XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 30, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #1,036 of 3,865

The Brooklyn II module works at up to 192k. The Rednet D16 AES uses a Brooklyn II module internally according to the diagnostics. 

I am currently listening to it at 24/192KHz, and it sounds _absolutely_incredible_  

I don't know if it's the benefits of taking USB out of the equation completely, the inherent benefits of AOE, or the fact that I can now sync the entire chain to the ultra precision master clock in my DAC, but this is a definite step up.  I want to give it more time before describing the differences I hear but as of right now, it is definitely a keeper.

At first, It wasn't quite as plug-n-play as the Dante starter series made it seem - ie: it didn't like my LACP primary ethernet connection, so I just ran straight from the D16 to one of my motherboard Ethernet ports - it configured itself with local addressing and showed right up in the Dante Controller app. I had to spend some time getting the hang of making sure all of the latency settings between devices were where they should be, and there were a couple of hiccups in getting used to using a master clock for everything. However, once I figured that stuff out (and that I needed to set the second private network to "trusted" on my firewall), everything syncs up perfectly with < 1ms latency.  Running two channels of uncompressed 24/192 audio is consuming around 20Mbps of bandwidth on the network, which is barely a flicker for GigE.

Breaking new ground!  The first I have ever seen of the AES67  version of DANTE used for high end audio - Cheers to that!

Now I wonder if it would sound as good - with the REDNET3 - and without the external clocking.  You are running AES out at 192k or SPDIF?
The new SU-1 has word clk out on BNC - would that work for the REDNET's?  Maybe a cheap way to get CCHD low phase noise for cheap.

I imagine the internal REDNET clocks are just XO's.

Waiting to hear more on your results - and comparison to the F-1

Cheers!

BTW what PC CPU and OS?

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,038 of 3,865

Breaking new ground!  The first I have ever seen of the AES67  version of DANTE used for high end audio - Cheers to that!

Now I wonder if it would sound as good - with the REDNET3 - and without the external clocking.  You are running AES out at 192k or SPDIF?
The new SU-1 has word clk out on BNC - would that work for the REDNET's?  Maybe a cheap way to get CCHD low phase noise for cheap.

I imagine the internal REDNET clocks are just XO's.

Waiting to hear more on your results - and comparison to the F-1

Cheers!

BTW what PC CPU and OS?

So far I haven't really wanted to stop listening to write much about it. Hahaha

I've been trying out both 192KHz via the Dante Virtual Soundcard ASIO drivers and 96KHz via the WDM drivers.  Both work flawlessly. I can leave it in WDM mode for general use, gaming, etc... switch it over to ASIO when I want to just listen to music through JRiver or another player that supports ASIO output. I am using AES from the D16 into the Convert-2 and a Canare word clock cable between the two. The Dante Controller then picks up the the externally synced clock from the D16 and uses it as the master for all of the devices in the network.

The differences to my ears so far have been in subtle details, spatial cues, the sense of "air" around an instrument and it's placement in space. There is a sense of dynamics and realism that go beyond the already great sound of the F-1. It's not easy to describe... listening for the specific differences, they are subtle changes, but they add up to a noticeable difference to my ears. If I try to describe it with an exaggerated visual sense - imagine looking at an amazing photograph of a scenic view. You can sense the depth, the colors are vivid and rich, the focus is perfect...  you can see the details, you can imagine you're there.... that to me is as good as I had heard in this setup with the Wyrd->F-1->AES/SPDF Cable->Convert-2.  Now stand in front of that same scenic view... in real life. You don't just sense the depth, you feel it through the additional visual and audible cues. The colors are beyond vivid and rich... they are real. The focus is not just sharp, it is dynamic and crystal clear.. you don't need to imagine you're there, because you _are_ there. As I said, an exaggerated visual analogy, but that's the general sense I get from this.

-Mike

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,039 of 3,865

I've been trying out both 192KHz via the Dante Virtual Soundcard ASIO drivers and 96KHz via the WDM drivers.  Both work flawlessly. I can leave it in WDM mode for general use, gaming, etc... switch it over to ASIO when I want to just listen to music through JRiver or another player that supports ASIO output. I am using AES from the D16 into the Convert-2 and a Canare word clock cable between the two. The Dante Controller then picks up the the externally synced clock from the D16 and uses it as the master for all of the devices in the network.

The differences to my ears so far have been in subtle details, spatial cues, the sense of "air" around an instrument and it's placement in space. There is a sense of dynamics and realism that go beyond the already great sound of the F-1. It's not easy to describe... listening for the specific differences, they are subtle changes, but they add up to a noticeable difference to my ears. If I try to describe it with an exaggerated visual sense - imagine looking at an amazing photograph of a scenic view. You can sense the depth, the colors are vivid and rich, the focus is perfect...  you can see the details, you can imagine you're there.... that to me is as good as I had heard in this setup with the Wyrd->F-1->AES/SPDF Cable->Convert-2.  Now stand in front of that same scenic view... in real life. You don't just sense the depth, you feel it through the additional visual and audible cues. The colors are beyond vivid and rich... they are real. The focus is not just sharp, it is dynamic and crystal clear.. you don't need to imagine you're there, because you _are_ there. As I said, an exaggerated visual analogy, but that's the general sense I get from this.

