XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 13, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #1,591 of 3,865

Hi !
I agree completely with the importance to go on with this very valuable thread.  The usb to spdif conversion is THE key topic in pc audio. 
However, may i ask what are you using now as PS for the Regen ?
Thanks a lot, gino

Well, the LPS I used for Regen is self-made one, nothing fancy about. Just that Rb posting about critical power transient and stability for source got us (me and my brother) thinking and try to improve it. But of course one day I am going to get a Paul hynes power supply or Regen uber power supply to compare to be sure. And I also cut one Regen away from the connection chain. 

May 13, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #1,592 of 3,865
   Well, the LPS I used for Regen is self-made one, nothing fancy about.
Just that Rb posting about critical power transient and stability for source got us (me and my brother) thinking and try to improve it.
But of course one day I am going to get a Paul hynes power supply or Regen uber power supply to compare to be sure.
And I also cut one Regen away from the connection chain.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very interesting reply.   In my mind the Regen is an almost perfect device.  It only does not provide galvanic isolation from what i understand,
The new model should do that.  Then it could very well be the one for all device.
Kind regards,  gino

May 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #1,594 of 3,865
  I think the TV show thing is ridiculous, but I don't feel the need to address it in this thread or get in fights with people. I find it bizarre that this is the second DDC thread in a couple months that you've burnt to the ground after getting pissed at certain people and fighting them.

Well thanks for that!  Finally an agreement.  No need to close the thread - just because I'm not here.  I got the ball rolling - now you'll can keep it going.  Am I sooo important that this thread can't exist without me?  Not at all!  The other DDC Gustard thread had hit a deadend - I left it - but it was the moderator who decided to close it.  I never requested that.  @abartels opened his and with in a few pages became a Raspberry Pi thread.  The XMOS DDC thing had become stale - until the XU208 arrived.

Maybe I'm being petty - too myopic.  I have put up with being called a 'Hype' by Prot and some others (read what he says about me on Alex's DDC thread!  Really abusive), with Alex seeming to concur - at least not contradict him.  But that's just prot - so I take it as just him (he was banned from CA after all and even has a thread there named after him - quiet the honor - NOT).

Here is how my TV dialogue friend started:
post #1070 of 1593

5/1/16 at 7:44pm

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/37/100x100px-LS-3744bdf3_avatar-120-10.jpg[/img]
  1. onlythat
  2. badge_headfier.v4215856669.png
  4. offline
  1. 35 Posts. Joined 4/2007

Yup. For the uninitiated and the tragically unhip, that's a PUC 2 Lite on the down low and an F-1 riding it bareback.

Ohhhhhhhh -- Child! IT'S ON like Donkey Kong up in here!!!!

rb- your reputation has all come down to.....

this:)

I thought well OK - this guy must be a real audio guy and is calling my reputation out on his verdict...let's see?  Did I get into his grill over it - no.
I did warn him to place some mylar under the F-1 while laying it on top of the PUC2 metal case - when powered up.  As there are exposed contacts on the bottom - that was the first sign he really didn't know what he was doing - but yet has the temerity to claim he is the arbiter of MY reputation.  But still I tried to help the guy.

Then goes off on new popular music and music with drums and bass - music without 'nuance' or something like that is - just 'produced' whatever that means.  OK That's a bit offensive - but fine I guess - but I can tell he's not what I expected.  And certainly has no creed to judge on my reputation.

Then the coupe de grace - the infamous TV dialogue review - non-review.  His non-review even nuancing the F-1 as solid state sounding (Krell like), and the PUC2 Lite tubeish (AR like).  Well fine if that's his judgement then OK - but he made it WITHOUT music!  How can you possibly judge this level of nuance by  watching 'Silicon Valley' on HBO (great show by the way).  At least 'Game of Thrones' has music in the background.  If it was some kind of live music, like KEXP, or PBS, or the ARTS channels have - fine.  Still hard to nuance with a high voltage flat screen in the mix - mine makes a low level buzzing (esp when the screen goes from black to white).

Then calls my reputation suspect based on this!  Absurd.

I call him out on it - and I get chastised - he gets defended here!

My thinking is a curated thread on CA would be the solution - not my prefered route - but better then this BS.  Honest, well thought out opinions and reviews will be kept (even ones that disagree with me) - the silly and abusive stuff tossed.

