xduoo xd05 bal2 vs bal1
Sep 17, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #31 of 66
Received my XD05 Bal 2 and enjoying it greatly so far. One "quirk" I've noticed is that when connected as USB DAC the volume is much louder then when playing standalone such as through a DAP via Bluetooth. Indeed with turbo "off" and moderately sensitive headphones. I can barely turn the volume pot. beyond "1" without uncomfortably loud output. In comparison, same headphones used with BT connection from PC or DAP to XD05 Bal 2 requires turbo "on" and vol. pot set at "5". That is quite a difference! is this normal / expected behavior and is it user configurable in any way? I would like to have a little more range in the volume pot. when connected as USB DAC. Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Sep 17, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #32 of 66
Received my XD05 Bal 2 and enjoying it greatly so far. One "quirk" I've noticed is that when connected as USB DAC the volume is much louder then when playing standalone such as through a DAP via Bluetooth. Indeed with turbo "off" and moderately sensitive headphones. I can barely turn the volume pot. beyond "1" without uncomfortably loud output. In comparison, same headphones used with BT connection from PC or DAP to XD05 Bal 2 requires turbo "on" and vol. pot set at "5". That is quite a difference! is this normal / expected behavior and is it user configurable in any way? I would like to have a little more range in the volume pot. when connected as USB DAC. Thanks for any input and suggestions.
You probably have usb output set to 100% in your source and bt doesn't. You can adjust the volume from any source, dap or pc, usb or bt. Bal2 has incredible power, if you use sensitive headphones, give up the balanced output and use unbalanced.

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #33 of 66
Thannk you, @quaddac. Interestingly, on the product page it states that the power output is the same for both 6.3 and 4.4 outputs, 1.5 W at 32 ohms.

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #34 of 66
Regarding op amp compatibility, does the XD05 Bal 2 offer compatibility with the same options other XD05 models do? I ask because thus far I am finding the sound signature a bit warm-leaning, and know there is a huge amount written about op amp rolling in this other XD05 thread. I definitely don't want to damage my "new toy" by trying an incompatible op amp. so any guidance or direction to a list of compatible options would be welcomed. Thanks.

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #35 of 66
Regarding op amp compatibility, does the XD05 Bal 2 offer compatibility with the same options other XD05 models do? I ask because thus far I am finding the sound signature a bit warm-leaning, and know there is a huge amount written about op amp rolling in this other XD05 thread. I definitely don't want to damage my "new toy" by trying an incompatible op amp. so any guidance or direction to a list of compatible options would be welcomed. Thanks.
They have to be dual, not single - that's pretty much it.

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #36 of 66
Thanks for all of your help, @quaddac. I use HQPlayer as my software in Win 11 and it has the ability to attenuate volume,. By so doing I've restored range in the XD05 Bal 2's volume pot., just as you indicated. HQPlayer developer indicates the volume attenuation is not lossy, and to my ears there is no appreciable decrement in sound quality. I really appreciate your guidance!

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 66
Silly question alert: My aging eyes cannot tell what type of screw is used in the front panel: small Philips head or something else? I ordered Burson V5i dual to try and want to make sure I have the correct screwdriver to remove the front panel when the new opamps arrive. Thanks so much for the help.

Sep 19, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #38 of 66
I did receive answer in the original XD05 Bal thread that it uses Torq (T5) screws. To finish up the silly questions (I hope): Any reason not to use a Torx screwdriver with a magnetic tip, i.e. - will the magnet damage any of the electronics within the amp? :thinking:

Sep 19, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #39 of 66
I did receive answer in the original XD05 Bal thread that it uses Torq (T5) screws. To finish up the silly questions (I hope): Any reason not to use a Torx screwdriver with a magnetic tip, i.e. - will the magnet damage any of the electronics within the amp? :thinking:
No, a screwdriver with a magnetic tip is included in the factory set, but remove the screws very gently, because the screws are quite delicate, as are the threaded holes. It is better not to tighten the screws very tightly.

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #41 of 66
Yes, but it seemed a bit overkill for IEM's which sound great from my DAP, and I had to reduce the source volume quite a bit. Really enjoying it with my iover ear headphones though!

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #42 of 66
Question about Bal2 charge function: Does it have automatic overcharge protection or do I need to remember to manually switch off charging after 10 hours or so?

Sep 23, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 66
Thanks for all of your help, @quaddac. I use HQPlayer as my software in Win 11 and it has the ability to attenuate volume,. By so doing I've restored range in the XD05 Bal 2's volume pot., just as you indicated. HQPlayer developer indicates the volume attenuation is not lossy, and to my ears there is no appreciable decrement in sound quality. I really appreciate your guidance!
@quaddac your suggestions to reduce source volume were very helpful as above. However I now am connecting my HiBy RS6 DAP's coaxial output to the Bal 2 coaxial input, and the DAP voume control is disabled in this scenario. I can't set Bal 2 volume beyond "1" (turbo off) and even that can be loud with certain albums. Besides switching from 4.4 balanced to 6.3 jack, which has higher THD and lower crosstalk specs., any other suggestions?

Sep 23, 2023 at 4:14 AM Post #44 of 66
@quaddac your suggestions to reduce source volume were very helpful as above. However I now am connecting my HiBy RS6 DAP's coaxial output to the Bal 2 coaxial input, and the DAP voume control is disabled in this scenario. I can't set Bal 2 volume beyond "1" (turbo off) and even that can be loud with certain albums. Besides switching from 4.4 balanced to 6.3 jack, which has higher THD and lower crosstalk specs., any other suggestions?
My hiby r6 2020 is in the service center now, usb, line bal and unbal can be adjusted, but now I don't remember what it is like with the coax output. My player won't be back until 2 weeks later.

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #45 of 66
My hiby r6 2020 is in the service center now, usb, line bal and unbal can be adjusted, but now I don't remember what it is like with the coax output. My player won't be back until 2 weeks later.
RS6 does not allow hardware volume control with coax output. However, over in the RS6 thread the suggestion was that I use HiBy Music or UAPP software volume control to reduce gain. The problem is I use UAPP in bit perfect mode and I have to toggle that off to use software volume. Software volume is lossy as well of course. So for now I am just using coax. connection with XD05 Bal 2 volume at 1, and levels are generally good. Thankfully, unlike some amps. I do not notice any channel imbalance on low volume pot. settings with XD05 Bal 2, which is great news given the low setting I need to use with coax. connection.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic when you get your R6 2020 back @quaddac, as coax. connection sounds the best and determining how best to optimize volume when using it would be great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back