XDUoo XD05PRO
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #376 of 2,265
DDCs such as the Quloos QU02 and Singxer SU-6 have AES outputs. xDuoo seems to like offering that as an input - both on the XD-05 PRO and BAL/BAL2. I have never used it and can't really see the point on a portable device. I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I could explain the benefits!
I think one of Xduoo's older products has an AES output so might just be to maintain cross compatibility, just like how chord retains the micro usb on the mojo2 for the Poly. Might have another use I'm not sure about though 🤷‍♂️

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #377 of 2,265
DDCs such as the Quloos QU02 and Singxer SU-6 have AES outputs. xDuoo seems to like offering that as an input - both on the XD-05 PRO and BAL/BAL2. I have never used it and can't really see the point on a portable device. I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I could explain the benefits!
It’s better than coaxial, for short runs it shouldn’t matter. The xDuoo X10T II has that as output (along with optical and coax).

Aug 24, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #378 of 2,265
The PA10 is "just" an amp so what sort of comparison are you after? Are you after the XD-05 PRO as a DAC/amp vs using the PA10 as the amp in line out mode? Or are you looking for a comparison of the XD-05 PRO as a DAC/amp vs another DAC with the PA10 as the amp? Or even both? I can offer all the above but it might take a while to compose my views!
You are right, I have been unclear - actually I am mainly looking for an amp companion for my Hiby R6PII if in need for some extra power. So I am mainly interested in a comparison of the respective amp sections. The Xduoo's extra size and weight would not bother me too much if it were at least on par with the AK for use with IEM.

If the Xduoo can only be used as amp+DAC it would of course be interesting to hear a few impressions about the sound of the new ESS9039 or even a comparison to a Hiby R6PII / another AKM4499 DAP....

Besides that any more impressions are welcome here I guess, but please don't feel under pressure and take your time :)

Aug 24, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #379 of 2,265
I was kindly loaned an XD-05 PRO by @SoundJedi of Elise Audio, and have spent the last few days intermittently trying the PRO alongside different devices I have to hand. I've mostly tested using Qobuz hi-res files streamed from my MacBook, or the equivalent from the two DAPs I tried. My musical tastes lean towards rock, blues, metal, jazz, acoustic guitar, female vocals, and I'll throw in some electronic music for testing. I like real instruments, mostly. I've used Kinera Loki for most of my listening to date, although briefly tested using ThieAudio V16 and an old pair of Sony MDR-SA5000 headphones from 2005. I would have used Storm but that's in Singapore at present.

First off, the PRO is a really solid, and solidly built DAC/amp. It feels like it will last a lifetime so I have no real issues with build quality. I won't waste time with a run-down of all the features but want to make a few comments before diving into any sound impressions.

1) Power: The three power modes (Eco, Normal, Turbo) make a small difference in terms of output volume. 25 in Eco = 20 in Normal = 15 in Turbo, approximately. Turbo seems to provide more weight and body to notes so I just left the amp there. Although I don't listen particularly loudly, it seems to have plenty of headroom for hard-to-drive headphones.
2) Noise Floor: I had no issues with sensitive IEMs in terms of noise floor or hiss, whilst it also drove my headphones without issue.
3) Op-amps: To date, I've only listened using the Sparkos SS3602 op-amps I installed almost immediately. I will get around to trying different op-amps and post some further observations.
4) Filters: I generally struggle to hear any difference between different filter options on most devices, and the PRO is no exception. I left the filter on FIR1.
5) Heat: The PRO gets very warm after about an hour or so of running, particularly in Turbo mode. It makes a great hand-warmer on your desk.
6) Portability: It can fit in a pocket, if you have deep pockets, as I proved to some friends at CanJam last weekend. I wouldn't want to walk far with it in a pocket though!

Overall Sound Signature
The PRO is a very engaging, non-fatiguing listen. I would say it's fairly neutral overall, with a hint of warmth. Bass notes have great depth, kick drums have proper impact (especially in Turbo mode) and rock tracks have great energy. There's lots of detail in the treble with little glare or harshness to cymbals. Notes are crisp with a relatively quick decay. Mids are perhaps slightly lean on certain tracks vs some of the other sources I used. In terms of stage and separation, it felt a little two-dimensional compared to the RS6 in particular.

