XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 24, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #632 of 3,865
Well i admit my mistake about the 50ps jitter thing, but everywhere i look they mention 50ps for those most commonly used spdif recievers like wm8805/dir9001 says intrinsic period jitter of 50 ps RMS, even the cirrus datasheet mentions it.

https://www.cirrus.com/en/mobile/products/pro/detail/P1262.html

sorry if it came across that way, i didn't really mean to spread misinformation.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #633 of 3,865
Well i admit my mistake about the 50ps jitter thing, but everywhere i look they mention 50ps for those most commonly used spdif recievers like wm8805/dir9001 says intrinsic period jitter of 50 ps RMS, even the cirrus datasheet mentions it.

sorry if it came across that way, i didn't really mean to spread misinformation.

Well you are correct regarding those older reciever chips - but a new class of chips are available.  Also interesting is the new class of electo-optical transformers capable of 192k - as the older where limited to 96k.

In fact DIYinHK just released this http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/83-192k-optical-spdif-receiver.html

Of course their are FPGA and discrete SPDIF receivers available - both coax and optical.

That is what Chord implemented in DAVE - with 192k optical and 384k BNC coax.

Actually Chord has been doing ultra low jitter - ultra high throughput on SPDIF for some time - specs from the Hugo TT DAC - this was using the older FPGA Spartan implementation:

Inputs​
- 1x Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192KHz-capable​
- 1x BNC coaxial input 32-bit/384kHz -capable​
- 1x HD/SD USB B-type input up to 32-bit/384kHz​

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #634 of 3,865
Do you know the product name of thos new spdif chips?

Hmm so i guessed right that the chord was doing spdif via fpga.

Now Im kinda itching to upgrade my dac again even if the schiit gumby sounds really good, im probably going to wait to 2017 for the new sabre dacs.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #635 of 3,865
Do you know the product name of thos new spdif chips?

Hmm so i guessed right that the chord was doing spdif via fpga.

Im kinda itching to upgrade my dac again even if the schiit gumby sounds really good, im probably going to wait to 2017 for the new sabre dacs.

I believe also implemented a ultra low jitter FPGA SPDIF solution in the Yggie.  I posted the datasheet link to the Onsemi in my link above - not saying it could work with your DAC.  I would suggest an easier route - plug and play  -the W4S Remedy.  This also reclocks using Crytek CCHD 975 clocks - it may not lower the technical jitter readings of your DAC, but will get the real world levels as low as possible.

I used a VIABLUE connector on my Lite DAC60 - the sound improvement was excellent.  I have it powered by a 9VDC 1uv iPower

Funny the Recovery had little effect on my APL DAC which has a discrete SPDIF receiver with ultra low jitter.  But on the Lite DAC60 using the excellent sounding, but slightly high jitter Crystal CS8414 receiver, the results where outstanding.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/wyred/2.html

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #637 of 3,865
My F-1 is supposed to ship within a day or two, and I'm investigating how to use I2S with my Audio-GD Master 11. I spoke with Kingwa since it seemed strange that the F-1 supports HDMI output and yet there's no differential signaling (such as MCLK+ and MCLK-). He said that it will not work with Audio-GD devices, and by extension it won't work with any devices uses the PS Audio I2S spec. However, it does sound like it can be used with RJ45 if the wires are mapped correctly. 

With that in mind, I'm planning to cut the end off one of my Bluejeanscable Cat6a cables and crimp the wires into a ribbon connector to hook up to the board. Now to find the appropriate connector on ebay, etc.

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #638 of 3,865

Well you are correct regarding those older reciever chips - but a new class of chips are available.  Also interesting is the new class of electo-optical transformers capable of 192k - as the older where limited to 96k.

In fact DIYinHK just released this http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/83-192k-optical-spdif-receiver.html

Of course their are FPGA and discrete SPDIF receivers available - both coax and optical.

That is what Chord implemented in DAVE - with 192k optical and 384k BNC coax.

