XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Apr 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #662 of 3,865

Does your M11 have the headers inside for I2S? If so, why not install it internally? It's much easier to map pins on the internal headers than it is to screw around with external wiring.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Yes it does have internal I2S headers - one on the RJ45 input and one on the USB input. I will look into installing it internally - hopefully there is enough room and I can get some grounding standoffs to fit the screw holes. Maybe I can swap it out with the existing Amanero board.

I don't think the internal header will fit the F-1 board. I will test it out, but as a backup I purchased these headers that I should be able to fit the wires into and crimp them without having to solder anything.

Quote:

I think the confusion is that people don't see the new XMOS chip for what it is.  It is a newer faster, better capable chip and it does it job better than the slower older chips from XMOS and other manufacturers.  Sort of like upgrading from an Intel coreDuo to an i5 or i7.  I am looking forward to other manufacturers (empirical audio, ci audio, audio gd) getting their hands on the new chips and pushing them to their limits much like we have seen with the older XMOS chips.  

I did not expect the new chip to be that much better, since it really shouldn't take that much processing power to do the USB-I2S conversion, especially when most music is released at 16/44.1. I thought the processing power was a solved issue, and it was up to refining the clocking to get the most out of these converters.

Apr 25, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #663 of 3,865
  New PS Audio LanRover - telling you Thunderbolt would solve this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUl9fJNyfbo

I just ordered this little guy to give a try - from wiki:

As Wikipedia reports, "network isolators are installed as part of a copper Ethernet system as galvanic
isolators. Network data continues to be transmitted across an electrically non-conducting barrier
through the applied principle of electromagnetic induction whereby high-frequency AC voltages
conveying data are induced across an isolating gap. The network isolator is therefore a passive device
and functions without any requirement of an external power supply."
2.png

So routinely the case, industries others than audio are well ahead on this, in this instance for specific safety not sound reasons: "Network isolators are used by the medical industry to protect patients against leakage currents. Network connections between medical devices and Ethernet networks (and other non-medical devices such as personal computers) must be in accordance with IEC standard 60601-1,3rd edition. This specifically deals with medical electronic and electrical equipment and systems. It classifies non-medical devices as potential hazard sources. A specific hazard stems from possible differences in ground potentials between network components, which when not properly isolated can result in a leakage current that can flow through the patient. That is dangerous and potentially lethal. Such voltage differences can also arise through incorrect installation and wiring of network systems, electrical shorting within damaged cables and cabling or shorting between damaged network cables and other voltage sources. Network isolators work to remove this hazard by electrically disconnecting medical devices from a network. Isolators may be used as network accessories, built
into medical devices or installed within a medical network system. Networks isolators should be installed as close as possible to the medical device in question."

http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Extender-Adapter-Repeater-Booster/dp/B00CCWZIZG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

USB 2.0 to UPT Cats5 Cat5e Cats6 Rj45 Lan Ethernet Extender Adapter Repeater Booster

Now I just found this little fellow on Ebay for $50

Baaske Medical Ethernet Network Isolator​

http://industrialcomponent.com/baaske/mi1005.html

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #664 of 3,865

I concur.  F-1 would seem to be a dream match for the Audio GD Master 7, NOS 7 or SA-2 and probably MHDT dacs.  A buddy of mine has the SA-2 I may ask him if he wants to switch dacs for a week.  I wish I still had a Master 7 so I could try it.  The F-1 is great with the Yggy and would probably take the Gungnir multi-bit to levels unheard.

tommorow i will test f1 with my new audio gd nos 7. lets' see what improvement f1 can deliver to 8 pcm1704 monster dac

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #665 of 3,865
  I just ordered this little guy to give a try - from wiki:

http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Extender-Adapter-Repeater-Booster/dp/B00CCWZIZG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

USB 2.0 to UPT Cats5 Cat5e Cats6 Rj45 Lan Ethernet Extender Adapter Repeater Booster

Now I just found this little fellow on Ebay for $50

Baaske Medical Ethernet Network Isolator​

http://industrialcomponent.com/baaske/mi1005.html

Hi !
and if you have some cash left why not also this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-noise-USB-Isolator-short-circuit-protection-ADUM4160-Hifi-JTAG-isolation-/111942885146?hash=item1a1050df1a:g:3AUAAOSwPgxVL63g

i have seen the same chip used in the Berkely Audio Usb Alpha DDC.  So it must be good ncessarily
L3000.gif

Of course implementation is another thing. 
rolleyes.gif

I am using it and it seems to work ok but only for 16/48.  I do not have higher rez format files to try.
Regards,  gino 
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #666 of 3,865
fyi, that adum 4160 is already very old device.
there is a new adum chipset that used inside aune s16. which is adum 3441 digital isolated.
but there is only found inside aune s16.

adum 3441 support high sample up to 384khz
in my aune s16 test with f1. f1 still beat the usb inside aunes16 head to head in all aspect

