XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Oct 4, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #1,517 of 2,099

Attachments

• IMG_20181004_232744.jpg
    IMG_20181004_232744.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #1,519 of 2,099
Oct 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,520 of 2,099
Has anyone here have compared side-by-side xDuoo XD-05 and FiiO E17K Alpen 2? Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Fiio E17K Alpen 2 since it can be charged while being used.

I used to have an xDuoo XD-05 but sold it before. Anyways I'll be using it mainly for my PC to drive my Sennheiser HD598.

And who said that xd05 can not be to charge while using?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,524 of 2,099
My experience is the total opposite, but then again, I have a Burson in it. :k701smile:

I think the Burson V5i should be a required upgrade when buying the XD-05. If someone is on here considering buying this wonderful amp, you MUST get the op-amp as well. Wonderful sound.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #1,525 of 2,099
Hey guys, I recently bought a secondhand XD05 and while testing it with my Samsung Note 5 I am getting a ton of interference noise intermittently, even if its not connected to the phone. It just has to be within inches of it. Wondering whether I should return it, since this seems like odd behavior for a portable amp. Does anyone else experienced this?

Edit: Also does it with an Iphone 6 so it's not specific to my phone.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,526 of 2,099
Hey guys, I recently bought a secondhand XD05 and while testing it with my Samsung Note 5 I am getting a ton of interference noise intermittently, even if its not connected to the phone. It just has to be within inches of it. Wondering whether I should return it, since this seems like odd behavior for a portable amp. Does anyone else experienced this?

As wonderful as the Xduoo is, the RF shielding is total crap. You'll get that effect with anything using Wi-Fi or cellular. The new Bluetooth module is sort of a fix - you don't have to have the phone that close. It mostly seems to be on top or bottom where I get bad interference. Next to the unit seems OK.

I wish I knew how to shield it better. Tin foil?

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #1,527 of 2,099

I had this issue really bad one time when I dropped mine. I took it apart and made sure the opamp was securely pushed all the way down and most of the interference disappeared. If you do end up taking it apart though, there is a metal "button" on the board that you have to make sure is pushed down to slide the unit back in. Not difficult but can make you think you messed up if you aren't aware of it.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #1,528 of 2,099
As wonderful as the Xduoo is, the RF shielding is total crap. You'll get that effect with anything using Wi-Fi or cellular. The new Bluetooth module is sort of a fix - you don't have to have the phone that close. It mostly seems to be on top or bottom where I get bad interference. Next to the unit seems OK.

I wish I knew how to shield it better. Tin foil?

Well, I spent an hour last night stealing everyone's phones (and having to explain to each one What a headphone amp was lol). It was affected by 3/6 phones in the house.

Then I noticed I could make the issue worse by touching various parts of the chassis, which sounds a lot like a ground issue. So I searched this thread for "ground" and found a bunch of posts talking about grounding issues with these. For example:
I collected some information and according to that;

*It does not matter if you have black or silver xd-05. At first I thought that black xd-05 must not affected from this issue because I thought that factory already know that black painted metal is not conductive so that they scraped black main body regardless of color. And they thought that silver back and front is not painted so they must be conductive. However; they are not (anodized?). I honestly do not know why they only scraped the main body and not black back and front in black xd-05. [According to Hansolo, I can say that some or all black xd-05's ground is set up correctly. Read his comment:

I don't have any pictures of that from when I upgraded to my Burson V5i. I can say that all the areas where the pins would make contact to the outer housing, in my black XD-05, the anodizing had been scraped off for a better contact point. I noticed it on the front plate, back plate, and center housing piece.

I hope that helps. ]

This is the main point. We are doing a thing that xduoo factory supposed to do.
*2 of 3 grounds are not set up. Only charging ground is set up properly. You can scrape too it if you want but I don't think it will change any thing. But you can take it too just to use as an example for scraping.
*I just scraped with a screwdriver. There are a few things that you need to take care:

*The perfect scraping is *not scraping* but drilling. You can put a dome-shaped hole for the golden pin. Notice that it does not matter how much you scraped the area; the whole part except surface is conductive. Scraping like a rectangle or a planar way may lead to unwanted situations (Parts should not connect electrically! Refer to 3 below)
*If you use a screwdriver ; hold it like you hold a pencil. You do not want to break the glass at front panel.
*Put the inside(pcb) away. You only need back and front panel and if you want, the main case.
*When you are done,
1) You can test it with a multimeter. And with the method I described at previous post if you want to use your ear not a multimeter.
2) You need to carefully clean the surrounded area. There will be a lot of metal particles and if they get into the main board; you may end up with a short cut xd-05 :)
3) Double check that you did not mistakenly scratch front; back and main cases connected areas. If they are scratched mutually cut small pieces of electric tape and put it to affected area.

I opened mine up and sure enough, I had 1/3 ground points scraped.

ZKDeiBz.jpg

NTTLxF3.jpg

I scraped them, unfortunately this didn't stop the interference, but maybe that solves some problem that I didn't notice yet.

I had this issue really bad one time when I dropped mine. I took it apart and made sure the opamp was securely pushed all the way down and most of the interference disappeared. If you do end up taking it apart though, there is a metal "button" on the board that you have to make sure is pushed down to slide the unit back in. Not difficult but can make you think you messed up if you aren't aware of it.

Also checked the opamp. It was secure, but thank you for the suggestion.

So for now I guess I'll live with it, and plan to get the Bluetooth add-on. Honestly this thing is so thicc that even if I didn't have this issue, I probably would have never strapped it to my phone (the Note 5 big enough as is)...but that grass looks greener.

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,530 of 2,099
Okay, have an issue I hope someone can help me with.

I am trying to use this in my bedroom. My main setup is a Windows 10 PC, using Roon, along with Pro-ject S2 Digital as my main DAC.

In my bedroom, I have a Chromecast audio, attached using Evergreen adapter, to a wired connection.

When I first hooked up the XDuoo to the Chromecast and Roon, it worked fine, whether I used the Aux in or Digital In. Now, no matter what I do, I am getting no sound at all when I use the Digital in, but I still get sound from the Aux In. I want to use this as a DAC and AMP, so want to use the Digital In.

When I use the Digital In, I slide the input switch all the way to the left (1st position).

Kind of stuck on troubleshooting - could use some help. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back