XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 12, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,576 of 3,865
  Lol. So at this point how many posters actually have an F-1 at this point? A hundred pages and I think only what six owners?

RB, I have to admit, I have been trying to play catch up on all these spdif converters and so far it really does seem like you're one of the very few aggressively making the case for these products. Before this thread all I'd been reading about was usb stuff: regens, decrapifiers, ipurifiers, on and on. I was under the impression from all the coverage and reviews that that was the new frontier. Very little talk about spdif converters, so I didn't even bother looking until I came across this thread. Even the PUC2 has only one real 'audiophile' review and it looks you were the inspiration for that one. So there's a parallel development happening with these converters and it's being ignored. I have a feeling that's about to change...

Well good point - these low cost Chinese companies, like Breeze Audio and Singxer are not big advertisers,  And there is a huge language barrier - most don't even have a website.  I credit the HiFiDunio website on turning me on to the Musiland 3.0 USB - that began to open my eyes.  I was an early poster there.

https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/musiland-usb/

This is underground audio - unlike the $5K ads in Absolute Sound - you have to work hard to find and buy.  I loved reading Harry Pearson in the early days, when The Absolute Sound took no advertising.

HP was notorious for finding and reviewing low cost undiscovered jems.  It built TAS reputation - now a corp money machine -piece of ...

Bless these brilliant Chinese folks who design and build this stuff at super low cost.

I have to say I heard an Empirical OffRamp5 with turbo clocks and it was excellent.  And soon to have a Mutec mc-3+ smart clock usb, this is serious gear.  I do not expect the F-1 to match this $1000 box with the GB LAN USB in the chain.  But how about a dollar for dollar face-off?

As I posted to my TV Dialogue reviewer friend  - how about a dollar for dollar match up? The $483 PUC Lite and a F-1 with a Recovery and iPur2?

I mean isn't that as real world as it gets - for the same hard earned audio buck what SQ can you get?

Well we'll see.  And I have a DIYinHK DXIO Pro4a coming - with a XU216!  Now that'll be interesting.  This is not over yet.

I always wished for an early days The Absolute Sound - no advertising - sub only - no reviewer loaners. Everything bought.  Well that's what I try to do here - no financial ties or conflicts (notice how some manfacturers who post here always find critisms for others products - but the ones they make (two) or are associated with are stellar!  Well you have to pay the mortgage I guess).

May 12, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #1,577 of 3,865
  record of selling at the chinese taobao online store
su-1 = 7pcs
f-1 = 30pcs
q-1 = 2pcs
x-1 = 3pcs
xmos procesor xu208 (in 50pcs quantity) = 4set
xmos procesor xu208 (in 20pcs quantity) = 4set

look at the xmos xu 208 procesor sold in just one month so fast
now only two brand use xu -208 in their product singxer and melodius only. soon there will be more brand coming
the xu 208 bomb will be huge

Nice!   I only started this thread what like a two months ago - the word will spread.   Singxer needs to just sell them with a $9 case - the sales would double.  For many folks it's DIY

PS That does not count the F-1's Shenzen has sold on Ebay - I bet another 50-60.

May 12, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,578 of 3,865

What do you mean SPDIF was not designed for audio? It is literally designed as a digital audio interface. If they hadn't chosen to mix the clock and data together there wouldn't need to be so much effort to make it sound good.

I read somewhere that the original protocol came from efforts to digitally transmit video audio - that was then adapted to 2 channel audio and released by Sony and Philips as an audio std - S/PDIF Sony-Philips-Digital-Interface-Format.  Funny the word 'Audio' was never used.  I guess it should be called S/PADIF.
Regardless it's been and will the std for digital audio for the near future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S/PDIF

Applications[edit]

A common use for the S/PDIF interface is to carry compressed digital audio for surround sound as defined by the standard IEC 61937This mode is used to connect the output of a DVD player or computer, via optical or coax, to a home-theatre amplifying receiver that supports Dolby Digital or DTS. Another common use is to carry two channels of uncompressed digital audio from a CD player to an amplifying receiver.