ADUM3441

Four-channel, high-speed digital isolators
Your current location: Home > Product Selection Table > ADUM3441
product description
ADuM344x is using ADI's technology i Coupler® quad-channel digital isolators, supports up to 150 Mbps data rate. These isolation components high-speed CMOS air core transformer technology and single-chip, superior to alternatives such as optocoupler devices provide outstanding performance characteristics.
i Coupler device without LED and photodiode, and thus there is no commonly associated with optocouplers design difficulties. Simple i Coupler digital interfaces and stable performance characteristics, can eliminate the typical optocoupler uncertain current transfer ratios, nonlinear transfer functions, and temperature and lifetime effects. These i Coupler product does not require external drivers and other discrete components.
In addition, in the case of comparable signal data rates, i Coupler devices the power of optocouplers 1/10 to 1/6.
ADuM344x isolators provide four independent isolation channels in a variety of channel configurations (see "Order Guide"). ADuM344x 3.0 V to 5.5 V supply voltage, providing compatibility with lower voltage systems, and is capable of enabling voltage translation functionality across the isolation barrier. In addition, ADuM344x between having low pulse width distortion and tight channel matching characteristics. Unlike other optocoupler, ADuM344x isolators have a patented refresh feature that ensures power and on / off dc correctness in the off condition when the input logic conversion is not exist.
application
  1. High-speed multichannel isolation
  2. SPI interface / data converter isolation
  3. Instruments

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #667 of 3,865
fyi, that adum 4160 is already very old device.

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very valuable advice.
I should have said that i am not very much in high rez.  Practically my whole music collection is on cds.
I was very trivially thinking ... if it is good for a very high end DDC is more than enough for me, as a chip.
The Berkeley Audio DDC was a world reference DDC some years ago (2012).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/437-berkeley-audio-design-alpha-usb-review/

Maybe it is still very capable ?

however i read here       http://files.computeraudiophile.com/2012/0303/Alpha_USB_Preliminary_Data_Sheet.pdf

"  Sampling rates up to 192 kHz and word lengths up to 24 bit are supported "

I wonder how important is the implementation.

there is a new adum chipset that used inside aune s16. which is adum 3441 digital isolated.
but there is only found inside aune s16.
adum 3441 support high sample up to 384khz
in my aune s16 test with f1.   
f1 still beat the usb inside aunes16 head to head in all aspect

This is very interesting and suggests that the DDC inside the s16 is inferior to the f1.  Good to know.
I guess also that the f1 provides already some sort of isolation on board.
So an added isolator maybe is even detrimental for sound.
Also the isolator is just that ... an isolator.  A DDC, like the f1 for example, is still needed after it.

I use it mainly because provide a very handy injection point for an external power supply 
rolleyes.gif

I do not like this attitude to sell double head usb cables that cost like a very nice dac.  This is silly to me.
Between a special usb cable and an Higgy i would pick the dac always.
I would just need a usb to usb adapter with a dc socket on it ... just that.
But i understand there is no interest for the product.  Fine.
If i were the seller i would push it more
wink.gif

Have a nice day
Regards,  gino 
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #668 of 3,865
double head usb cable is not expensive if you diy yourself
just using canare cable and do some soldering it's quite easy.., the expensive part is the linear power supply

if you want any cheap option without diy or use any dual head usb cable try this one. iam using one of these and cheap of course

Elfidelity magic sound engineers

USB- power source Ⅲ  the USB 3 the Power Supply's   (AXF-100 Ultra)

it cost $22 at taobao

you can choose how to power your usb card

1. using power from sata cable in your psu unit inside your pc if you have good low ripple psu
2. or using the eksternal switching adaptor for power
3. or using more expensive 5volt linear psu

iam using option number 3 plus ifi micro iusb 3 combo
but using just these $22 usb alone is far better already compare to built in motherboard usb

Apr 26, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #669 of 3,865
double head usb cable is not expensive if you diy yourself
just using canare cable and do some soldering it's quite easy.., the expensive part is the linear power supply
f you want any cheap option without diy or use any dual head usb cable try this one. iam using one of these and cheap of course

Elfidelity magic sound engineers

USB- power source Ⅲ  the USB 3 the Power Supply's   (AXF-100 Ultra)

it cost $22 at taobao

you can choose how to power your usb card

1. using power from sata cable in your psu unit inside your pc if you have good low ripple psu
2. or using the eksternal switching adaptor for power
3. or using more expensive 5volt linear psu

iam using option number 3 plus ifi micro iusb 3 combo
but using just these $22 usb alone is far better already compare to built in motherboard usb

Hi and thanks and very interesting but a little tricky maybe ?
but very nice i will study the option.
If i understand well it is a sata to usb 3.0 converter ?
I will study it.
As i said i was looking in the end for a solution to inject clean 5VDC.
That board was the easiest way i found without need of DIY (i am quite a dog with the soldering iron).
Thanks a lot again.
Regards,  gino

