XDUoo XD05PRO
Oct 23, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #1,021 of 2,407
Oct 23, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #1,023 of 2,407
Yes it is in theory interesting but the real interest in the XD-05 to me is when they will release the R2R DAC module. Many like me don’t like the more « digital « sound signature of ESS, AKM and ROHM oversampling DACs. So the XC05 is the first, to my knowledge, battery driven transportable DAC with an R2R DAC technology. There are multiple desktop R2R DACs as well as DAPs on the market but no battery transportable devices.

This new Shanling is most probably going to be great sounding for those who like the AKM sound signature but it is not going to satisfy others like me. It will probably sound even better compared to using the AKM chip in the XD05 versus this new one considering it’s price point but still, sound signature is really important to meet peoples individual taste buds! :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #1,025 of 2,407
Interesting..
Where did you get the adapters?
And I don't remember which single channel OP-Amps they were..
I haven't bought them yet, the link is under the photos. Such an adapter is a good test platform, you do not need to remove the module. I have Bursons vivid, classic, staccato and soon I will have Sparkos. Thanks to such adapters, comparison is possible at all. You mean muses05? There are many single versions of opamps.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #1,026 of 2,407
I think that I'm not ready to pay 1500€ for portable dac/amp :) I like XD05PRO more because of:
1) its price (I have payed 640€ for new).
2) its unique features to replace dacs and opamps by yourself. Moreover you can upgrade these internal sockets microschemes by soldering higher quality elements by your choise.

I'm sure there will be more upcoming dac/amps with AK4499EX like the new upcoming FiiO Q15, also waiting for new portable dac/amps from IBasso...

Talking about Onix, Shanling announced that it use two "Muses 8920" op amps, they are not in the Top of line opamps from Muses, like "Muses02". in my opinion there is nothing to brag about :D

I'm more interested in upcoming IBasso new DAP line with easy interchangeable battery options, like in the new upcoming DX260 dap.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,027 of 2,407
I haven't bought them yet, the link is under the photos. Such an adapter is a good test platform, you do not need to remove the module. I have Bursons vivid, classic, staccato and soon I will have Sparkos. Thanks to such adapters, comparison is possible at all. You mean muses05? There are many single versions of opamps.

Yes, I meant MUSES05.
I didn't remember which OP-AMP was in the thread the other day.

Certainly having those adapters makes an A/B comparison between the different OP-AMPs much easier (indeed, I would say, possible).

Although (fantasizing) an alternative PCB could be created for the OP-AMPs, made in such a way as to mount them on the opposite side (i.e. facing towards the bottom of the DAC). That way, with the door open, you could also mount discrete vertical circuits. It would be nice if XDUOO thought about it..

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #1,028 of 2,407
Looks interesting.
Pros:
- MicroSD slot
- Normal external power port
- Two AK4499EX chips. not really big advantage as it should give +3dB S/N: 140 dB (Mono), 137 dB (Stereo)
- A little bit more power
- Better OpAmps (MUSES 8920 instead OPA1612) - this might significantly affect on music.

Cons:
- Price is almost twice higher

- No interchangeable DACs
- No interchangeable OpAmps
- Less battery capacity
- Still big brick

The same tantalum capacitors used in DAC scheme, so looks like almost only OpAmps slightly change sound signature.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,029 of 2,407
Yes, I meant MUSES05.

Certainly having those adapters makes an A/B comparison between the different OP-AMPs much easier (indeed, I would say, possible).

Although (fantasizing) an alternative PCB could be created for the OP-AMPs, made in such a way as to mount them on the opposite side (i.e. facing towards the bottom of the DAC). That way, with the door open, you could also mount discrete vertical circuits. It would be nice if XDUOO thought about it..
Yes!!! Alternative OP-AMPS PCB with opposite side mounting would be super helpful! 👍👍👍👍👍

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,030 of 2,407
Yes, I meant MUSES05.

They (xduoo) wrote back to me like this: "have no new opamp cards, user can replace the operational amplifier chips by himself".
But maybe someday alternative solutions will appear. There are many talented people.

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,031 of 2,407
Looks interesting.
Pros:
- MicroSD slot
- Normal external power port
- Two AK4499EX chips. not really big advantage as it should give +3dB S/N: 140 dB (Mono), 137 dB (Stereo)
- A little bit more power
- Better OpAmps (MUSES 8920 instead OPA1612) - this might significantly affect on music.

Cons:
- Price is almost twice higher

- No interchangeable DACs
- No interchangeable OpAmps
- Less battery capacity
- Still big brick

The same tantalum capacitors used in DAC scheme, so looks like almost only OpAmps slightly change sound signature.

Yes, but the output impedance seems quite high to me... exactly like on the Shanling H0.

I had read a discussion where users challenged Shanling about this data, and they replied (if I remember correctly) that they couldn't do otherwise due to AKK.

IMG_6366.jpeg

Oct 23, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,032 of 2,407
They (xduoo) wrote back to me like this: "have no new opamp cards, user can replace the operational amplifier chips by himself".
But maybe someday alternative solutions will appear. There are many talented people.

Yes, yes, but we are happy to change the OP-AMPs ourselves... we have done nothing so far other than change the standard components.

But we want to change them even more 😂

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #1,034 of 2,407
Not even close I’d say.

- More than double the price.
- No interchangeable DACs or AMPs
- AK4499EX. So far from comparison I’d say the ES9039Pro is a better DAC
- Xd05Pro comes with all the connectors and cables you’d ever need

Shanling is the Chinese sibling of A&K.
Overpriced, outdated Software and H/W, bad support, no long term updates.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #1,035 of 2,407
Not even close I’d say.

- More than double the price.
- No interchangeable DACs or AMPs
- AK4499EX. So far from comparison I’d say the ES9039Pro is a better DAC
- Xd05Pro comes with all the connectors and cables you’d ever need

Shanling is the Chinese sibling of A&K.
Overpriced, outdated Software and H/W, bad support, no long term updates.
100%

Users who are viewing this thread

Back