XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
May 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #1,561 of 3,864
Originally Posted by rb2013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are my rankings and ratings and I'm sticking to them:
Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - like when you see charts with 1990 dollars - or what ever reference point is chosen - they are not percentages).  The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Here would be my current ranking and ratings obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned all these for an extended period of time:

Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2  170
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen               135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious                     130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2   125
PUC2 Lite - USB power                                         110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen                  109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene                     108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version)                             100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version)                                95
Hydra Z with LPS                                                  92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps)                           85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock)                                        81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps)                                  76
Gustard U12 stock                                                 72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC)                                    65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon                                    65
M2Tech EVO with LPS                                             60
Audiophileo 2  USB Power                                       50
M2Tech Hiface                                                       40

Thanks for this. It is a big help. You have definitely taken one for the Team!

I wonder if you could also consider adding approximate dollar amounts for each stack? I t would help some of us figure our "bang for the buck" compared to absolute audio value. By the time you have added some of those better cables and USB enhancers the total must be a multiple of the stock F-1.

I would also be interested in seeing how the F-1 rated when just using USB power and vanilla cables, whatever cables you used to give the Breeze the benchmark 100.  And perhaps the F-1 with Regen powered by LPS. More data points for those of us on a budget!

Thanks!

May 12, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #1,562 of 3,864

Thanks for this. It is a big help. You have definitely taken one for the Team!

I wonder if you could also consider adding approximate dollar amounts for each stack? I t would help some of us figure our "bang for the buck" compared to absolute audio value. By the time you have added some of those better cables and USB enhancers the total must be a multiple of the stock F-1.

I would also be interested in seeing how the F-1 rated when just using USB power and vanilla cables, whatever cables you used to give the Breeze the benchmark 100.  And perhaps the F-1 with Regen powered by LPS. More data points for those of us on a budget!

Thanks!

Sure I'll update the original posts with the approx dollar figures - the finer rating on the myriad variations - I'll do as a separate post and thanks!

And my apologies to everyone.  I've been doing this for 25 yrs - I lose my patience sometimes.

PS I added the GB LAN USB to the F-1 ratings going from 170 to 190 (yes for me that big a jump)

May 12, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #1,563 of 3,864

Sure I'll update the original posts with the approx dollar figures - the finer rating on the myriad variations - I'll do as a separate post

These would both be extremely helpful. 

I realize that sometimes people butt heads on here, but it's important to keep the big picture in mind and I'm certainly grateful for all your efforts.

May 12, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,564 of 3,864

I realize that sometimes people butt heads on here, but it's important to keep the big picture in mind and I'm certainly grateful for all your efforts.

Yes I updated.

I would say the addition of the following added this point level: So you can look back and see say what the Hydra Z my score with the GB LAN, etc...Now this is very general as only a real listening would be precise.  Sometimes synergies - sometimes negatives (Regen had the biggest variation - the Breeze and F-1 loved it, the Hydra Z nuetral (if I remember correctly), the Pro3a hated it (too edgy with the Regen).

Keep in mind the PS on the AC units is fixed aside from the Cerious Graphene power chord - and see already the difference that made in my previous ratings:

GB LAN USB Startech     +20
W4S Recovery               +6 (add +2 if DC powered unit) The reason is the ability to utilize the on board ext DC powered low noise regulators to power the USB
Regen                          +5 (add +2 if DC powered unit - but note on some DDC's it hurt the sound  - on the Pro3a -2 overall. So very device specific)
iPurifer2                        +5
DC iPur                          +5
Curious 200mm Link        +2

Assuming a few constants - LH Labs 2G Split USB cable, PPA V2 PCie/USb card, AC line filtering and isolation

I hope that helps.

May 12, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #1,565 of 3,864
Same for me. With the audio-gd master-7, using i2s with pll off makes the ddc the master clock. Therefore, the sound is improved each time you improve your ddc and its connection.

can you post a pic how is your jumper setting in your master 7?
i want to know what is the jumper setting to use ddc clock as the master clock

Thanks for sharing!!

I'm 100% sure there are many Audio-GD Master 7 owners who aren't aware of the need of setting M7 as slave in order to take full advantage of better clocks in external DDC !!!

these post is interesting i own a new nos 7 audio gd almost like a master 7 but in better nos mode
do you guys mean ppl setting is in the Jumper1  PLLEN?
how about the atto setting  do you put jumper on or off?

do you mean that pllen jumper set to off (without putting jumper)
make master 7 use the clock from the ddc like f1, make the sound better?
i will try these and report asap

these are my jumper setting now

May 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,566 of 3,864
can you post a pic how is your jumper setting in your master 7?
i want to know what is the jumper setting to use ddc clock as the master clock

these post is interesting i own a new nos 7 audio gd almost like a master 7 but in better nos mode
do you guys mean ppl setting is in the Jumper1  PLLEN?
how about the atto setting  do you put jumper on or off?

do you mean that pllen jumper set to off (without putting jumper)
make master 7 use the clock from the ddc like f1, make the sound better?
i will try these and report asap

these are my jumper setting now

I can't take a picture, i am not home. But to disable the pll on a master 7, you have to put a jumper on the PLLEN pins. Probably the same on the nos7. Otherwise the pll will reclock the signal. As for the rest, i have the defaults: max oversampling, dithering on, etc..

