XDUoo XD05PRO
Aug 23, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #361 of 2,307
Aug 24, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #363 of 2,307
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #364 of 2,307
I have an XD-05 PRO on loan for a couple of weeks and have been doing some initial testing / op-amp rolling. I'm still forming impressions so don't want to post too much just yet. It's a beast of a device and has plenty of power to drive any IEMs and probably most headphones.

I've swapped op-amps and installed a pair of Sparkos SS3602s in place of the JRC5532 op-amps that were supplied. The SS3602s *just* fit but I had to trim and file a couple of the installation legs on the underside of one op-amp as they were catching against some of the caps. Other op-amps mentioned earlier in this thread such as the Burson V5iD, Muses02 and Analog Devices op-amps will fit without any difficulty. I'd recommend using DIP8 mounting adapters with op-amps such as ADs or Muses so you don't damage the legs of the op-amps themselves. You need to be careful when extracting them directly from the XD-05 PRO op-amp mounts.

I've included a few pics to illustrate the change of op-amps to the SS3602s.

Attachments

• XD05_PRO_Opamp_00.JPG
    XD05_PRO_Opamp_00.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • XD05_PRO_Opamp_02.JPG
    XD05_PRO_Opamp_02.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • XD05_PRO_Opamp_03.JPG
    XD05_PRO_Opamp_03.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • XD05_PRO_Opamp_04.JPG
    XD05_PRO_Opamp_04.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • XD05_PRO_Opamp_05.JPG
    XD05_PRO_Opamp_05.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • XD05_PRO_Opamp_01.JPG
    XD05_PRO_Opamp_01.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #365 of 2,307
I have an XD-05 PRO on loan for a couple of weeks and have been doing some initial testing / op-amp rolling. I'm still forming impressions so don't want to post too much just yet. It's a beast of a device and has plenty of power to drive any IEMs and probably most headphones.

I've swapped op-amps and installed a pair of Sparkos SS3602s in place of the JRC5532 op-amps that were supplied. The SS3602s *just* fit but I had to trim and file a couple of the installation legs on the underside of one op-amp as they were catching against some of the caps. Other op-amps mentioned earlier in this thread such as the Burson V5iD, Muses02 and Analog Devices op-amps will fit without any difficulty. I'd recommend using DIP8 mounting adapters with op-amps such as ADs or Muses so you don't damage the legs of the op-amps themselves. You need to be careful when extracting them directly from the XD-05 PRO op-amp mounts.

I've included a few pics to illustrate the change of op-amps to the SS3602s.
While using sparkos could you close the enclosure or have to use it with lid open?

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #366 of 2,307
Add A&K PA10.... :)

Any impressions with IEM already? Problems with hiss?
I've tried the XD-05 PRO with ThieAudio V16 and Kinera Loki. Unfortunately, my Storm is back in Singapore atm. V16 is very, very sensitive and I have heard no hiss whatsoever. The XD-05 PRO has three power modes - Eco, Normal and Turbo. Both my IEMs can be driven in any of the three modes without issue. Moving "up" the modes seems to adds a bit more weight to bass notes but only a little more volume.

I have an XD-05 BAL and A&K PA10 to compare, although the latter is not a direct competitor. I've also been doing some testing against my iBasso DX300 and HiBy RS6, both of which have been modded by NPAudio. Lots to write about!

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #367 of 2,307
While using sparkos could you close the enclosure or have to use it with lid open?
Closed. The SS3602s fit in the op-amp enclosure without any problems. As I said, you just need to trim a couple of the legs on the underside of one op-amp for them to fit properly. As the enclosure is on the underside of the XD-05 PRO, I'm not sure it would be practical to leave it open. I guess you could (maybe) and fit something crazy like the SS2590s or SIL 994s, using DIP8 extenders. I'm not a fan of open heart surgery on DAC/amps though.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #368 of 2,307
Closed. The SS3602s fit in the op-amp enclosure without any problems. As I said, you just need to trim a couple of the legs on the underside of one op-amp for them to fit properly. As the enclosure is on the underside of the XD-05 PRO, I'm not sure it would be practical to leave it open. I guess you could (maybe) and fit something crazy like the SS2590s or SIL 994s, using DIP8 extenders. I'm not a fan of open heart surgery on DAC/amps though.
I was thinking that you could put the xd05 pro on its side and then try to play around with some big opamps and make some 3d printer stand for example, but that's more in the days of immense boredom :)

Can you share some initial impressions between burson and sparkos in use in xd05 pro?

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #369 of 2,307
I was thinking that you could put the xd05 pro on its side and then try to play around with some big opamps and make some 3d printer stand for example, but that's more in the days of immense boredom :)

Can you share some initial impressions between burson and sparkos in use in xd05 pro?
I guess you could use something like the Burson Cool Stand - https://www.bursonaudio.com/shop/cool-stand/ - if you really wanted to sit the XD-05 PRO on its side.

I'm afraid I'm tied up with work all day so won't get to compare the 3602s and V5iDs until this evening (UK). I'll post some impressions later though.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #372 of 2,307
I think is digital audio, much used in BROADCAST environment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES3
You right, some dac use it next to spdif oraz rca/coaxcial, usually it's full size 3-pin XLR, in xd05 pro it's 3-pin mini xlr. Only device I know of that also uses 3-pin mini xlr is xduoo x10t II (btw do any one of you know about any other similar device to x10t that could be digital transposrt wit aes other than x10t?).

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #373 of 2,307
I've tried the XD-05 PRO with ThieAudio V16 and Kinera Loki. Unfortunately, my Storm is back in Singapore atm. V16 is very, very sensitive and I have heard no hiss whatsoever. The XD-05 PRO has three power modes - Eco, Normal and Turbo. Both my IEMs can be driven in any of the three modes without issue. Moving "up" the modes seems to adds a bit more weight to bass notes but only a little more volume.

I have an XD-05 BAL and A&K PA10 to compare, although the latter is not a direct competitor. I've also been doing some testing against my iBasso DX300 and HiBy RS6, both of which have been modded by NPAudio. Lots to write about!
Interesting, thank you. And I am looking forward to more impressions especially soundwise in comparison to the AK PA10 :beerchug:

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #374 of 2,307
You right, some dac use it next to spdif oraz rca/coaxcial, usually it's full size 3-pin XLR, in xd05 pro it's 3-pin mini xlr. Only device I know of that also uses 3-pin mini xlr is xduoo x10t II (btw do any one of you know about any other similar device to x10t that could be digital transposrt wit aes other than x10t?).
DDCs such as the Quloos QU02 and Singxer SU-6 have AES outputs. xDuoo seems to like offering that as an input - both on the XD-05 PRO and BAL/BAL2. I have never used it and can't really see the point on a portable device. I'm sure those more knowledgeable than I could explain the benefits!

Aug 24, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #375 of 2,307
Interesting, thank you. And I am looking forward to more impressions especially soundwise in comparison to the AK PA10 :beerchug:
The PA10 is "just" an amp so what sort of comparison are you after? Are you after the XD-05 PRO as a DAC/amp vs using the PA10 as the amp in line out mode? Or are you looking for a comparison of the XD-05 PRO as a DAC/amp vs another DAC with the PA10 as the amp? Or even both? I can offer all the above but it might take a while to compose my views!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back