XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #1,531 of 2,100
Sorry for any confusion...I guess I am looking for a skin, rather than a case. I just want something that protects this guy when it is on the desktop.
Not sure what you want to protect it from, but I bought some of those soft rubber self-adhesive feet to put on the bottom to keep it from sliding around. That was my biggest issue. I use it at work and it sits next to my computer underneath my monitor, so I'm not throwing things at it, but the USB cable would still cause it to move where I didn't want it.

Oct 9, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,532 of 2,100
Well, I spent an hour last night stealing everyone's phones (and having to explain to each one What a headphone amp was lol). It was affected by 3/6 phones in the house.

Then I noticed I could make the issue worse by touching various parts of the chassis, which sounds a lot like a ground issue. So I searched this thread for "ground" and found a bunch of posts talking about grounding issues with these. For example:

I opened mine up and sure enough, I had 1/3 ground points scraped.

ZKDeiBz.jpg

NTTLxF3.jpg

I scraped them, unfortunately this didn't stop the interference, but maybe that solves some problem that I didn't notice yet.

Also checked the opamp. It was secure, but thank you for the suggestion.

So for now I guess I'll live with it, and plan to get the Bluetooth add-on. Honestly this thing is so thicc that even if I didn't have this issue, I probably would have never strapped it to my phone (the Note 5 big enough as is)...but that grass looks greener.

Sooo wasn't aware of the bluetooth adapter. Thank you for mentioning it... now I have to buy it X-D

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,533 of 2,100
Sorry for any confusion...I guess I am looking for a skin, rather than a case. I just want something that protects this guy when it is on the desktop.

In terms of skins, I don't think there is a specific skin for the XD05. I have seen people wrap anti-slip drawer liner around the amp and secure it with silicone bands.

I was also looking for one that looked more tailored to the amp and ordered this skin for a portable battery pack on Aliexpress. Looks kinda like this.
Xiaomi-Powerbank-Case-for-5000-10000-16000-20000-mAh-Mi-Power-Bank-Silicon-Case-Rubber-Cover.jpg

The one with the closest dimensions seems to be the one for the YDDYP01. The only thing I'm concerned about is covering the vent holes so I might try to cut out some holes of my own. It will probably be a month before I get it and can test it, but I'll update when it arrives.

Sooo wasn't aware of the bluetooth adapter. Thank you for mentioning it... now I have to buy it X-D

Yea it looks really convenient, and as Mouseman said, it would solve the problem of EMI if your XD05 is sensitive to it. I wish they sold the volume knob guard separately though. That seems useful regardless of bluetooth.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #1,535 of 2,100
Has anyone put a burson v5i amp in this? I just got mine today and it instantly goes into protect mode on my xduoo xd-05. I tried all the gain settings and no luck.

I put it in reverse and protect mode doesn't come on, but no audio works.
I put the stock amp back in and it works fine so nothing seems damaged.

I don't get why the protect mode kicks in once it's put in the correct way..the protect mode also kicks on if theres no amp connected.I was wondering if when its put in the right way if its just not seeing the amp? But if that was the problem I'm guessing it would do the same thing when put in the wrong way.

**I put the amp on a breadboard and then used wires to attach it to the XDUOO. I found that the top left pin is the problem. Once it gets plugged in it goes into protect mode. No other pin did this beside this one. I'm guessing the amp may be bad or something weird is going on.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #1,536 of 2,100
Has anyone put a burson v5i amp in this? I just got mine today and it instantly goes into protect mode on my xduoo xd-05. I tried all the gain settings and no luck.

I put it in reverse and protect mode doesn't come on, but no audio works.
I put the stock amp back in and it works fine so nothing seems damaged.

I don't get why the protect mode kicks in once it's put in the correct way..the protect mode also kicks on if theres no amp connected.I was wondering if when its put in the right way if its just not seeing the amp? But if that was the problem I'm guessing it would do the same thing when put in the wrong way.

**I put the amp on a breadboard and then used wires to attach it to the XDUOO. I found that the top left pin is the problem. Once it gets plugged in it goes into protect mode. No other pin did this beside this one. I'm guessing the amp may be bad or something weird is going on.
A lot of people have reported that the Xduoo will go into protect mode if opamp is swapped and the amp is in high gain. I don’t think it can drive high-impedance headphones really well so that isn’t a problem anyway

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #1,537 of 2,100
A lot of people have reported that the Xduoo will go into protect mode if opamp is swapped and the amp is in high gain. I don’t think it can drive high-impedance headphones really well so that isn’t a problem anyway

It goes into protect mode no matter what you do. I can hear very faint and heavily distorted audio if I turn up the volume all the way if I take out which I think is pin #8 which is a no connect pin if I'm figuring everything out right. Which is weird cause if its that pin its a no connect pin where nothing is supposed to be matter..but once that gets plugged in it goes into protect mode instantly.

I bought it from an online vendor , not from Burson directly. I'm trying to figure out if maybe I was sent a faulty or burnt out version or if my XDUOO just won't work with that cheap (which sucks!!!) .