I know there can be concerns over ESS DACs lacking engagement but I didn't hear that with the PRO. It felt like a very well-implemented DAC and I wouldn't rush to replace it - this surprised me, to be honest.

vs HiBy RS6 DAP (modded by NPAudio)
I was fully expecting there to be a significant difference due to the change of DAC implementation to R2R on the RS6. Perhaps because of the NPAudio mods, the PRO and RS6 were closer in terms of overall character. This is testament to a very solid offering from xDuoo, considering the price difference. RS6 was technically superior, offering a deeper, wider and taller soundstage with improved instrument separation. However, it was hardly night and day. I felt a little closer to the performance on RS6; PRO was perhaps a little cooler and more remote in its overall presentation.

vs iBasso DX300 DAP (with AMP12EXN)
I didn't think the DX300 fared so well against the PRO. It was a little softer-edged and lacked some impact with my preferred genres. It suited some older, more laid-back recordings where an organic tone worked. The PRO offered deeper and weightier bass notes, cleaner mids, and crisper treble in comparison. I added the A&K PA10, which helped bring the DX300 closer in terms of performance but I would probably give the nod to the PRO.

I tried running the DX300 into the PRO using balanced line in, just to see how the amp section of the PRO changed the overall experience. This was one of my more surprising moments - the results basically sounded like the PRO. It was as if the PRO amp section completely dominated the Cirrus Logic DAC in the DX300 to the point where I struggled to tell whether I was listening to the PRO on its own or with the DX300 DAC.

vs Quloos MUB1 DAC/amp
The MUB1 was a little darker with a very enjoyable, organic tonality. Bass notes were a little thicker and rounder than the PRO, mids were a touch deeper and treble wasn't quite so emphasised. Bass on the PRO reached deeper and was a little cleaner with more texture. Sub-bass pulses (e.g. on Angel by Massive Attack) were quicker and more accurate, decaying smoothly. Having said that, MUB1 felt a little more natural and PRO just a bit more "digital", depending on the production.

Running the MUB1 DAC into the amp section of PRO worked better than the DX300/PRO pairing, which is curious given they both use Cirrus Logic DACs. Regardless, the warmth of the MUB1 was retained whilst capitalising on the weightier amp section of the PRO. This was a pretty solid combination and one I rather enjoyed. I need to spend more time listening.

vs Astell & Kern PA10 amp
I ran the PRO balanced line out into the PA10 to see if a separate amp made much difference. Any differences were subtle at best. The PA10 was perhaps a little warmer and richer on certain tracks, with just a hint more roundness to bass guitar notes. I didn't feel it was worth the extra cost or hassle of connecting the PA10. I'm really splitting hairs at this point and possibly trying to hear things that aren't really there!

vs xDuoo XD-05 BAL
This really wasn't a fair fight. The BAL leans brighter overall, and lacks the body and depth of the PRO. The overall character of the BAL was thinner and I didn't actually spend too much time comparing because my immediate conclusion was there's no reason I'd use the BAL.

Concluding Thoughts
If you're in the market for a transportable DAC/amp that can drive pretty much anything, the PRO is worthy of serious consideration. I think the price is reasonable for the sound quality it offers. I realise it's not cheap, but it is a very competitive package. I haven't tried the Fiio Q7 and have only heard a modded Shanling H7 that was too warm for my tastes. Would I buy one? No, but that's because I already have too many other portable devices that match it, offer a different flavour, or in certain cases beat it. If I were in the market for an all-in-one, transportable DAC/amp, it would certainly be high on my list.

Sorry for the ramble, hope this helps answer a few questions.

Aug 24, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #380 of 2,265
You are right, I have been unclear - actually I am mainly looking for an amp companion for my Hiby R6PII if in need for some extra power. So I am mainly interested in a comparison of the respective amp sections. The Xduoo's extra size and weight would not bother me too much if it were at least on par with the AK for use with IEM.