Problem solved.  I'll take a week off and see.  This really is time consuming and I have some major work projects coming up, that'll put the audio stuff on the back burner.

Meanwhile - everyone should continue having fun posting here.

May 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,596 of 3,865
Another possible forum is the tirnahifi where sgbk aka gordon has his mqn thread. Very tolerant group who are on the frontier when it comes to audio mods etc.

Good thought  - I have been active on Audiogon in the distant past, but that has just died off.  AA- of course - better wear your flame suit - very narrow group. 

As far as I can tell CA is the only one with the ability to open a curated thread.  Of course look at what happened to RE Shaman on his Recovery curated thread - man that got ugly!  He was a toasted crisp when they were done.  He went into witness protection - hiding out in Argentina.  When he deleted these silly posts  - the poster would go on all these other threads and flame him.

Chris had to shut it anyway.
I love his quote - paraphrasing like calm down folks 'We're not saving babies, or killing puppies here'

Anyway this is a great thread - so carry on folks - still lot's of great information and opinions to share.

May 13, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #1,597 of 3,865
@rb2013 remember that for every person who posts in this thread, there are like 10-50 people (maybe more) who are reading it and very grateful for the information you're providing. Like Alex said, many people feel like they can't contribute because they just don't have the budget like you do. Personally, I owned a Gustard, and you got me turned onto the Breeze. I'll probably limit myself to one new DDC per year, but will hopefully make small improvement to the chain as a whole (Regen/LAN/Intona/etc). Your attempts to characterize quantitatively how much improvement each piece of the chain adds is incredibly valuable. It doesn't matter if critics say you're blowing things out of proportion—the rest of us need only hear two DDCs that you've ranked before we can get a sense of your relative rankings (assuming you're using a linear scale, which it seems you are).

May 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #1,599 of 3,865
  @rb2013 remember that for every person who posts in this thread, there are like 10-50 people (maybe more) who are reading it and very grateful for the information you're providing. Like Alex said, many people feel like they can't contribute because they just don't have the budget like you do. Personally, I owned a Gustard, and you got me turned onto the Breeze. I'll probably limit myself to one new DDC per year, but will hopefully make small improvement to the chain as a whole (Regen/LAN/Intona/etc). Your attempts to characterize quantitatively how much improvement each piece of the chain adds is incredibly valuable. It doesn't matter if critics say you're blowing things out of proportion—the rest of us need only hear two DDCs that you've ranked before we can get a sense of your relative rankings (assuming you're using a linear scale, which it seems you are).

Add me to this list.   I have been following rb2013 since the Gustard days. Audiophilleo to   U10,  U12,  Melodious also thru 2 iterations and now the F1.    I have enjoyed the trip and cant wait for what is next!

Have also been watching the Mutec USB but its hard for me to pull the trigger when these dont stay in my system very long.

RB your efforts are MUCH apprecited!!!!!

May 13, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #1,600 of 3,865
According to the eBay seller he has had a spike in demand for F-1 and there is currently a 1-2 week lead time before any new orders will ship...

I bought mine on the 6th and have a tracking number, although I can not find anyplace that it actually tracks. I hope it has actually shipped.

When I receive it I am planning to start off by doing a shoot out with my Audiophilleo in the same environment, and then changing up power and connections to see where that goes. 

May 13, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #1,602 of 3,865

@rb2013
 remember that for every person who posts in this thread, there are like 10-50 people (maybe more) who are reading it and very grateful for the information you're providing...

According to the eBay seller he has had a spike in demand for F-1 and there is currently a 1-2 week lead time before any new orders will ship...

Far more people are reading these threads than posting in them. 

Just to remind people: The trouble starts when people begin posting about each other, instead of about products. 
smile.gif

May 13, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #1,604 of 3,865
RB2013, please continue this amazing thread.

you should ignore any negative comment. there are so many that do not participate in this thread but read your every move! please dont leave for a couple of negative comments.

May 14, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #1,605 of 3,865

I bought mine on the 6th and have a tracking number, although I can not find anyplace that it actually tracks. I hope it has actually shipped.

When I receive it I am planning to start off by doing a shoot out with my Audiophilleo in the same environment, and then changing up power and connections to see where that goes. 

Same issue for me, Xmos supposed to be shipped 1 week ago and still can't track it. I wonder if they did shipped it actually

Users who are viewing this thread

Back