating the USB stream per se...that's the beauty of this approach.  The Intona approach seems much more complicated.  And now we can just eliminate the USB part completely - AES67Ethernet to SPDIF (i2s?)!

You see USB requires a two communication and there for a short cable run - latency issues with longer.  The TCP/IP conversion of the USB packets eliminates that issue.  But that is why ISO audio will not work on the ICRON/Startech LAN Ethernet to USB extender.  The TCP/IP protocol does not allow for that two way communication.  It does communicate between the sender (LEX) and the reciever (REX) for lost or erronious TCP/IP packets - those all load into a very large buffer that then feeds the TCP/IP to USB conversion.

Fortunately we all use Async USB 2.0 Audio - no need for that USB two way communication

Hi Robert:

Your enthusiasm in this thread and elsewhere is wonderful--and infectious.
I mean no offense, but I've been watching this thread for some time, and that enthusiasm and your posts often run well ahead of the facts.  I really would not know where to begin in correcting some of what has been written here.

There is a LOT of misunderstanding about audio-over-IP for sure, and if eliminating USB and putting Ethernet into DACs was so simple you would have seen much more of it long ago.  I could write a lot about that, but mainly people need to think about the OS and player side, as lack of truly free and open "virtual sound card" drivers--which should just be built into the OS--to allow Ethernet ports look to apps look like a sound card is what keeps the requirement for end-point devices to be full 'renderers', which aside from potential convenience and galvanic isolation does not otherwise change the world.

But today I can at least correct what you wrote above:  The ICRON units--and all USB and Ethernet connection products--absolutely have oscillator clocks!  All processor chips need them, as do all PHY interfaces (USB, Ethernet, etc.).  For the Icron units they are 24Mhz and 25Mhz, the latter of which gets used at both 25Mhz as well as multiplied to 100Mhz (for FPGA use).

The other misconception here is with regards isochronous versus async transmission. In the USB audio specs (UAC1 and UAC2) ALL audio is isochronous, isochronous means "constant time", the host reserves time on the bus for the stream so no other device can use it, the stream is guaranteed its slice of bandwidth. So both of the common protocols used for audio--adaptive and asynchronous--are isochronous, the stream from the computer is EXACTLY the same in both cases. The difference is that asynchronous protocol adds a feedback path from the DAC to the computer than can be used to tell the computer to speed up or slow down. The samples that come from the computer go into a FIFO as they come in, the local (presumably low jitter) clock is used to take them out. The DAC keeps tabs on how full the FIFO is and tells the computer to slow down or speed up if the FIFO is getting too full or too empty. The feedback happens every so often as needed to keep the computer in step with the local clock. Adaptive protocol does not have the feedback, so the clock in the DAC has to adjust itself to match the rate coming over the wire.

For the ICRON devices, only the faster Gigabit LAN versions have enough speed and buffer to handle an isochronous stream.  There are other aspects of Icron's ExtremeUSB and Simultaneous User tech which are quite interesting, but I am under a non-disclosure agreement with Icron and thus not sure what I can or can not reveal.

While we are more interested in what could be done with their SO-DIMM modules, if I was PS Audio, one of the first areas I'd look to for customizing/improving the REX end of the Icron RG2304GE-LAN boards would be the power supply, as stock it just uses DC-DC switching regulators to take that 24V down to 5V, 3.3V, and likely 1.2V for the core.

I'd say something about improving the REX's USB output signal integrity with some popular devices, but then the mods would probably delete this post.  :wink:

BTW, the PS for the REX end does not have to be 24V.  The spec sheet says 10-24V is fine.  Just figure that a 12V supply with it ought to be capable of at about 2A.  They provide a 24V/1A supply just because it is smaller and cheaper--and because their device's internal switching regulator can handle that.

Have a great weekend all!

--Alex C.
UpTone Audio

Apr 30, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,009 of 3,865

Yeah thanks Mike!  BTW he has the Focusrite REDNETDI16 was it?  Anyway we should get a report on this DANTE to AES thing soon.

BJC cable on it's way yesterday!

Turns out Amazon has the BJC ethernet cables, so I have one coming tomorrow for the Focusrite box.