If the Xduoo can only be used as amp+DAC it would of course be interesting to hear a few impressions about the sound of the new ESS9039 or even a comparison to a Hiby R6PII / another AKM4499 DAP....

Besides that any more impressions are welcome here I guess, but please don't feel under pressure and take your time :)
Hopefully my summary above at least gives a few ideas. I don't actually have any AKM devices to hand so can't compare directly. I'm impressed with the ESS9039 stock DAC in the XD-05 PRO and wouldn't necessarily rush to change it as soon as additional modules are released. If you don't mind the additional bulk, I'd certainly consider this as an alternative to the PA10 to give your R6PII a good boost.

I'm sure further op-amp rolling with the XD-05 PRO will reveal different characteristics. The Sparkos SS3602s are excellent but may be dominating proceedings a little.

Aug 24, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #381 of 2,265
I was kindly loaned an XD-05 PRO by @SoundJedi of Elise Audio, and have spent the last few days intermittently trying the PRO alongside different devices I have to hand. I've mostly tested using Qobuz hi-res files streamed from my MacBook, or the equivalent from the two DAPs I tried. My musical tastes lean towards rock, blues, metal, jazz, acoustic guitar, female vocals, and I'll throw in some electronic music for testing. I like real instruments, mostly. I've used Kinera Loki for most of my listening to date, although briefly tested using ThieAudio V16 and an old pair of Sony MDR-SA5000 headphones from 2005. I would have used Storm but that's in Singapore at present.

First off, the PRO is a really solid, and solidly built DAC/amp. It feels like it will last a lifetime so I have no real issues with build quality. I won't waste time with a run-down of all the features but want to make a few comments before diving into any sound impressions.

1) Power: The three power modes (Eco, Normal, Turbo) make a small difference in terms of output volume. 25 in Eco = 20 in Normal = 15 in Turbo, approximately. Turbo seems to provide more weight and body to notes so I just left the amp there. Although I don't listen particularly loudly, it seems to have plenty of headroom for hard-to-drive headphones.
2) Noise Floor: I had no issues with sensitive IEMs in terms of noise floor or hiss, whilst it also drove my headphones without issue.
3) Op-amps: To date, I've only listened using the Sparkos SS3602 op-amps I installed almost immediately. I will get around to trying different op-amps and post some further observations.
4) Filters: I generally struggle to hear any difference between different filter options on most devices, and the PRO is no exception. I left the filter on FIR1.
5) Heat: The PRO gets very warm after about an hour or so of running, particularly in Turbo mode. It makes a great hand-warmer on your desk.
6) Portability: It can fit in a pocket, if you have deep pockets, as I proved to some friends at CanJam last weekend. I wouldn't want to walk far with it in a pocket though!

Overall Sound Signature
The PRO is a very engaging, non-fatiguing listen. I would say it's fairly neutral overall, with a hint of warmth. Bass notes have great depth, kick drums have proper impact (especially in Turbo mode) and rock tracks have great energy. There's lots of detail in the treble with little glare or harshness to cymbals. Notes are crisp with a relatively quick decay. Mids are perhaps slightly lean on certain tracks vs some of the other sources I used. In terms of stage and separation, it felt a little two-dimensional compared to the RS6 in particular.

I know there can be concerns over ESS DACs lacking engagement but I didn't hear that with the PRO. It felt like a very well-implemented DAC and I wouldn't rush to replace it - this surprised me, to be honest.

I was fully expecting there to be a significant difference due to the change of DAC implementation to R2R on the RS6. Perhaps because of the NPAudio mods, the PRO and RS6 were closer in terms of overall character. This is testament to a very solid offering from xDuoo, considering the price difference. RS6 was technically superior, offering a deeper, wider and taller soundstage with improved instrument separation. However, it was hardly night and day. I felt a little closer to the performance on RS6; PRO was perhaps a little cooler and more remote in its overall presentation.

I didn't think the DX300 fared so well against the PRO. It was a little softer-edged and lacked some impact with my preferred genres. It suited some older, more laid-back recordings where an organic tone worked. The PRO offered deeper and weightier bass notes, cleaner mids, and crisper treble in comparison. I added the A&K PA10, which helped bring the DX300 closer in terms of performance but I would probably give the nod to the PRO.

