Xears Thread (formerly TD III)
Oct 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #451 of 957
If your son has only 10 years old I recommend Sansa Clip+ or Fuze because they are cheap (your son will lost or break it quickly) and have an awsome sound for the price. At the moment he is too young for a more expensive mp3, and with sansas he will be well served.

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #452 of 957

Quote:
Thanks Kc, very useful.  I think I will stick to my original plan and pick up the Tridents first (only £19 at Frogbeats) and then try one of the others in a month or 2.  How did you find the soundstage of the Tridents comapred to the TDIII?  From the Xears I've had they are very intimate but I know the TDIII's are supposed to be more spacious than the models I tried.

Thanks again

I found the soundstage on the TDIII to be larger and wider compared to the Tridents. But for £19, Tridents are an amazing value with great build quality! 

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #453 of 957
Listen to a fair amount of rock, instrumental soundtracks, and downbeat stuff (bonobo, zero 7, etc).

I'm a fan of clarity. I don't mind missing out on bass, and do find it more intrusive on IEMs, but don't want to be left completely out in the cold. I'd love to have some soundstage to alternate with the Grado 'front-row' sound.

Am split between the XE200s and the MEE A151. Any opinions on what my deciding factors should be?

Read Joker's take on each of those; I imagine the bass response is pretty similar. Am leaning toward the XE200s if the clarity is as good as the A151s.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #454 of 957

Holy crap did I miss out!! Snow storm knocked down trees everywhere!! lost electricity/ heating/ water for 3 days. lol

Quote:
I appreciate the Xears earphones myself, but I'm sure you won't regret the GR07.  Just make sure you give it enough burn-in time; it's the rare earphone that truly needs it IMHO.  Mine sounded borderline shrill at first, but now... wow.

Still, I have a healthy respect for the TD100-II I sometimes still use at home, as well as the Xears Bullets that were 10 EUR+shipping at the time...  The TD100-II is still a brilliant earphone.  Too bad the darn housing is a bit too heavy and large for my tastes.

Looks like nowadays the prices are a bit higher, and build quality did not step up that much.  Too bad.  I think Xears still has potential, but Thomas should concentrate on QC issues rather than creating tons of new designs and give them ridiculous MSRPs.  But then again, maybe it's a successful business model for him.

Well, it's still 30Euros with code but if they did raise the MSRP it would've been nicer to step up the quality a bit. It sounds better with better tips, they're really kicking themselves in the arse by not using better tips. Mine is called 'TD Turbo II' I wonder if it's the same thing? anyways I like it better than the TDIII v2. Slightly better imaging and a wider soundstage with less warmth, which is fine for me since my amp adds some warmth to these anyways. 

Quote:
After being put of in buying the TD II after reports of too heavy bass and driver flexing problems and then loosing myself in 1million other IEM headphones im back. I think this will be the best option, ordering tonight. Hope the bass isn't too much :)

You won't regret it. (I hope)
To me, it's only slightly more bass than Brainwavz M1 with much better clarity.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #455 of 957
Well he did slightly improve the build quality from the TD-III V2, he reported that there were allot of broken TD-II and TD-III V1 being sent back. But ye it would be nice to have a nice and sturdy IEM without driver flex and an angled jack.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #456 of 957

Quote:
Well he did slightly improve the build quality from the TD-III V2, he reported that there were allot of broken TD-II and TD-III V1 being sent back. But ye it would be nice to have a nice and sturdy IEM without driver flex and an angled jack.

Ya, the TDII looks like it's ready to die already, lol. Only had it for a week.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #457 of 957
Hey guys,

unfortuantely the left earbud of my pair of Ultraphiles stopped playing after aprox. 25h of burning includig me carrying them around for a few times, so right now I'm not too convinced by the quality control and build quality of the IEMs.

Before I'll request another Ultraphile as replacement, has anyone an opinion wether the XE200Pro or the current model of the TDIII outperform the Ultraphile?

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #458 of 957
I believe that both xe200pro and td III are way better than Ultraphile. They are the best Xears models ever made. They have better bass, clarity and soundstage. You should ask Thomas for a xe200pro as replacement.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #460 of 957
I've xe200pro, TD-III and XSR that are ultraphile with different housings. I´ve listen to music a lot lately with all and i can surely say that XSR are the worst. The bass is way to strong and the vocals dont have any presence. The other two are better because they have a more controlled bass, good clarity and i can feel the presence of vocals. They have a bigger soundstage, with them the sensation of air is bigger.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #461 of 957
Interesting, thank you for your opinion. Are you suire about the similarities between the XSR and the Ultraphile? If only the Blackwood version of the XE200Pro was still available, I'm not too sure about the walnut.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #462 of 957

Quote:
Less than two weeks for the pair I ordered to reach Singapore. If I remember correctly, the package indicated that it was shipped the day after I placed the order (or was it on the day itself?)

My XE200Pro (blackwood) were shipped (postmarked) from Germany (Berlin) on 2011-09-22.  I was notified of arrival by the post office in Chapin, SC, USA, on Saturday, October 22.  I picked them up at the post office on 2011-10-25.  There was no evidence of customs inspection, and I do not know why they took so long to arrive.  I almost forgot: they sound very good!

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #463 of 957

Quote:
My XE200Pro (blackwood) were shipped (postmarked) from Germany (Berlin) on 2011-09-22.  I was notified of arrival by the post office in Chapin, SC, USA, on Saturday, October 22.  I picked them up at the post office on 2011-10-25.  There was no evidence of customs inspection, and I do not know why they took so long to arrive.  I almost forgot: they sound very good!

Addendum: they were ordered on 2011-09-21 in the evening.

Nov 5, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #465 of 957

Quote:
Ultraphile are XSR with differen housings. XSR sound quality is goob but xe200pro has better sound because of his crontrolled bass and impressive clarity.

The Ultraphile's however have a different soundsignature from the XSR330's.

Just received the XE200PRO Walnut edition. Very impressive indeed.

Personal rating:

1 - XE200PRO
2 - TDIII V2
3 - TDII (soundsigature very similar to the TDIII)
4 - Ultraphile
5 - XSR330PRO

I can highly recommend the first 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back