May 12, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #1,567 of 3,864
@FredA

so my setting is correct then to put jumper on PLLEN, already use the f1 ddc as the master clock

if u have time please share your jumper setting . just curious about that
iam not aware about disable the master 7 clock for using ddc clock as the master clock, very good info
thanks

May 12, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,568 of 3,864
@FredA

so my setting is correct then to put jumper on PLLEN, already use the f1 ddc as the master clock

if u have time please share your jumper setting . just curious about that
iam not aware about disable the master 7 clock for using ddc clock as the master clock, very good info
thanks

Basically, you have to have an i2s connection and pll off. The rest does not matter. The dsp on the master-7 and nos7 is an in-phase processor. Having the pll off means it does not reclock. It takes the timing of the i2s signal as the reference.

May 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,569 of 3,864
Hey RB,
(not going to quote, I think we can figure it out)
bigsmile_face.gif

First trust me when I say I understand how a frustration level can get to the best of us, over many things on forums.
(been there done it many times, (no spring chicken here), whether my own posts or as moderator on another forum)

And being a builder/designer of tube amps I have certainly seen my share of naysayers screaming from there couches.
So I truly do get where your coming from. (I spend a lot of time evaluating builds and designs by listening an testing)

I also agree with you, evaluating a high end piece of audio from a very narrow sample without vocals and an tv source
is not what I would do or suggest, but if is someones normal listening criteria it will at least let them hear "differences".

And like you said he did actually get the thing and use it before posting anything about,
wink.gif

From an outsider on this forum I just ask if we can be a little more lenient and cordial when possible.
beerchug.gif

Again I'm with you, an wider range of music, and decent rez sources should be used to make "valuable" assessments.
Myself female vocals are a first test I use whether something can stay or not, obviously along with quality instruments.

I belong to a local audio group, about 300 members, it meets once a month at a members place.
When I first started going, or audio shows it shocked me sometimes how different people reacted to the same system.
(from the extreme of best they've heard to worst they've heard ON THE SAME SYSTEM, just wow sometimes there)

Now I take everything with a giant grain of salt, and a lot more tolerant on difference of opinion, on everything in life.
bigsmile_face.gif

-----------------

Trying to add something to the thread,
One of my main test albums is Tracy Chapman, (Crossroads) Her vocals cover a pretty wide range, good music to boot.
(Jacqui Naylor and Alison Krauss are 2 more of my favorite female vocals)

Cheers man,
Keg

May 12, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,570 of 3,864

Yes I updated.

I would say the addition of the following added this point level: So you can look back and see say what the Hydra Z my score with the GB LAN, etc...Now this is very general as only a real listening would be precise.  Sometimes synergies - sometimes negatives (Regen had the biggest variation - the Breeze and F-1 loved it, the Hydra Z nuetral (if I remember correctly), the Pro3a hated it (too edgy with the Regen).

Keep in mind the PS on the AC units is fixed aside from the Cerious Graphene power chord - and see already the difference that made in my previous ratings:

GB LAN USB Startech     +20
W4S Recovery               +6 (add +2 if DC powered unit) The reason is the ability to utilize the on board ext DC powered low noise regulators to power the USB
Regen                          +5 (add +2 if DC powered unit - but note on some DDC's it hurt the sound  - on the Pro3a -2 overall. So very device specific)
iPurifer2                        +5
DC iPur                          +5
Curious 200mm Link        +2

Assuming a few constants - LH Labs 2G Split USB cable, PPA V2 PCie/USb card, AC line filtering and isolation

I hope that helps.

This is good info, especially for me, as I'm still trying to figure my best bang for the buck power/tweaks as well.
(my main system has been tweaked and prodded, but this computer setup deal is pretty new to me)

Where might the Jitterbug fit in here?

Are you still thinking of trying the Wyrd out?