Speaking of the Focusrite box, it's sitting here now. I had it shipped overnight so I could play around with it over the weekend. I'll get it hooked up later today and see how it goes.  It's the Rednet D16 AES.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,010 of 3,865
I ordered one of these as an inexpensive experiment:

TecNec DMX-3XM-CAT5 3-pin XLR Male to RJ45 Adapter-by-TecNec https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KUTR7MA/

It'll go into a Mutec MC-3+USB.

I've only tried USB and TOSLINK into it from the computer so far. My optical cable is pretty pedestrian but can do 192kHz, though I think USB sounds better from my PC.

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #1,011 of 3,865

For the ICRON devices, only the faster Gigabit LAN versions have enough speed and buffer to handle an isochronous stream.  There are other aspects of Icron's ExtremeUSB and Simultaneous User tech which are quite interesting, but I am under a non-disclosure agreement with Icron and thus not sure what I can or can not reveal.

Hi,
Have you had opportunity to compare Icron Gigabit LAN USB extender with Intona?

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #1,012 of 3,865

Turns out Amazon has the BJC ethernet cables, so I have one coming tomorrow for the Focusrite box.

Speaking of the Focusrite box, it's sitting here now. I had it shipped overnight so I could play around with it over the weekend. I'll get it hooked up later today and see how it goes.  It's the Rednet D16 AES.

Hi Mike:

Looking forward to your report about the Focusrite unit!

And yes, the BlueJeans/Belden Cat6a cables are fantastic--I've been using a 25-ft run between direct connected my DAC-connected computer and my desktop machine (shared drives for music and for headless remote control; bypassing Ethernet switch really help) for about 2 years.  At the time I purchased a variety of Ethernet cables (specifically chosen based on various construction techniques--gauge, shielding, materials, bandwidth, etc.) including some Cat7.  The BlueJeans/bonded-pair Belden Cat6a (which, while shielded, does not tie the shield at either end) was quite obviously (relatively speaking still in the subtle changes area) the very best of the bunch.  The particular Cat7 (Kanex) I tried came in dead last in the 5-way, though I think it might have been a copper-clad aluminum construction.

Ciao,

ALEX

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,013 of 3,865

Hi,

No.  I have not bought the Icron, and my early Intona is awaiting its turn for the firmware reprogrammer on its USA tour of users.  It presently won't work at all for me without a REGEN after it.  (Which is okay as I think it really needs sonically.)

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #1,014 of 3,865

Hi Mike:

And yes, the BlueJeans/Belden Cat6a cables are fantastic--I've been using a 25-ft run between direct connected my DAC-connected computer and my desktop machine (shared drives for music and for headless remote control; bypassing Ethernet switch really help) for about 2 years.  At the time I purchased a variety of Ethernet cables (specifically chosen based on various construction techniques--gauge, shielding, materials, bandwidth, etc.) including some Cat7.  The BlueJeans/bonded-pair Belden Cat6a (which, while shielded, does not tie the shield at either end) was quite obviously (relatively speaking still in the subtle changes area) the very best of the bunch.  The particular Cat7 (Kanex) I tried came in dead last in the 5-way, though I think it might have been a copper-clad aluminum construction.

Ciao,

ALEX

Hey Alex,

I'm excited about the possibilities with Dante, even though it's really designed to be for much larger scale/more complex applications. I like the idea that if this works out well, I can route bit perfect audio to any of the systems I have in my home, which are already connected in some way to wired Gigabit. If would be nicer if the entry point for a Dante->AES interface wasn't so high, even though I realize that's not their primary target market. I wrote to them asking if they would be willing to put together a smaller DIY-centric version of https://www.audinate.com/products/manufacturer-products/dante-brooklyn-ii-pdk with thoughts of a simple 2 channel Dante->AES output module that supports the full 24/192 sample rate and doesn't break the bank.

I should have the D16 up and connected in a bit, I'll report back on impressions once I've had some time to get things configured and operational.

-Mike

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,015 of 3,865
RB2013

I have an F-1 on order.  Currently the only USB "accessories" I am using are a powered USB hub followed by an AQVOX power injector.  Can you provide some guidance on what other item is the most beneficial with the F-1 card?  I am thinking Regen/Recovery/etc.  I don't really want to add a whole bunch of units as I think at some point the value of all the add-ons would be better spent on upgrading other components in my system, but I would be willing to invest $200-250 perhaps.