Actually Chord has been doing ultra low jitter - ultra high throughput on SPDIF for some time - specs from the Hugo TT DAC - this was using the older FPGA Spartan implementation:

Inputs​
- 1x Optical TOSLink 24-bit/192KHz-capable​
- 1x BNC coaxial input 32-bit/384kHz -capable​
- 1x HD/SD USB B-type input up to 32-bit/384kHz​

Toshiba made those 192kHz capable Toslink receivers and transmitters years ago but seized production. Nowadays it's a Thai manufacturer who produces 192kHz capable toslink receivers/transmitters at very low prices. Thought NEC had them too.

But, to say those are new, Toshiba had them 15 to 20 years ago...

Apr 25, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #639 of 3,865
  My F-1 is supposed to ship within a day or two, and I'm investigating how to use I2S with my Audio-GD Master 11. I spoke with Kingwa since it seemed strange that the F-1 supports HDMI output and yet there's no differential signaling (such as MCLK+ and MCLK-). He said that it will not work with Audio-GD devices, and by extension it won't work with any devices uses the PS Audio I2S spec. However, it does sound like it can be used with RJ45 if the wires are mapped correctly. 

With that in mind, I'm planning to cut the end off one of my Bluejeanscable Cat6a cables and crimp the wires into a ribbon connector to hook up to the board. Now to find the appropriate connector on ebay, etc.

Does your M11 have the headers inside for I2S? If so, why not install it internally? It's much easier to map pins on the internal headers than it is to screw around with external wiring.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #641 of 3,865
I rather like this blue box.  I have one on the way today.  I have a bunch of different sized standoffs and I think I can get the board mounted in there permanently with some work.

I used some small nylon standoffs, they worked great.

Originally this was just going to be a temporary case but I may leave it as is. It fits well, doesn't look bad and I like how the LEDs shine through.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #643 of 3,865

It looks like the new SU-1 will have jumpers to set-up for PS Audio i2s spec on hdmi.

Toshiba made those 192kHz capable Toslink receivers and transmitters years ago but seized production. Nowadays it's a Thai manufacturer who produces 192kHz capable toslink receivers/transmitters at very low prices. Thought NEC had them too.

But, to say those are new, Toshiba had them 15 to 20 years ago...

They likely have higher jitter rates anyway being those cheap electro-optical converters used (DIYinHK charges $4 for the board and all)- so not too interesting.  The Chord and Schiit FPGA solutions are better yet.  Nice if someone did an addon board to replace those old Crystal's and Wolfson's.

Does your M11 have the headers inside for I2S? If so, why not install it internally? It's much easier to map pins on the internal headers than it is to screw around with external wiring.

+1

I used some small nylon standoffs, they worked great.

Originally this was just going to be a temporary case but I may leave it as is. It fits well, doesn't look bad and I like how the LEDs shine through.

I agree the blue is very cool.  I found an aluminum case that the board slides into perfectly.  It's just a pain to drill or cut a large enough openning for the USB connector - so I just left one side off.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161414428256?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Apr 25, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #644 of 3,865
Anyway enopugh about the future and alternatives - anymore listening results with the F-1?

Had a long session last night - track by track, album by album just blowing me away.  On James Taylor's 1970 'Sweet Baby James' just stunned at what the F-1 has done for this 46 yr old recording!  Typically this album can sound muffled and compressed - to the point of being boring (that and having listened to it a few thousand times) - last night it was like hearing it for the first time.

Russ Kunkel's drums on 'Fire and Rain' the deepest and best tone I have ever heard, his brush work realistic.  Taylor's voice crisp with an inner lit quality - hanging precisely in the middle of the sound field - life sized.  Dynamics excellent - guitar strumming also crisp with just the right attack and decay.  Carol King's background piano rich in tone and timbre. Bobby West on the uprgith double bass - rich and sonorous, resonating with natural tone.

If the F-1 can transform this 46 yr old recording into a high res like presentation - that is magic!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Apr 25, 2016 at 12:40 PM Post #645 of 3,865
Finally someone had the balls to start this thread right here

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/xmos-xu208-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-bridge-28366/

IMHO those replies would be predictable to say the least, and I've gotta confess that my own reaction should look pretty much like Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

lbvtYSb.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back