Notice the secondary use to carry two channels of uncompressed digital audio from a CD player...

May 13, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #1,579 of 3,865
Ok thinking about this some more  The fact this TV dialogue reviewing fellow has challenged me from the start. 

And the utter ridiculousness of his proposition of using TV dialogue to discern top audio gear and that ridiculousness.

And many who have come to his defense  - and none who have agree at this ludicrous proposition.

I have to think 'do I have the wrong audience?' Maybe I am wasting my time.

I have to say yes to both  - so I will just end my posting here now.

At least in this venue - maybe a curated thread on CA.

See you all down the road...

May 13, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #1,580 of 3,865
?

I can only speak for myself.
I´m not a Hi-Fi guy really but really enjoyed this thread and taking baby steps in understanding Hi-Fi gear.
Love listen to music after I upgraded my setup from using USB input on my amp/DAC.
The F1 takes my listening to a new level.
Cannot really discuss more than my ears tell me because all technical stuff sometimes confuses me.

I don´t use TV shows when comparing though...even if my rig is a mediarig that play´s everything TV shows included.
To be honest I think you overreact on that "TV dialogue" thing, nothing to be upset at?
That was not a "review" but a quick reflection from the guy as I understand it.
Tidal Hi-Fi streaming some good mastering from Boris Blank is what I most use when comparing.

I bet I am one on this forum with least knowledge of Hi-Fi and I am sorry If you feel your time here is wasted.
For me it´s been very interesting following this thread and by taking small steps I slowly learn.

Thanks.

May 13, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #1,581 of 3,865

I think the TV show thing is ridiculous, but I don't feel the need to address it in this thread or get in fights with people. I find it bizarre that this is the second DDC thread in a couple months that you've burnt to the ground after getting pissed at certain people and fighting them.

May 13, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #1,582 of 3,865
   Ok thinking about this some more  The fact this TV dialogue reviewing fellow has challenged me from the start.
And the utter ridiculousness of his proposition of using TV dialogue to discern top audio gear and that ridiculousness.
And many who have come to his defense  - and none who have agree at this ludicrous proposition.

Hi !
just to say that i am really sorry if you stop your very valuable contribution here
I have learned so many things from your adivce and i am sincerely thankful indeed.
I am also very sorry that for some people it is so difficult to stay on topic
I would much prefer if these people had the kindness to expose their opinions in separate threads focusing the subject they care about.
This is more than stealing a thread ... this is lack of respect for the Topic starter, especially when he/her puts so much passion in it. 
I am really sorry to see very interesting discussions derailing.
I ask you please to refrain from your sad decision and go on with your research and experimenting of such key devices for pc audio.
I feel your disappointment but do not let them overcome.
Thanks a lot again.
Kind regards, gino 

May 13, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,583 of 3,865

You'll unlikely do much better on CA, there are some proper odd balls over there, these days no thread seems to stay on topic or positive for long, that's why I looked over here and found this masterpiece.

In respect of using TV programmes to evaluate Hi-Fi gear, did that even need commenting on? I just ignored it... music is what you use, be it 1 track or 100.

:wink:

I'll be looking out for ya regardless.

beerchug.gif

May 13, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #1,584 of 3,865
Oh, please. This thread is too important to close it because of small difference of opinions. Rb your effort is much appreciated and please keep up the good work. Previously I said my F-1 lost out little bit to $20k cd player. I have since then found out the root cause and the solution is to further enhance the LPS connected to the Regen which provides direct power to F-1. So now I would say I will favor F-1 a bit more compared to the cd player in terms of soundstage size, transparency and smoother extension of micro details. So this thread is a stepping stone for me to enhance my hifi system to higher level. :)