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #1,538 of 2,100
It goes into protect mode no matter what you do. I can hear very faint and heavily distorted audio if I turn up the volume all the way if I take out which I think is pin #8 which is a no connect pin if I'm figuring everything out right. Which is weird cause if its that pin its a no connect pin where nothing is supposed to be matter..but once that gets plugged in it goes into protect mode instantly.

I bought it from an online vendor , not from Burson directly. I'm trying to figure out if maybe I was sent a faulty or burnt out version or if my XDUOO just won't work with that cheap (which sucks!!!) .

I bought a couple of v5i from a german reseller on eBay and I put one in my XD-05 and for me it goes in protect mode only when in high gain AND bass boost. Maybe the impedance of the load (earphones/headphones) is also a factor, I only use IEMs with it.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #1,539 of 2,100
I bought a couple of v5i from a german reseller on eBay and I put one in my XD-05 and for me it goes in protect mode only when in high gain AND bass boost. Maybe the impedance of the load (earphones/headphones) is also a factor, I only use IEMs with it.

We can rule out the headphones cause the test is done with and without them.
Tried all the gains
Tried with and without bass boost
Tried different connection modes
I tried it with and without the metal case.
I unplugged the battery in case it could of done some sort of reset in case it was somehow related to that.

So far it has basically come down to as soon I plug in that 8th pin it instantly goes into protect mode. I could be misreading everything and maybe that 8th pin isn't a no contact pin.
I have a feeling it has to do something with the voltage, like its just not getting it or maybe its broken or this particular model with my luck just isn't going to work with Bursons no matter what... which sucks since its what I bought this for.

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #1,540 of 2,100
We can rule out the headphones cause the test is done with and without them.
Tried all the gains
Tried with and without bass boost
Tried different connection modes
I tried it with and without the metal case.
I unplugged the battery in case it could of done some sort of reset in case it was somehow related to that.

So far it has basically come down to as soon I plug in that 8th pin it instantly goes into protect mode. I could be misreading everything and maybe that 8th pin isn't a no contact pin.
I have a feeling it has to do something with the voltage, like its just not getting it or maybe its broken or this particular model with my luck just isn't going to work with Bursons no matter what... which sucks since its what I bought this for.
Post pictures of the opp amp, box it came in and the unit. Iv had no issues with mine at all.

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,542 of 2,100
Here are a few pics. I should probably redo the bottom piece photo. But let me know if you see anything odd. I can even make a short video showing how it goes into protect mode instantly.

Mine look the same yours might bad. Mine are straight from Burson and I have many as they sent me some for review after I had purchased v5 in the past for my stx. I can turn it on in any gain lvl and it does not cause a protect I have had one before with the v5 or v6 in their if I start it on higher then low gain though. But other then those two never seen the message as rule of thumb I click it over and keep it at lowest volume till sound is finally sent through the amp portion then I raise it to the desired lvl. I just tried cranking it it though and can't get it to flip to protect. Did yours come with this sticker on the top of the box sealing it?
20181021_130644.jpg 20181021_130649.jpg 20181021_125609.jpg 20181021_125654.jpg 20181021_125756.jpg 20181021_125806.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,543 of 2,100
Mine look the same yours might bad. Mine are straight from Burson and I have many as they sent me some for review after I had purchased v5 in the past for my stx. I can turn it on in any gain lvl and it does not cause a protect I have had one before with the v5 or v6 in their if I start it on higher then low gain though. But other then those two never seen the message as rule of thumb I click it over and keep it at lowest volume till sound is finally sent through the amp portion then I raise it to the desired lvl. I just tried cranking it it though and can't get it to flip to protect. Did yours come with this sticker on the top of the box sealing it?

No, mine did not come with any sticker on it. I bought it from a reseller so I’m guessing maybe they had 2 burson amps in it but decided to sell one.

I guess I’ll just have to spend money getting a real burson amp unless theres something out there thats better?? Kind of sucks cause now the money I’m spending on everything is adding up real quickly.

Oct 21, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,544 of 2,100
No, mine did not come with any sticker on it. I bought it from a reseller so I’m guessing maybe they had 2 burson amps in it but decided to sell one.

I guess I’ll just have to spend money getting a real burson amp unless theres something out there thats better?? Kind of sucks cause now the money I’m spending on everything is adding up real quickly.
You cant return yours? Because if it is bad once you connect a pin then it is defective regardless it would seem. Perhaps Burson them selves would warranty it if you go to the warranty info link?

Dec 2, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #1,545 of 2,100
Regarding the 05BL bluetooth adapter for the XD-05.

I am unsure if anyone else has experienced this, but I have recreated the issue twice. Be careful not to switch between several devices without properly disconnecting the bluetooth adapter and then reconnecting it. If you switch between to many devices before properly disconnecting and then reconnecting the device, it will soft brick the 05BL. It will not turn on, it will not turn off, it will not even charge when it does this. You will have no lights what so ever and the device will be seemingly broken for several days. It essentially goes into a mode to where it is neither on, nor off and you cannot get the device to function until it successfully drains the battery for a few days and then will finally "turn off". At that point, the unit can be used as normal, after charging of course.

I am sure that there can probably be a mod implemented somehow to disconnect the battery temporarily and then re-connect it. But this isn't something I have looked into as I do not want to ruin my 05BL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back