xduoo xd05 bal2 vs bal1
Sep 26, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #46 of 66
Just received and rolled a pair of Burson V5i-D opamps into xDuoo XD05 Bal 2. Oh my, major step forward in multiple areas versus stock. The biggest leap is in overall musicality. The amp. sounded clean before but not particularly euphonic. With the V5i-D pair installed there is a richness to the mids that engages and draws me in to the music, almost like a fine tube amp. This musical engagement and rich mids do not come at the expense of the other frequencies and instrument separation, placement , layering and detail retrieval remain excellent. Stage seems moderately more expansive in all 3 dimensions, holographic if you'll forgive the audiophile cliché. Overall, a very worthwhile upgrade and BTW it is easy to swap opamps just as advertised even for a non-technical / non-tinkerer type like myself.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #47 of 66
Small issue with my Bal2 is that when I charge it appears to cease charging per the LED indicator when it reaches three bars. However, if I then switch to battery mode it show full 5 bars. A bit confusing / unexpected behavior, although I suppose if the battery mode indicator is accurate and it is getting a full charge that's what matters. Do others experience this same behavior when charging?

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #48 of 66
Small issue with my Bal2 is that when I charge it appears to cease charging per the LED indicator when it reaches three bars. However, if I then switch to battery mode it show full 5 bars. A bit confusing / unexpected behavior, although I suppose if the battery mode indicator is accurate and it is getting a full charge that's what matters. Do others experience this same behavior when charging?
Yes, I have exactly the same problem. Maybe they will fix it in the new firmware version...

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #49 of 66
Thanks at @quaddac ... it seems the battery life is quite good so may just be an indicator light issue rather than true battery issue. BTW how does one receive notice of new FW available and then given that USB mode is as DAC, how does one perform the upgrade. Sorry if these are basic questions but I am new to BAL2. Thanks!

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #50 of 66
Thanks at @quaddac ... it seems the battery life is quite good so may just be an indicator light issue rather than true battery issue. BTW how does one receive notice of new FW available and then given that USB mode is as DAC, how does one perform the upgrade. Sorry if these are basic questions but I am new to BAL2. Thanks!
You should check the https://xduoo.net/firmware-download/ section on their website. They have nothing for now. There were updates available in the bal1 version. We'll see ..

Nov 11, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #51 of 66
Hi, I have a question. I've recently got an Xduoo XD05 Bal2 which I'm using (mainly) as a desktop dac and headphone amp now.
I was looking at this new SMSL nice and cheap dac (which is btw on sale at Shenzhen audio right now).
I would like to use it as dac with the volume control and use my Bal 2 as balanced headphone amp.
The latter has this AES in balanced port (I'm not familiar with).
Is there any chance to output the balanced audio from the D6-S's two xlr to this AES input?
I mean is there a cable somehow or it will only require another AES out port (and cable)?
Thank you.

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #52 of 66
Noted this opamp. in the xDuo Pro thread, has anyone tried it in Bal2 and if so, does it fit well and sound better than the stock or Burson V5i-D?

DUAL DISCRETE OP AMP SS3602

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #53 of 66
Hi, I have a question. I've recently got an Xduoo XD05 Bal2 which I'm using (mainly) as a desktop dac and headphone amp now.
I was looking at this new SMSL nice and cheap dac (which is btw on sale at Shenzhen audio right now).
I would like to use it as dac with the volume control and use my Bal 2 as balanced headphone amp.
The latter has this AES in balanced port (I'm not familiar with).
Is there any chance to output the balanced audio from the D6-S's two xlr to this AES input?
I mean is there a cable somehow or it will only require another AES out port (and cable)?
Thank you.
AES is a digital input, if you want to use the SMSL as the DAC then you need to plug it into the XD05s aux/3.5 port, you need a dual RCA to 3.5aux cable for that.

Dec 9, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #54 of 66
AES is a digital input, if you want to use the SMSL as the DAC then you need to plug it into the XD05s aux/3.5 port, you need a dual RCA to 3.5aux cable for that.
A little late for the reply aren't you? Like one month late lol.
Anyway I have figured that out long ago and it has gone off my desktop, now I'm using a DX5 in dac mode and an A30 Pro XLR connected.
The Xduoo Bal2 is still with me, hoping for a long time but using it as mobile dac with iems and in late night TV mode (with my K712 Pro).

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:05 AM Post #57 of 66
Guys,

I'm using Bal2 for my JVC HA-FD01 IEMs.

Two main concerns I have with it...

First is, I'm using SE output as my JVC has only SE jack. Can it be the reason I hear noise when adjusting the volume knob (noticeable only when the source level is set to very low values or not playing anything at all)? Very similar to noise when a potentiometer is dirty and needs cleaning, but device is brand new, though.

Second, as long as I know, this JVC IEMs are very sensitive, I'm listening to music while the volume on bal2 is set to 3-4 at high gain! Is this normal? Does it have some kind of protection and it detects sensitive headphones?

Thanks

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #58 of 66
Guys,

I'm using Bal2 for my JVC HA-FD01 IEMs.

Two main concerns I have with it...

First is, I'm using SE output as my JVC has only SE jack. Can it be the reason I hear noise when adjusting the volume knob (noticeable only when the source level is set to very low values or not playing anything at all)? Very similar to noise when a potentiometer is dirty and needs cleaning, but device is brand new, though.

Second, as long as I know, this JVC IEMs are very sensitive, I'm listening to music while the volume on bal2 is set to 3-4 at high gain! Is this normal? Does it have some kind of protection and it detects sensitive headphones?

Thanks
Hi you gotta be crazy using the Bal2 in high gain with high sensitivity IEMs!
I'm using it in low gain (same SE) with the AKM 712 Pro way harder to drive headphones than your IEMs.
No wonder why can you see some noise, put them on low gain mate and (just) try to listen at a lower volume, your ears are important!

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #59 of 66
Hi you gotta be crazy using the Bal2 in high gain with high sensitivity IEMs!
I'm using it in low gain (same SE) with the AKM 712 Pro way harder to drive headphones than your IEMs.
No wonder why can you see some noise, put them on low gain mate and (just) try to listen at a lower volume, your ears are important!

This definitely indicates that my device is faulty, because the volume is normal for me at this level and I can say my hearing isn't that bad. Definitely something is wrong with it. Do you have it on native Windows drivers or the one from xDuoo site?

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #60 of 66
This definitely indicates that my device is faulty, because the volume is normal for me at this level and I can say my hearing isn't that bad. Definitely something is wrong with it. Do you have it on native Windows drivers or the one from xDuoo site?
XDuoo's drivers but also listening on my TV in bluetooth or at my CD Player CD11 Tribute (in line out rca stereo to 3.5mm) in Aux mode will always have the same listening levels more or less, never on High gain.
I mean Jeez is a powerful 1.5W output little thing, plenty of power for my K712 (bluetooth), Anandas (USB) or the Amiron Home in aux with the CD Player.
All in low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back