May 13, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,585 of 3,865

Hi !
just to say that i am really sorry if you stop your very valuable contribution here
I have learned so many things from your adivce and i am sincerely thankful indeed.
I am also very sorry that for some people it is so difficult to stay on topic
I would much prefer if these people had the kindness to expose their opinions in separate threads focusing the subject they care about.
This is more than stealing a thread ... this is lack of respect for the Topic starter, especially when he/her puts so much passion in it. 
I am really sorry to see very interesting discussions derailing.
I ask you please to refrain from your sad decision and go on with your research and experimenting of such key devices for pc audio.
I feel your disappointment but do not let them overcome.
Thanks a lot again.
Kind regards, gino 

I feel kind of guilty not keeping my posts ON topic, I realized as I read this post.
Just thought that info could be very useful to many of us and wanted to share.
Even in my own thread I'm not always ON topic.

My bad....

Come on Bob, looking at all the info you, and others, published in this thread, very useful information, it's huge! Some posts are more interesting than others,
but we have to look at it in a broader way. 90% (or even more) of the posts are useful and interesting, some of them aren't, so be it, that's how this kind of thread work.

I can imagine you would love to see more people buying the stuff you investigated on, F1, USB extenders, just to see how they compare it with other stuff and read their reviews.
This way the thread would look very different, and probably more interesting, but that's not the reality. Reality is that many of us don't have that kind of funds to spend, at least,
not at the speed you spend it. Don't forget that a lot of thread followers are a little afraid of buying one of those devices and have at their minds that next week, or tomorrow,
maybe there's another contender, a better device launched in this thread. Not all of us are familiar with buying and selling goods across the internet..... And, lots of thread followers
can't buy new devices before selling "the old" ones first. That's a fact.

Keeping this in mind you should know that your work DOES help A LOT thread followers who aren't in the (financial?) position to compare and investigate themselves!

I would say, keep up the good work, have a good drink and keep on doing what you're doing best, exploring, investigating, comparing  and sharing!

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Btw, I'm at work, NO drinks for me 
tongue_smile.gif

May 13, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #1,586 of 3,865
...   Previously I said my F-1 lost out little bit to $20k cd player.
I have since then found out the root cause and the solution is to further enhance the LPS connected to the Regen which provides direct power to F-1  ... 

Hi !
I agree completely with the importance to go on with this very valuable thread.  The usb to spdif conversion is THE key topic in pc audio. 
However, may i ask what are you using now as PS for the Regen ?
Thanks a lot, gino

May 13, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,587 of 3,865
...  SPDIF coax is on every major high end DAC and will be for the foreseeable future.  And it sounds freaking awesome  - get over that as well....

Hi !  i have still a dream .. to live in a BNC world.
I do not know why but i have a better feeling with BNC connection RCA for digital signals.
The fact that is so rare also on TOTL units always puzzles me.  
Structurally this connector concept is good in different executions up to 12 Gbit/s.  That's a lot.
Thanks again,  gino

May 13, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #1,588 of 3,865
A thread with a 100 pages in it is "bound to wonder", have disagreements and the few headbutts there.
It's just how there handled an flow that really matters in the grand scheme of things, it's life on the web.

Maybe the thread has just run it's course? , but to me there was still valuable information being passed.
(in the end off kilter stuff is just that, seen through an past over, don't let it stir the dander up to bad)

I myself RB would ask that you stay and continue along your ways here, 
You start threads that get people talking, thinking and collectively sharing, (yep with speed-bumps even)

May 13, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #1,589 of 3,865

dont end your post in this thread,
for me you are the first tester , the most important informan in here, also i saw all your thread is like the most great information.
no one ever have so many ddc to test and share the result.
don't end just because someone not agree with your opinion.that's normal
just keep continue . i think so many member here have great upgrade with F-1 including me.

May 13, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #1,590 of 3,865

You'll unlikely do much better on CA, there are some proper odd balls over there, these days no thread seems to stay on topic or positive for long, that's why I looked over here and found this masterpiece.

+1

CA is great but has lately become a very contentious place. There are several folks there who continuously derail and polarize threads. Too much thinking and not enough listening!

Please keep this thread alive. Maybe just take a few days off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back