XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jul 30, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #1,156 of 2,100
I have found something.

If I slap the device, sometimes it works until closing and reopening it.

I really do not know what to do. Can I fix this myself? Or should I send it back for free repair. But shipping it to China costs so much.

Jul 30, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,157 of 2,100
I am not sure if someone asked this question here before, if yes please direct me to that. I got my XDuoo XD-05 today from Massdrop and I was trying to play DSD file using Audirvana Plus 3. The DAC spec says it support Native DSD but looks like the DAC only works if I use DOP (Convert to PCM) or am I doing something wrong?

In the normal mode with DSD automatic detection - DSD 64, 128, 256 is greyed out.
Auto Detect Native DSD
9941766_thumb.png

Initial dCS method
9941767_thumb.png

1. USB/SPDIF: 20Hz~20KHz (±0.5dB)
  2. Sampling rate support: USB
  3. PCM:16-32BIT/44.1-384KHZ
  4. DSD: DOP/NATIVE mode, DSD64-256 (1bit/2.8M-11.2M)
  5. DXD:BIT/352.8-384KHZ 24-32
I assume native - means the DAC should be understanding the player DSD out without transforming to PCM, is my understanding wrong?

There is an option on Audirvana Plus to use Initial dCS method and it is detecting DSD 64 and 128 but the DSD 256 - nope.

Can any one help? Does xDuoo only does DSD over PCM via USB?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #1,159 of 2,100
I'm currently running this amp with a pair of Grado Sr225's. At first I was using this over USB with the latest drivers for W10. All worked well, but I couldn't set anything over 16-bit 44KHz without horrible crackle from any music player (Foobar, Google Play, VLC, etc.). Decided to switch to the optical input, and run optical out from my Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium, and all is well. No crackle at 24-Bit 96KHz, which is the max most of my FLAC files are recorded at. The clarity is astounding. I feel like i'm standing right next to the microphone.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,160 of 2,100
I'm currently running this amp with a pair of Grado Sr225's. At first I was using this over USB with the latest drivers for W10. All worked well, but I couldn't set anything over 16-bit 44KHz without horrible crackle from any music player (Foobar, Google Play, VLC, etc.). Decided to switch to the optical input, and run optical out from my Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium, and all is well. No crackle at 24-Bit 96KHz, which is the max most of my FLAC files are recorded at. The clarity is astounding. I feel like i'm standing right next to the microphone.
The crackle happens when you start a new song right? It happened to many of my low-end DACs

Aug 3, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #1,161 of 2,100
The crackle happens when you start a new song right? It happened to many of my low-end DACs

It was actually randomly throughout the song. If I skipped back a bit it wouldn't crackle in the same place in the song. I think it may have either been the quality of the cable, port noise caused by my PC, or a combination of the two.

Aug 4, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #1,163 of 2,100
Seems that way. Have you tried the XD05 with another computer or another USB cable? Anyway if my memory serves this one has 2 separate DAC chips for USB and coax/opt, so the problem might be more severe than just USB

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,167 of 2,100
Thanks for the feedback! By the way that was my first post here, I really like this forum.

Oh I have another question, being a hifi noob. I have a cheap internal sound card (Asus Xonar DGX). It does have a digital output. I'm guessing its DAC is quite bad but what about the digital out? What would be the cleanest signal, USB or that digital out? (It's an optical out to be more precise)

Also, would this DAC improve my sound if I connect the computer to it, use it as DAC and then send the analogue signal to my ordinary loudspeaker amplifier? Theoretically it should, right?

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #1,168 of 2,100
My good people... while I have and continue to enjoy the XD-05 (with Burson opamp), I recently purchased the IFI IDSD BL. Yes it costs A LOT more (even on some sales it doesn't usually go below $380). That said, it's worth every penny. If any of you are thinking about stepping up from the XD-05, I can't recommend the IDSD BL enough. If any of you are considering the XD-05, if you can, save up some more and take a good long look at the IDSD BL. Immediately, out of the box, it sounds better. Some reports say burn in could take up to 200 hours, but even without that, it is a very noticeable ugrade.

Aug 15, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,169 of 2,100
Having issues with my DAC, my left side is louder than my right, has anyone encountered this?

EDIT: Fixed... My mistake, accidentally lowered my right side by 7dB

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,170 of 2,100
Hi all!
I am a happy owner of this talented dac/amp able to play DSD256 and DXD 352KHz/24bit files in my win 8.1 laptop using foobar. Only lately was I able to try 384KHz/32bit wavepack files. I have noticed that in the TUSBAudio Control Panel I am only limited up to 24 bit depth (please see images below). I was expecting 32 bit. Why is this so?

I have a similar issue, but I also noticed that in 24 bit output mode my files are being played at 48 kHz according to the front display, but when I switch to 16 bit mode, it went up to 192 kHz for every track I play.

*Edit* I tinkered with the playback options in JRiver and Foobar, and it outputs to the correct sample rate now. Still limited to 24 bit depth though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back