XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Feb 24, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #1,561 of 2,100
Hello
I'm from France
I bought a 1 year ago a Burson 5 Vi. I just fixed it on my xduoo-05 amp.
But i need some help from thé community Head-fi. Since i fixed the Burson 5Vi, i have a small problem on my Xduoo-05. When i turn the front button "GAIN" on the last position (third position) , there is Big noise and the Xduoo stop the music. I must turn it back to the second position... to continu listing music. Have you any idea about this problèm. How Can i could resolve this problem. Could somebody help me?
Is it a problem of too much power ?
Best regards
Zati
Nb:sorry for my english.
A bientôt.

Not sure if this will help, but: you can't use high gain AND bass boost on the V5i. Check bass boost is turned off.
Good luck!

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #1,563 of 2,100
I can get it to run both if I let it warm up for a while, but if you have a set that needs bass boosted, I'm usually fine leaving it on medium gain.

Same, I have no need for the high gain setting.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,564 of 2,100
Any tips on removing the battery without making it explode?
I have been attempting to re-solder the USB port only to fail horribly because I am a noob and terrified of getting to close to the battery. Currently the USB on my unit is non functional at this time and have been resorting to either Aux input or using the bluetooth adapter.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,565 of 2,100
Hi, quite new to op amp rolling here, I owned a Asus Essence STX, the op amp inside it is a JRC 2114D, I was wondering whether I can swap this JRC 2114D to use with the Xduoo XD-05.. Curious to test how it will sound..anyone know whether Is it compatible to swap without damaging the XDUOO? Curious to find out how OPA 1612 and JRC2114D sound differently..
Thanks

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #1,566 of 2,100
V5i-D is indeed a superbly musical opamp in XD-05.

The soundstage and imaging is superb, the balance in highs especially is what I like the most. They are extended enough, yet they never become harsh or sibilant and have a pretty good detail resolution in the highs.

I find V5i-D to be a bit mid/lower-mid focussed. I like this pairing with my DT1990(A) which is a bit mid recessed but I like OPA2209 over V5i-D any day. V5i-D is musical, fun and forgiving. OPA2209 is resolving, revealing, pretty extended and detailed and soundstage depth is like none other.

For me personally, OPA2209, OPA1612 and Burson V5i-D are best opamps in XD-05 for different kinds of sounds. Other opamps I tried are all inferior comparatively

Hi.. I'm a fan of flat and neutral, by stock XDUOO XD-05 OPA1612 sounded good to me.. And heard many review said the sound from stock 1612 is flat enough? Will upgrading to this Burson V5i D change the overall signature away from flat and neutrality? Or is it better? I do not wish the Burson V5i to colour the sound but does it? Heard many reviews said after the upgrade to V5i the sound is fun and musical? Does it mean it colours the sound?

Really quite tempted to do some upgrade to improve the sound though..
The gears I'm using is ATH M40x with Android USB Audio Player Pro Bit Perfect

Thanks and hope for your honest opinion before I decide whether to purchase

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #1,567 of 2,100
Hi.. I'm a fan of flat and neutral, by stock XDUOO XD-05 OPA1612 sounded good to me.. And heard many review said the sound from stock 1612 is flat enough? Will upgrading to this Burson V5i D change the overall signature away from flat and neutrality? Or is it better? I do not wish the Burson V5i to colour the sound but does it? Heard many reviews said after the upgrade to V5i the sound is fun and musical? Does it mean it colours the sound?

Compared to how it sounds with LME49720 and OPA2209, OPA1612 (Stock) is certainly not neutral

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #1,568 of 2,100
It's

It's been a while since I had the stock opamps in, but I'll try to remember. :darthsmile:
The V5i's open up the soundstage, and have much better dynamic range and resolution. They really transform the XD-05 from a good DAC/AMP into an amazing one. It pairs well with all of my headphones, and my Pinnacle P1s (among other IEMs). I don't think they color the sound (other than maybe a bit of warmth, but nothing major) -- it's mostly about better performance. I think when people say they're more musical, they mean that it's like going from a little room to a big hall. It was my favorite DAC/AMP until I recently got the Burson Playmate, but that's a lot more expensive and a much different use case.

If you have the XD-05, I would also highly recommend the Bluetooth unit. It has great sound and makes the XD-05 much easier to use (and no fiddly cables to worry about or RF interference with your source).

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,569 of 2,100
Is there any other discreete op-amps that are better than stock? I know everyone rocks Burson but I had bad luck with my first one not working and I want to still have bass boost and high gain mode work.

I love the soundstage/bass/and that tiny bit of holographic sound the stock op-amp has. But I’m wondering if theres something similar that has tamed down highs and maybe a forward projecting soundstage?

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #1,570 of 2,100
Is there any other discreete op-amps that are better than stock? I know everyone rocks Burson but I had bad luck with my first one not working and I want to still have bass boost and high gain mode work.

I love the soundstage/bass/and that tiny bit of holographic sound the stock op-amp has. But I’m wondering if theres something similar that has tamed down highs and maybe a forward projecting soundstage?
OPA1652

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #1,571 of 2,100
@imran27 If you were going for holography above all else, which OA would you rec? And does your capacitor mod make a difference here as well?

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #1,572 of 2,100
@imran27 If you were going for holography above all else, which OA would you rec? And does your capacitor mod make a difference here as well?
For holography I would go for OPA2209, adding a Nichicon VZ goes a step further in soundstage, increases low end and reduces the treble. With OPA1652 I go for Nichicon PW which is neutral, fast and opens up the top end a little bit.

For absolute best holography, I would go discrete. V5i provides good holography - trick is to use low gain while power up and after a minute, switch to high gain if needed.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #1,573 of 2,100
For holography I would go for OPA2209, adding a Nichicon VZ goes a step further in soundstage, increases low end and reduces the treble. With OPA1652 I go for Nichicon PW which is neutral, fast and opens up the top end a little bit.

For absolute best holography, I would go discrete. V5i provides good holography - trick is to use low gain while power up and after a minute, switch to high gain if needed.

Thanks so much for the quick and informative reply! We're lucky to have you in this thread!!!

For anyone interested in Imran27's capacitor mod, he has provided plenty of details, with images showing exactly what he has done on page 95 of this thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-xd-05-portable-dac-amp-introduction-impressions.789886/page-95

For the images, use the link to Google images within that page.

Mar 2, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #1,574 of 2,100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back