I tried running the DX300 into the PRO using balanced line in, just to see how the amp section of the PRO changed the overall experience. This was one of my more surprising moments - the results basically sounded like the PRO. It was as if the PRO amp section completely dominated the Cirrus Logic DAC in the DX300 to the point where I struggled to tell whether I was listening to the PRO on its own or with the DX300 DAC.

vs Quloos MUB1 DAC/amp
The MUB1 was a little darker with a very enjoyable, organic tonality. Bass notes were a little thicker and rounder than the PRO, mids were a touch deeper and treble wasn't quite so emphasised. Bass on the PRO reached deeper and was a little cleaner with more texture. Sub-bass pulses (e.g. on Angel by Massive Attack) were quicker and more accurate, decaying smoothly. Having said that, MUB1 felt a little more natural and PRO just a bit more "digital", depending on the production.

Running the MUB1 DAC into the amp section of PRO worked better than the DX300/PRO pairing, which is curious given they both use Cirrus Logic DACs. Regardless, the warmth of the MUB1 was retained whilst capitalising on the weightier amp section of the PRO. This was a pretty solid combination and one I rather enjoyed. I need to spend more time listening.

I ran the PRO balanced line out into the PA10 to see if a separate amp made much difference. Any differences were subtle at best. The PA10 was perhaps a little warmer and richer on certain tracks, with just a hint more roundness to bass guitar notes. I didn't feel it was worth the extra cost or hassle of connecting the PA10. I'm really splitting hairs at this point and possibly trying to hear things that aren't really there!

vs xDuoo XD-05 BAL
This really wasn't a fair fight. The BAL leans brighter overall, and lacks the body and depth of the PRO. The overall character of the BAL was thinner and I didn't actually spend too much time comparing because my immediate conclusion was there's no reason I'd use the BAL.

Concluding Thoughts
If you're in the market for a transportable DAC/amp that can drive pretty much anything, the PRO is worthy of serious consideration. I think the price is reasonable for the sound quality it offers. I realise it's not cheap, but it is a very competitive package. I haven't tried the Fiio Q7 and have only heard a modded Shanling H7 that was too warm for my tastes. Would I buy one? No, but that's because I already have too many other portable devices that match it, offer a different flavour, or in certain cases beat it. If I were in the market for an all-in-one, transportable DAC/amp, it would certainly be high on my list.

Thanks for the description. What opamps did you use with the xd05 pro (and xd05 bal)?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #382 of 2,265
Thanks for the description. What opamps did you use with the xd05 pro (and xd05 bal)?
The PRO has Sparkos SS3602s installed as I mentioned. My XD-05 BAL has Muses02s at present, although I normally use Burson V5iDs. I removed those to try in the PRO.

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #383 of 2,265
The PRO has Sparkos SS3602s installed as I mentioned. My XD-05 BAL has Muses02s at present, although I normally use Burson V5iDs. I removed those to try in the PRO.
Yes, sparkos won't fit in a bal, so I wanted to make sure what your comparison method was. The xd05 pro is really a lot of options to customize the sound signature, I know it takes time to do all of that. I think muses02 in xd05 bal is a more analytical and strong sound in the low end, but this is at the expense of the stage and detail in general, maybe it would be better to compare pro and bal with burson v5i? Sparkos and muses02 are different worlds though. What do you think about it?

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #384 of 2,265
Yes, sparkos won't fit in a bal, so I wanted to make sure what your comparison method was. The xd05 pro is really a lot of options to customize the sound signature, I know it takes time to do all of that. I think muses02 in xd05 bal is a more analytical and strong sound in the low end, but this is at the expense of the stage and detail in general, maybe it would be better to compare pro and bal with burson v5i? Sparkos and muses02 are different worlds though. What do you think about it?
I would agree that v5i-D makes audible difference in sound, one of the best op-amp that I tried...in my case with other devices that I tried it was clear difference with these (more powerfull bass, thick vocals, more weight and warmth on the notes, better scene...)