-Mike

Great description - being a landscape photographer - I gave up even with a D5 mkiv - it was just impossible.  Yes depth of field - the human eyes like our ears are truly extrodinary.  I turned to oil painting instead!

Being my Maggie 1.6qr are 5ft tall 2 ft wide panels they project a life sized image - my goal to produce all the other attributes to the impression of a live performance - it's getting close.

I see your 16 does a wider range of sample rates then the 3 - the 3 must have only one 24.576Mhz clock and yours has both.
REDNET 16 Supported sample rates
44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 kHz (-4% / -0.1% / +0.1% / +4.167%) at 24 bit
REDNET 3
Supported sample rates
44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 192 kHz

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,042 of 3,865
  Reading in the REDNET 3 manual - you can set the clock source to a couple of options - is that true for outputing - it looks like it.
The SU-1 could provide the CCHD 24.576Mhz clock for the REDNET 3 - very cool!

I came across a good article when I was searching for some discussion about the quality of the clock in my DAC... http://pinknoisemag.com/pink-papers/pink-paper-002  - and a quote about my DAC from the article:

"Externally clocking the Dangerous Music CONVERT-2 – The CONVERT-2 is a stereo DAC that showed no improvement when clocked externally, and in fact sounded a bit worse when it was. This is an indication that the CONVERT-2 is a solidly designed and implemented converter whose internal clock and PLL are expertly tuned to each other. The CONVERT-2 DAC is, therefore, a good candidate as a studio’s master clock and has shown itself to be when clocking converters that do respond to external clocking."

There is discussion in the article about listening for the impact of clock changes that describes some what I was hearing with the Dante/Focusrite setup over the F-1, too. It makes me think that it is indeed a combination of taking the USB chain out of the mix, taking advantage of the benefits of AOE, and having everything synced to one excellent master clock that are contributing to the improvements.

I've got 29 days left to decide, but I'm already 99% sure the F-1/USB solution is going on the shelf as my backup option and the D16 is getting bolted into the rack for a permanent home.

May 1, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #1,043 of 3,865

I came across a good article when I was searching for some discussion about the quality of the clock in my DAC... http://pinknoisemag.com/pink-papers/pink-paper-002  - and a quote about my DAC from the article:

There is discussion in the article about listening for the impact of clock changes that describes some what I was hearing with the Dante/Focusrite setup over the F-1, too. It makes me think that it is indeed a combination of taking the USB chain out of the mix, taking advantage of the benefits of AOE, and having everything synced to one excellent master clock that are contributing to the improvements.

I've got 29 days left to decide, but I'm already 99% sure the F-1/USB solution is going on the shelf as my backup option and the D16 is getting bolted into the rack for a permanent home.

Well you are lucky to have a DAC with those great clocks - my tube DAC's have good clocks but not word clock out unfortunately.

It will be interesting see how it progresses with run time.

The mighty F-1 falls to the REDNET 16 - but of course the RN16 is $1600!  So jealous LOL!

May 1, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #1,044 of 3,865
http://jplay.eu/jcat/
will you try it RB?

I must say, your discovering upgrades so often RB that ill be wathcing this thread often and wait a couple months before upgrading my setup. who know in one year where youll be
crazy thread and very awesome!

see you next year!

May 1, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #1,046 of 3,865

-Mike

is the bass quality as good or better compared with the f1 ? It's possible to enhance detail to a hyper real effect, but the bass generally suffers as the balance has been shifted to the treble.

May 1, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #1,047 of 3,865
Any opinion about the power supply part of SU-1 ?

That does not seems impressive. I only see 2 ICs. So looks like integrated rectifier.
One has a big radiator. 

But it depends on LDO they used after it.
Any idea about which LDO are on F-1 / SU-1 ?
Looks like there are small LDO for each clock which is good.

May 1, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #1,048 of 3,865
sorry ... above my budget ...
redface.gif
frown.gif

May 1, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #1,049 of 3,865
is the bass quality as good or better compared with the f1 ? It's possible to enhance detail to a hyper real effect, but the bass generally suffers as the balance has been shifted to the treble.

The balance of the overall sound hasn't shifted at all. It doesn't sound overly enhanced in any way. The bass, to my ears, is better than the F1.

May 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #1,050 of 3,865
Link or reference?
Thanks.

Hi Alex,  in the review of the Singxer SU-1, I guess by (don't hold me to it) the Japanese JPLAY distributor mentions it.

Others: USB isolator (to be announced soon as a new product in JCAT series) 

If you scroll to the bottom it's in english:
http://www.jplay.info/#!blank-2/fbb2v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back