Thanks

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,016 of 3,865

Hi Robert:

Your enthusiasm in this thread and elsewhere is wonderful--and infectious.
I mean no offense, but I've been watching this thread for some time, and that enthusiasm and your posts often run well ahead of the facts.  I really would not know where to begin in correcting some of what has been written here.

There is a LOT of misunderstanding about audio-over-IP for sure, and if eliminating USB and putting Ethernet into DACs was so simple you would have seen much more of it long ago.  I could write a lot about that, but mainly people need to think about the OS and player side, as lack of truly free and open "virtual sound card" drivers--which should just be built into the OS--to allow Ethernet ports look to apps look like a sound card is what keeps the requirement for end-point devices to be full 'renderers', which aside from potential convenience and galvanic isolation does not otherwise change the world.

But today I can at least correct what you wrote above:  The ICRON units--and all USB and Ethernet connection products--absolutely have oscillator clocks!  All processor chips need them, as do all PHY interfaces (USB, Ethernet, etc.).  For the Icron units they are 24Mhz and 25Mhz, the latter of which gets used at both 25Mhz as well as multiplied to 100Mhz (for FPGA use).

The other misconception here is with regards isochronous versus async transmission. In the USB audio specs (UAC1 and UAC2) ALL audio is isochronous, isochronous means "constant time", the host reserves time on the bus for the stream so no other device can use it, the stream is guaranteed its slice of bandwidth. So both of the common protocols used for audio--adaptive and asynchronous--are isochronous, the stream from the computer is EXACTLY the same in both cases. The difference is that asynchronous protocol adds a feedback path from the DAC to the computer than can be used to tell the computer to speed up or slow down. The samples that come from the computer go into a FIFO as they come in, the local (presumably low jitter) clock is used to take them out. The DAC keeps tabs on how full the FIFO is and tells the computer to slow down or speed up if the FIFO is getting too full or too empty. The feedback happens every so often as needed to keep the computer in step with the local clock. Adaptive protocol does not have the feedback, so the clock in the DAC has to adjust itself to match the rate coming over the wire.

While we are more interested in what could be done with their SO-DIMM modules, if I was PS Audio, one of the first areas I'd look to for customizing/improving the REX end of the Icron RG2304GE-LAN boards would be the power supply, as stock it just uses DC-DC switching regulators to take that 24V down to 5V, 3.3V, and likely 1.2V for the core.

I'd say something about improving the REX's USB output signal integrity with some popular devices, but then the mods would probably delete this post.  :wink:

BTW, the PS for the REX end does not have to be 24V.  The spec sheet says 10-24V is fine.  Just figure that a 12V supply with it ought to be capable of at about 2A.  They provide a 24V/1A supply just because it is smaller and cheaper--and because their device's internal switching regulator can handle that.

Have a great weekend all!

--Alex C.
UpTone Audio

Hi Alex - Wow that's quite a message - let's see if I can unpack some of this:

First, I want to say I have a good deal of respect for you and John and what Uptone has done to improve USB audio and address some of it's many issues - and I do own and like the Regen.  Now I know you have deep investments and business interests notably your involvement with the Sonore and the new Micro-Rendu, as well as of course the Regen and it's follow on products - and so a commitment to USB and UpNP audio.  So please do not take offense as to what I'm about to say.

None taken - now this new area of Audio over IP is changing rapidly and evolving as we speak...I only post comments and facts from other notable sources.  I have an opinion but it is only that like every other person who posts her - including you.

There is a LOT of misunderstanding about audio-over-IP for sure, and if eliminating USB and putting Ethernet into DACs was so simple you would have seen much more of it long ago 

Well it was done long ago with the Squeeze Box - as I understand it.  But the fact it is not in every DAC today does not mean it will not be in the future.  We already see sota DAC's without USB or i2s - just AES67 Ethernet RAVENNA.  The The Merging Technology NADAC's - sorry Alex that is a fact - not an opinion.  It is the first of many - that is my opinion.
http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/impressions-the-merging-technology-nadac-mc-8-dsd-dac/.  Like the pre-USB 2.0 Audio Async days  - when USB was not the std - but that changed with that protocol development.  Audio over IP has now just recently evolved as well - with the advent of AES67 and the revisions to DANTE and RAVENNA to comply with this std.  And many ProAudio companies have climbed on board.  Sorry Alex that is a fact - not an opinion.  Now I believe that AES67 'will' become the defacto std in high end consumer audio - that is my opinion - like it or not...maybe a development like that would not match your business plan...so be it.

