Xiaomi Piston 3 (2015)
Apr 10, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #76 of 169
Haha that's good.

Did people here get charged import taxes? I got charged £13 in VAT because I chose DHL shipping. To be fair they called me and I paid the customs fees before the item arrived in the UK so there was no delay - they arrived the day after they were picked up in Hong Kong (there was Easter in Hong Kong so that slowed the initial pickup down). I thought that was fairly impressive.

I've actually got another pair coming via China Post. I wonder when they'll turn up - the tracking is useless!

Apr 10, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #77 of 169
  Slighty off-topic but could anybody identify these ear tips? They were included free with the Piston 3s that I got from Penon Audio:

Sony Hybrid clone tips

Apr 10, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #79 of 169

Not reeeeealllly...they're much to stiff. Really thick core. Not nearly as plush and sticky. They feel like an upgraded version of the tips you get with really generic iems, like the J+- ones offered here in Canada at the Great Canadian Superstore.

They look like Sony Hybrids though, so just a cheap rip-off.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #81 of 169
I actually quite like these so-called rip-off tips. They seal nicely and are comfortable.

The Comply T400 tips fit the Piston 3s nicely as do the Sony hybrid tips (both the original and clones - I'm still debating whether the genuine ones are really that much much better for something like £7 more).

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #82 of 169

Sony Hybrid clone tips

I have some of those tips and i actually use them on my vsd5 as of now. A bit harder and thicker then sony hybrids.. Works better on some iems then the sonys. If they are a rip-off because of the two tone color.. Then there are many other tips joining that club as well. Is the sony hybrid tip considered to be the alpha tip or what? :)

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #83 of 169
I have some of those tips and i actually use them on my vsd5 as of now. A bit harder and thicker then sony hybrids.. Works better on some iems then the sonys. If they are a rip-off because of the two tone color.. Then there are many other tips joining that club as well. Is the sony hybrid tip considered to be the alpha tip or what? :)

I don't know, they just fit very well.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #84 of 169
So i just got the Piston 3 for $17, (yay for living where xiaomi sells thing officially).
First Impression, no burning in, out of the box. This thing sounds muffled... I thought it was me, but then i grab my piston 2.1 and i was right how it sounds muffled.
The sound staging is also not as impressive as Piston 2, not as wide (for an IEM, please don't get misdirected, headphone will have better soundstage)

One curious thing is if i press the phone deeper to my ear then the muffled-ness gets better, but i just can't achieved it with the stock tips, not even with some other tips i have.

The mids are definitely less recessed than piston 2 and the high seems to be less rolled off. The bass? I think somehow it is not as defined as piston 2, might as well because of the muffled sound.

The build quality is good, Piston 2 good.

any other who wants to share their experience? would like to know if piston 3 really is less clear than the 2nd generation

I will go and burn the thing down, let's see if anything improve.

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #85 of 169
  So i just got the Piston 3 for $17, (yay for living where xiaomi sells thing officially).
First Impression, no burning in, out of the box. This thing sounds muffled... I thought it was me, but then i grab my piston 2.1 and i was right how it sounds muffled.
The sound staging is also not as impressive as Piston 2, not as wide (for an IEM, please don't get misdirected, headphone will have better soundstage)

One curious thing is if i press the phone deeper to my ear then the muffled-ness gets better, but i just can't achieved it with the stock tips, not even with some other tips i have.

The mids are definitely less recessed than piston 2 and the high seems to be less rolled off. The bass? I think somehow it is not as defined as piston 2, might as well because of the muffled sound.

any other who wants to share their experience? would like to know if piston 3 really is less clear than the 2nd generation

Ditch the tips for higher quality ones.

Many of these budget iems sound much, much better with sony hybrid type tips and a few hours of burn in.

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #90 of 169

So did it improve with burn in? I have the exact same feeling at first listen. I haven't tried the Piston 2 but it is genuinely one of the worst sounding IEM I have heard out of the box. I'm burning them in now while listening to my IM02 as the Piston out of the box was making me hate music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back