Xiaomi Hybrid IEM Thread (Piston successor)
Mar 9, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #616 of 856
  ok i just got mine from Gearbest.

They sound ok, slightly vailed, slightly fuzzy and uncontrolled, you can tell whats coming from the armature and whats coming from the dynamic dependiing on the sharpness,

soundstage is there but its close and very intimate, dont expect concert hall.

the bass needs refinement, and the main complaints, the midrange and voices... yea this wont bring to life the cracked and complex voices of people like Chris Cornell or Bonnie Taylor but its quite decent, Im surprised that Lovebeat Disney sounds good, it very processed and songs feel like they are laminated like a state ID but this brings it back to life.

The treble is good but then again im testing it out with the AGPTek imp (btw... if you liked the Cowon D2 and want a slightly sharper version, this is your player, just expect LOTS of bugs and workarounds), Its a bit of a dark player so judging good treble is hard.

First pair of earphones where i can use the hippo ears tips with them staying in my ear canals after i take them off. and the anti tangling braided coating is only up to the Y splitter, and even if it was all the way up it does little to prevent tangling. i had to untangle them strtaight of the box (my mistake, i pulled on the loop).

Just saying, the bass is a bit out of control, the vocals detal is ok but nothing out of the ordinary, the tonality is good, treble is there, its present, not sharp or harsh but present and non offensive.

an interesting detail is that a lot of recording have a small detail that kind of tells you something about a headphone and what you´re using to listen to it.

Every rose has its thorn by poison on some recordings has the vocalist breathing deeply, I have a live version of daughters by john mayer where a woman screems from the audience "we love you" and he whispers i love you too, then someone in the audince says "its all good" and another says "nobody likes you" (i wonder how that got passed mastering). Salvation song from chris cornel in live in sweden a woman says something that you cant figure out but depending ont he headphones you can hear her better or now.

another thing, isolation is between ok and meh, would give it a 3.5/5, as for sound leakage, its not a grado or a dollar store headphone where you´re on the train and the whole wagon knows what you´re listening to, but expect the person sitting next to you to be humming along to your tune.

the tenores costed me 34 euros, this costed me 17 euros. (gearbest)
The tenores are better but i feel like i got more for my money with the xiaomis, maybe the bass might tightern,

If i had to described them... Punchy and fun. This is the headphone you need for those catchy 80´s tunes that lift your spirit, but if accuracy and detail cheer you up, this headphone isnt for you.
The biggest "crime" these headphones commit by a country mile is that the armature is not paired correctly with the woofer, You can clearly tell whats coming from each.
BTW... i dont understand the people who say vocals are muffled on this... im listening to dear jessy by madonna which if you have a decent clean copy its a great test song due to the mix of a stedy beat, a good voice and the classical instruments in the back.

Its still better then the VSD5, **** vsonic.

Quite right!, i agree with your review, but i guess you need to burn them in, the woofer flats a bit and becomes a little bit more "coehesive". mine wins hand back other iems on 50usd price.If you use a good amplifier you can sound them better but also can hear the woofer and armatures working separately. I will start to "mod" them by closing their vents

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #617 of 856
thinking of picking up a new pair of xiaomi's. Should I go with hybrid or the 3.0s if I want something similar to the HD 598 but with a little more bass? Also, http://www.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_261864.html?gclid=CMu5w6qCtMsCFQmSaQodC9gAfA is this link legit?

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #618 of 856
I ordered a set of these as I am unlucky enough to have been born with a flap of skin covering most of my one ear that means I cannot get most in-ear headphones to either go in or if they do to stay in and have for the last number of years either had to use headphones or my trusty Sennheiser PX10 vertical earphones.

The angled design fits both my ears a treat and is comfortable enough to wear over extended periods. I do find that on my Xduoo X3 that there is a change of tone as the volume changes which allows me to find the tone I want just by changing the volume.

I do not consider myself an audiophile, I cannot afford the expensive items however have found these to offer me a quality of sound I had not expected in a £12 set of IEMs in the same way that I get sound I am happy with from my £30 Superlux HD681EVO headphones.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #620 of 856
  I ordered a set of these as I am unlucky enough to have been born with a flap of skin covering most of my one ear that means I cannot get most in-ear headphones to either go in or if they do to stay in and have for the last number of years either had to use headphones or my trusty Sennheiser PX10 vertical earphones.

The angled design fits both my ears a treat and is comfortable enough to wear over extended periods. I do find that on my Xduoo X3 that there is a change of tone as the volume changes which allows me to find the tone I want just by changing the volume.

I do not consider myself an audiophile, I cannot afford the expensive items however have found these to offer me a quality of sound I had not expected in a £12 set of IEMs in the same way that I get sound I am happy with from my £30 Superlux HD681EVO headphones.

i got them on banggod
http://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Hybrid-Dual-Drivers-Wired-Control-In-Ear-Earphone-Headphone-With-Mic-p-1010328.html

Mar 11, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #623 of 856
  Just ordered a pair of Xiaomi Hybrid and Piston 3 from Gearbest. What's usually the delivery time? 

30 days to Russia 
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #624 of 856
  best website to buy if shipping to Canada?

I bought mine from NCIX, a legit and large computer chain here in Vancouver, BC.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/xiaomi-hybrid-earphone-quantie-high-71-121745.htm

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #628 of 856
Im confused between these and tennmak dulcimer.....both are excellent in build quality and are diff league. Anyone,who tried both?

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #629 of 856
  i guess the piston 2 are more bassy, the piston 3 have less bass (still warm sound) and the hybrid have better mid-highs with better extension on the bass. if you eq them will bring a bass head iem

Thanks for your response, I really loved the bass on the 2.1's so I might just buy another pair. I guess I could just buy both since they're so cheap.

Mar 23, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #630 of 856
https://flic.kr/p/D2XWKS

Just got my Hybrids! Initial impression: There's nothing special about this! I guess I expected too much.

It's now undergoing the burn-in process using 1more's app. Hoping for a miracle.

EDIT:

As I said in my previous post, I bought two pairs of these hybrids. Yesterday I opened one and tested it out of the box then had it burn-in overnight using the app then left my walkman playing music throughout the day. I listen to it from time to time, still not enjoying what I've been hearing. Now I understand what muddy and recessed mids and highs mean. The bass is powerful though. This pair is my brother's. I decided to burn them in before giving it to him.

Now just this afternoon I opened the other pair. I played the usual songs I play when I test earphones (Englishman in New York - Sting, I Love My S*x - Benny Benassi). This time I liked what I heard out of the box. This is not muddy at all. The bass seems less powerful than the other pair but this is the sound that I actually prefer. I'm currently listening to Bon Iver's live studio performance at AIR studio and I love it! I guess it really is a manufacturing discrepancy. I just hope that the other pair opens up with more use.

EDIT2:

Just to make sure I'm not imagining the differences, I did a blind test and I can very easily distinguish one from the other.

UPDATE:
My brother has been using his pair of hybrids regularly and I had the opportunity to try them out again. It still doesn't sound like the one I have. I'm no longer expecting any improvement for his pair. This concludes my updates on this iem.

Damn. Is this something that'll vary from unit to unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back