But today I can at least correct what you wrote above:  The ICRON units--and all USB and Ethernet connection products--absolutely have oscillator clocks!  

Now Alex that is not what I said - this is my direct quote - "I don't believe they need clocks..."  I have not opened the Startech yet to see their boards - they only arrived a day ago - and are sounding amazing.

But thank for the technical explaination, information and correction - what this forum is all about.

So both of the common protocols used for audio--adaptive and asynchronous--are isochronous, the stream from the computer is EXACTLY the same in both cases. 

Thanks for the detailed explaination of ISO and ASYNC audio. 

Thanks for the suggestions!  You are welcome to PM any ideas on improving this amazing unit.  And the 12V power capability is very helpful.

I just want to add on the XU208 F-1 - you where quiet dissmissive of this DDC and I have to say - in this case I'm sure glad I did not take your comments to heart - as the SQ I'm hearing is simply stellar. 

As I always I appreciate your technical knowledge and welcome you to participate here when you have time.  And setting me straight - I have learned much from your comments!

I look forward to your new creations - esp the new LPS power supply.
Cheers!
Bob

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #1,017 of 3,865

Used it in DualPC mode, indeed performed better.
ViaBlue is better, used it too:

http://www.viablue.de/com/ep7s_cat7_ethernet_cable_solid.shtml

Hi, wonder if u had compared viablue it to the bluejeans cable in dual pc mode. So far, the improvement that I had doesnt compel me to try any further on ethernet cables.  

Hi, sorry, I didn't compare it to Bluejeans cable.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #1,018 of 3,865

Damn -
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

I have to say I love this wacky thread!

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,019 of 3,865

Hi,

Great question!

Hi Mike:

Ciao,

ALEX

'The Blue Jeans bonded-pair Belden CAT6a'  Will order up one of those as well!

No.  I have not bought the Icron, and my early Intona is awaiting its turn for the firmware reprogrammer on its USA tour of users.  It presently won't work at all for me without a REGEN after it.  (Which is okay as I think it really needs sonically.)

Answer.

Hey Alex,

I'm excited about the possibilities with Dante, even though it's really designed to be for much larger scale/more complex applications. I like the idea that if this works out well, I can route bit perfect audio to any of the systems I have in my home, which are already connected in some way to wired Gigabit. If would be nicer if the entry point for a Dante->AES interface wasn't so high, even though I realize that's not their primary target market. I wrote to them asking if they would be willing to put together a smaller DIY-centric version of https://www.audinate.com/products/manufacturer-products/dante-brooklyn-ii-pdk with thoughts of a simple 2 channel Dante->AES output module that supports the full 24/192 sample rate and doesn't break the bank.

I should have the D16 up and connected in a bit, I'll report back on impressions once I've had some time to get things configured and operational.

-Mike

Let's start a letter/Email writing campaign to Focusrite.  Mike did you see the Dante AES will only output 2 channel at 96k - or do they have a new version out - that one was only $500.

RB2013

I have an F-1 on order.  Currently the only USB "accessories" I am using are a powered USB hub followed by an AQVOX power injector.  Can you provide some guidance on what other item is the most beneficial with the F-1 card?  I am thinking Regen/Recovery/etc.  I don't really want to add a whole bunch of units as I think at some point the value of all the add-ons would be better spent on upgrading other components in my system, but I would be willing to invest $200-250 perhaps.

Thanks

Yes I think that a Regen or Recovery would be the one item I would get - my preference is the Recovery (sorry Alex
bigsmile_face.gif
), but they are both very good..  And a low cost power solution for the Recovery - a 9VDC iPower for $49.
Total $249.

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,020 of 3,865
Have you listened to the same chain without Intona? Like that:
Intel Nuc-->Sbooster vbus blocker-->Supra USB cable-->Aqvox psu-->F1-->Oehlbach coax cable-->Hegel H80 coax1
And differences you can describe?

Have not tried that really since I am happy with my setup for now.
Have no such Hi-Fi ears I can do anything else than a/b comparison by switching input.
But I can disconnect the Intona and try to listen for changes in SQ.
Not today but coming days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back