May 12, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,571 of 3,864
  Hey RB,
(not going to quote, I think we can figure it out)
bigsmile_face.gif

First trust me when I say I understand how a frustration level can get to the best of us, over many things on forums.
(been there done it many times, (no spring chicken here), whether my own posts or as moderator on another forum)

And being a builder/designer of tube amps I have certainly seen my share of naysayers screaming from there couches.
So I truly do get where your coming from. (I spend a lot of time evaluating builds and designs by listening an testing)

I also agree with you, evaluating a high end piece of audio from a very narrow sample without vocals and an tv source
is not what I would do or suggest, but if is someones normal listening criteria it will at least let them hear "differences".

And like you said he did actually get the thing and use it before posting anything about,
wink.gif

From an outsider on this forum I just ask if we can be a little more lenient and cordial when possible.
beerchug.gif

Again I'm with you, an wider range of music, and decent rez sources should be used to make "valuable" assessments.
Myself female vocals are a first test I use whether something can stay or not, obviously along with quality instruments.

I belong to a local audio group, about 300 members, it meets once a month at a members place.
When I first started going, or audio shows it shocked me sometimes how different people reacted to the same system.
(from the extreme of best they've heard to worst they've heard ON THE SAME SYSTEM, just wow sometimes there)

Now I take everything with a giant grain of salt, and a lot more tolerant on difference of opinion, on everything in life.
bigsmile_face.gif

-----------------

Trying to add something to the thread,
One of my main test albums is Tracy Chapman, (Crossroads) Her vocals cover a pretty wide range, good music to boot.
(Jacqui Naylor and Alison Krauss are 2 more of my favorite female vocals)

Cheers man,
Keg

Thanks for undertanding - well it started with OP on his putting down new music as 'produced' garbage,like TS - in a past post.  So he already had my irish up - I let that slide.  Then a veiled put down of music with bass and drums - I think Metallica he referenced - let that one slide too.

Now I happen to like TS and think '1989' is excellent!  Well recorded, great lyrics, amazing vocals - won many Grammys.  I like Lana Del Rey - 'UltraViolence' also very well done.  Florence and the Machine - 'Lungs', 'Cerimonals', 'How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful' - all excellent.  Many other really good new artists.

I like Tracy Chapman and was just listening to Alison Krauss last night.

But I love classical and jazz too.  I don't put classical down as boring, trite, limited in range, etc..  I appreciate it as well.
I love classic rock - you know the 70's stuff and new Alt bands like Seether and Brand New..what ever. 

A very wide range of music - some with drums and some without.  I never judge people for their music - but listening to TV dialogue as a audio standard was a new on me.  Old HP must be rolling in his grave.

I consider him a mentor of mine - miss you old chap!  And SeaCliff!
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/13/business/harry-pearson-founder-of-absolute-sound-dies-at-77.html?_r=0

When I evaluate stuff - I do it over a few days or weeks with a lot of listening.  For me that no problem as I listen most evenings 3-4 hours - reading.

I will try and be a little more patient in the future.

Cheers!

May 12, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #1,572 of 3,864
Lol. So at this point how many posters actually have an F-1 at this point? A hundred pages and I think only what six owners?

RB, I have to admit, I have been trying to play catch up on all these spdif converters and so far it really does seem like you're one of the very few aggressively making the case for these products. Before this thread all I'd been reading about was usb stuff: regens, decrapifiers, ipurifiers, on and on. I was under the impression from all the coverage and reviews that that was the new frontier. Very little talk about spdif converters, so I didn't even bother looking until I came across this thread. Even the PUC2 has only one real 'audiophile' review and it looks you were the inspiration for that one. So there's a parallel development happening with these converters and it's being ignored. I have a feeling that's about to change...

May 12, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,573 of 3,864
record of selling at the chinese taobao online store
su-1 = 7pcs
f-1 = 30pcs
q-1 = 2pcs
x-1 = 3pcs
xmos procesor xu208 (in 50pcs quantity) = 4set
xmos procesor xu208 (in 20pcs quantity) = 4set

look at the xmos xu 208 procesor sold in just one month so fast
now only two brand use xu -208 in their product singxer and melodius only. soon there will be more brand coming
the xu 208 bomb will be huge

May 12, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,574 of 3,864
  My point was that SPDIF is not some horrid scheme - does it, like USB have some flaws?  Yes!  Neither were designed for audio.

What do you mean SPDIF was not designed for audio? It is literally designed as a digital audio interface. If they hadn't chosen to mix the clock and data together there wouldn't need to be so much effort to make it sound good.

May 12, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #1,575 of 3,864

This is good info, especially for me, as I'm still trying to figure my best bang for the buck power/tweaks as well.
(my main system has been tweaked and prodded, but this computer setup deal is pretty new to me)

Where might the Jitterbug fit in here?

Are you still thinking of trying the Wyrd out?

Oh on the Jitterbug with using just one - +2 , as a modded VBUS blocker +3

Yes on the Wryd  - but only as a possible low cost LPS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back