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #670 of 3,865

Hi and thanks and very interesting but a little tricky maybe ?
but very nice i will study the option.
If i understand well it is a sata to usb 3.0 converter ?
I will study it.
As i said i was looking in the end for a solution to inject clean 5VDC.
That board was the easiest way i found without need of DIY (i am quite a dog with the soldering iron).
Thanks a lot again.
Regards,  gino

this is just a ordinary pci express usb card with audiophile component
it is not sata to usb converter
that sata cable is use if you want to inject the 5volt power from your pc power supply, but i advice you not use that sata power option , instead, use that eksternal adaptor power or linear power supply.
so this is the most cheapest and simple solution, you can choose what kind of power you want to inject to that usb card. you want to use your power supply power then use sata , ekternal power adaptor then dont use that sata.

this solution can give your dac a good clean power supply depend on what kind of power you use

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #671 of 3,865
Originally Posted by hugoboss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is just a ordinary pci express usb card with audiophile component ....  it is not sata to usb converter
that sata cable is use if you want to inject the 5volt power from your pc power supply, but i advice you not use that sata power option , instead, use that eksternal adaptor power or linear power supply.
so this is the most cheapest and simple solution, you can choose what kind of power you want to inject to that usb card.
you want to use your power supply power then use sata , ekternal power adaptor then dont use that sata

Sorry i am a little slow at understanding
frown.gif
   if i insert the card in the pcie slot than the card will use the pci bus power.
In order to isolate it from the bus power and use instead the external power supply is there a switch on the card ?  
if not the card will be always polluted by the bus power noise.    Am i right ?
i wonder if there are english pages ... this Taobao site is extremely interesting
Thanks again,  gino 

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #672 of 3,865
  Anyway enopugh about the future and alternatives - anymore listening results with the F-1?

Had a long session last night - track by track, album by album just blowing me away.  On James Taylor's 1970 'Sweet Baby James' just stunned at what the F-1 has done for this 46 yr old recording!  Typically this album can sound muffled and compressed - to the point of being boring (that and having listened to it a few thousand times) - last night it was like hearing it for the first time.

Russ Kunkel's drums on 'Fire and Rain' the deepest and best tone I have ever heard, his brush work realistic.  Taylor's voice crisp with an inner lit quality - hanging precisely in the middle of the sound field - life sized.  Dynamics excellent - guitar strumming also crisp with just the right attack and decay.  Carol King's background piano rich in tone and timbre. Bobby West on the uprgith double bass - rich and sonorous, resonating with natural tone.

If the F-1 can transform this 46 yr old recording into a high res like presentation - that is magic!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

About 60-70 hours playing with my F1.
Last day´s havent really care to play at loud volumes but do it right now before wife comes home...the walls are shaking :)

The SQ is far beyond I would imagine my small system could deliver.
No comparison today just enjoying the music.
Gorgeus bass and I think the F1 is sounding a bit more detailed now compared to when it was new.
I will play another week or so at moderate volumes before I will do a head to head comparison to an old DVD.

I like what I hear and interesting to hear if it will improve more.

Off topic, have a friend who say digital music is just crap so I went to his place with my laptop, a 50 dollar dac board and my Baby Breeze.
He looked a bit funny when my cheap dac and ddc converter matched his CD player 
jecklinsmile.gif

Both connected to his decent amp and speakers.
That cheap ddc and Baby Breeze sounds like **** compared to my mainsystem with F1 in chain.
Have invited him to my house to listen to my small system with F1 in chain but let´s see if he comes.
Prettty sure he will be impressed but maybe not admit it :)

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #673 of 3,865
it's not using any power from pci express slot. it just used the pci slot to hold that card
see this picture iam upload now

see the black circle i draw in 2nd picture, it's not using any pin or any power at all in pci express slot, it just to hold that card nicely in your motherboard
see the white cirlcle it act like a usb port using your existing usb header in your motherboard
the power is from either your pc power supply or eksternal adaptor or linear psu . you choose your own option in power

this is the link. use chrome browser and translate to english

https://world.taobao.com/item/40228265855.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4004-8332120890.8.HgrSu2

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #674 of 3,865
your link is the first or second generation of this card. mine is the newest third generation. the different is you can choose better option to power that usb card

there are may option beside that usb card to clean your pc power. i think rb2013 know these things too he used some of this , maybe he will join our chat soon hahaha, here is some other device to clean power from pc power supply

memory filter

fan filter

power supply cleaner

hdisk / ssd sata filter

all are damn cheap

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #675 of 3,865
  your link is the first or second generation of this card. mine is the newest third generation. the different is you can choose better option to power that usb card

there are may option beside that usb card to clean your pc power. i think rb2013 know these things too he used some of this , maybe he will join our chat soon hahaha, here is some other device to clean power from pc power supply

memory filter

fan filter

power supply cleaner

hdisk / ssd sata filter

all are damn cheap

see the white cirlcle it act like a usb port using your existing usb header in your motherboard
the power is from either your pc power supply or eksternal adaptor or linear psu .
you choose your own option in power 

Just to sum up.   In the usb header there is also the +5VDC power.
in order to select power from the header/motherboard or from external psu there must be a switch.
Or i have to cut the wires in the cable connecting card and motherboard ?
Of course no problem to do this. But i have to cut something.
Thanks again,  gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back