Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Oct 30, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #436 of 957
Ok understood. Thank you for the info
wink_face.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #438 of 957
My son wants an mp3 player for Xmas.
He`s currently using his Samsung phone`s mp3 function.
He`s 10 and loves his music,lots of pop,rock and a little hip hop.
I was thinking of a Sansa Clip+ 8gig or a Ipod nano.
Any other ideas for his little Xears?

Plus ?
Cons ?

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #439 of 957
You made the right decison Putente. Thomas kind a lost his way and now is only lauching "ok" iems. For now is better spend a little more on hi-fi iems than buy xears models. The new models that he has been launching are all worse than xe200pro and TD-III V2, this means that the best xears models are the Blackwoods that were discontinued.

Oct 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #440 of 957

Quote:
You made the right decison Putente. Thomas kind a lost his way and now is only lauching "ok" iems. For now is better spend a little more on hi-fi iems than buy xears models. The new models that he has been launching are all worse than xe200pro and TD-III V2, this means that the best xears models are the Blackwoods that were discontinued.

What about ultraphile? What are its cons?

Oct 30, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #443 of 957
I appreciate the Xears earphones myself, but I'm sure you won't regret the GR07.  Just make sure you give it enough burn-in time; it's the rare earphone that truly needs it IMHO.  Mine sounded borderline shrill at first, but now... wow.

Still, I have a healthy respect for the TD100-II I sometimes still use at home, as well as the Xears Bullets that were 10 EUR+shipping at the time...  The TD100-II is still a brilliant earphone.  Too bad the darn housing is a bit too heavy and large for my tastes.

Looks like nowadays the prices are a bit higher, and build quality did not step up that much.  Too bad.  I think Xears still has potential, but Thomas should concentrate on QC issues rather than creating tons of new designs and give them ridiculous MSRPs.  But then again, maybe it's a successful business model for him.

Quote:
Well, I went the Hi-Fi way. Instead of buying 3 more Xears models in next couple of months (which I was about to), and for the same amount I'd spend, a Vsonic GR07 is on the way... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #444 of 957

Quote:
Looks like nowadays the prices are a bit higher, and build quality did not step up that much.  Too bad.  I think Xears still has potential, but Thomas should concentrate on QC issues rather than creating tons of new designs and give them ridiculous MSRPs.  But then again, maybe it's a successful business model for him.

I agree. However, as a result of my Xears breaking down, it makes me want to order another pair of Xears. Maybe that's his strategy 
tongue_smile.gif

And good thing there's the coupon code, or else I don't know if I'd spend that much on them. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #445 of 957

Quote:
I agree. However, as a result of my Xears breaking down, it makes me want to order another pair of Xears. Maybe that's his strategy 
tongue_smile.gif

And good thing there's the coupon code, or else I don't know if I'd spend that much on them. 

Hi Kc.  I notice in your sig you have a few IEM's I'm looking to try out.  How do the TDIII, Fischer Eterna, Genesis, and Dunu Trident compare?
Thanks in advance.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #446 of 957
The Genesis has just as much bass as the Eterna, if not more, with the latter a little more forward and the former more laid back. They are both quite transparent and have large soundstages. The Eterna has better presentation though. Both are very "fun" sounding but I want to make special note to the comfort of the Genesis. The shell has a very interesting shape but it has provided me with amazing comfort (one of the most comfortable IEMs I've tried to date) and seal. The TD III definitely sounds thicker compared to the FAs and doesn't have the spaciousness found in the Genesis and Eterna. They all have a mid bass hump and none are fatiguing over long listening sessions. I feel speed is a bit faster on the FAs. The Tridents are the ones I think stand out more in this group, sounding much more neutral comparatively. Tridents are brighter and doesn't have the bass authority the other 3 mentioned has, along with less mid-bass bleed. 

As a basshead, I prefer the Genesis, Eterna and Xears much more than the Tridents; however, it's very hard for me to pick a favourite out of those 3. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #447 of 957

Yes, I know about that long burn-in time the GR07 require to sound their best! I read a lot about them before I bought them. Will take proper care of them before I make any judgement regarding their SQ... 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
I appreciate the Xears earphones myself, but I'm sure you won't regret the GR07.  Just make sure you give it enough burn-in time; it's the rare earphone that truly needs it IMHO.  Mine sounded borderline shrill at first, but now... wow.

Still, I have a healthy respect for the TD100-II I sometimes still use at home, as well as the Xears Bullets that were 10 EUR+shipping at the time...  The TD100-II is still a brilliant earphone.  Too bad the darn housing is a bit too heavy and large for my tastes.

Still, regarding Xears, those XE200PRO Walnut are still making me think about them... 
tongue_smile.gif
 And, yes, I love the way my TD-III v2 sound, and think they were an excelent deal for 38 shipped! I just wish Xears would focus on better build quality, instead of bombarding us constantly with new models, that seem to be just more of the same, with different housings only... 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #448 of 957

Quote:
The Genesis has just as much bass as the Eterna, if not more, with the latter a little more forward and the former more laid back. They are both quite transparent and have large soundstages. The Eterna has better presentation though. Both are very "fun" sounding but I want to make special note to the comfort of the Genesis. The shell has a very interesting shape but it has provided me with amazing comfort (one of the most comfortable IEMs I've tried to date) and seal. The TD III definitely sounds thicker compared to the FAs and doesn't have the spaciousness found in the Genesis and Eterna. They all have a mid bass hump and none are fatiguing over long listening sessions. I feel speed is a bit faster on the FAs. The Tridents are the ones I think stand out more in this group, sounding much more neutral comparatively. Tridents are brighter and doesn't have the bass authority the other 3 mentioned has, along with less mid-bass bleed. 

As a basshead, I prefer the Genesis, Eterna and Xears much more than the Tridents; however, it's very hard for me to pick a favourite out of those 3. 

Thanks Kc, very useful.  I think I will stick to my original plan and pick up the Tridents first (only £19 at Frogbeats) and then try one of the others in a month or 2.  How did you find the soundstage of the Tridents comapred to the TDIII?  From the Xears I've had they are very intimate but I know the TDIII's are supposed to be more spacious than the models I tried.

Thanks again

Oct 31, 2011 at 7:06 AM Post #449 of 957
I'm also picking up the Tridents because I'm not too fond of the XE200PRO's design. Hopefully they live up to the hype as I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of SQ for what I hope to be benefits from the Trident (apparently better isolation according to Joker's review, for me better isolation = better SQ as I get the London Underground). I've also heard that they're more neutral than most of the Xears so I'd like to see how my songs are, hopefully they won't be more boring.

I may also pick up some ECCI PR401s, but I'm still waiting for something from Xears the sound of the XE200PRO or Xi200PRO with a smaller wooden housing with better QC.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #450 of 957

Quote:
^^I find CC51's bass a little overwhelming at times, are these XGF500Pro more bassier than CC51 and at the same time maintain the clarity well ?

Would like to see the pics wearing them straight down to see the size comparison.

Sorry, I don't own the CC51s.  I feel the TDIIIs v1 have more bass than the 500s though.  Don't know if that helps.

Quote:
My son wants an mp3 player for Xmas.
He`s currently using his Samsung phone`s mp3 function.
He`s 10 and loves his music,lots of pop,rock and a little hip hop.
I was thinking of a Sansa Clip+ 8gig or a Ipod nano.
Any other ideas for his little Xears?

Plus ?
Cons ?

I can recommend the Clip+, Clip Zip or Fuze (they have great refurbs for about $20, from time to time for the Fuze).
The new Nanos look very nice indeed and lots of folks praise the 6G for its great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back