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #385 of 2,265
very interesting that a dap can stand up to such a large device, especially with the sparkos in it
will you get the akm and r2r chips? those two are the most interesting i'd say
personally have been looking at this dacamp for the sheer specs it offers but if the biggest thing it has going for it over high quality daps is sheer power and an rs6 can beat it then i'll probably stick to my wm1a :)

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #386 of 2,265

Overall Sound Signature

vs Quloos MUB1 DAC/amp

vs xDuoo XD-05 BAL

Concluding Thoughts

Thanks for the impressions and comparisons.
My current setup is RS6+NX7 (HD6XX, Arya and LCD2C). I am very happy with my DAP and I am only looking for better amplification.

PRO's DAC modules are definitely interesting but if the amplification is not anything special I would rather go with PA10.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #387 of 2,265
I agree the op-amps all sound different. I wasn't trying to do a scientific a/b comparison of every component, just trying to share some initial impressions. I was also particularly interested in seeing if the SS3602s would (a) fit; (b) sound good.

I only have one set of V5iDs so trying to a/b will be tricky. By the time I've swapped op-amps back and forth multiple times, I'm likely to have forgotten the precise differences. I may be able to borrow some V5iDs but not for a week or two. I guess there's also the question of how the BAL2 compares to the PRO, which would be a more relevant assessment than using the original BAL. I don't have the BAL2, but can get my hands on one if needed.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #388 of 2,265
Thanks for the impressions and comparisons.
My current setup is RS6+NX7 (HD6XX, Arya and LCD2C). I am very happy with my DAP and I am only looking for better amplification.

PRO's DAC modules are definitely interesting but if the amplification is not anything special I would rather go with PA10.
I wouldn't say that at all. I think the amp section of the PRO is really good. I just didn't hear much difference between that and the also excellent PA10.

As you already have the RS6, I'd stick with that and look at an amp, as you suggest. The Cayin C9 pairs brilliantly with RS6 but I realise that's in a different price range.

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #389 of 2,265
very interesting that a dap can stand up to such a large device, especially with the sparkos in it
will you get the akm and r2r chips? those two are the most interesting i'd say
personally have been looking at this dacamp for the sheer specs it offers but if the biggest thing it has going for it over high quality daps is sheer power and an rs6 can beat it then i'll probably stick to my wm1a :)
As the PRO is just on loan to me, I wouldn't get the additional DAC modules. If I were to buy one, I'd certainly consider it. With regard to the RS6 vs XD-05 PRO, my RS6 has been upgraded by NPAudio. It has far better op-amps and capacitors than the stock version, which I'm sure is why the performance is closer to the PRO. The RS6 DAC is excellent but stock amp stage is a bit weak, imho. The same applies to the RS8 as well, I found when I compared the two.

I'm going to get a Quloos QA390LE to replace some of my gear. Although I haven't compared it directly to the XD-05 PRO, I preferred the QA390LE in terms of overall sound based on recent tests of each. It's fantastically powerful and drives anything I own, and it allows me to reduce my desktop gear. I know it's 1-2 years old and significantly more expensive, but I was super-impressed.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #390 of 2,265
As the PRO is just on loan to me, I wouldn't get the additional DAC modules. If I were to buy one, I'd certainly consider it. With regard to the RS6 vs XD-05 PRO, my RS6 has been upgraded by NPAudio. It has far better op-amps and capacitors than the stock version, which I'm sure is why the performance is closer to the PRO. The RS6 DAC is excellent but stock amp stage is a bit weak, imho. The same applies to the RS8 as well, I found when I compared the two.

I'm going to get a Quloos QA390LE to replace some of my gear. Although I haven't compared it directly to the XD-05 PRO, I preferred the QA390LE in terms of overall sound based on recent tests of each. It's fantastically powerful and drives anything I own, and it allows me to reduce my desktop gear. I know it's 1-2 years old and significantly more expensive, but I was super-impressed.
you think the modded rs6 beats the rs8?

also, speaking of npaudio mods, he also mods the wm1a and i think he offers even more extensive mods for it over the rs6, although the wm1a has the unique sony class D amp so no opamp rolling done there :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back