XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Jul 15, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,143 of 2,100
Stupid Windows 10 update ruined it for me! My laptop will no longer work with my Xd-05. It will no longer recognize the Thesycon Xmos driver for the Xd-05 (I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver to no avail) and instead shows xCore USB Audio 2.0 which is not working with the Xd-05. Instead of sound, I just get a loud and continuous clicking from the Xd-05. I've tried everything I can think of and find all to no avail and see the "device not migrate" message in the device manager. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions, it will be much appreciated.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #1,146 of 2,100
Anyone else having problems with the Windows 10 Creators update? Even with some kind of workaround for the Xmos driver, the best I can get is 16 bit 192khz. Anyone with a fix?
No problem here. Try to uninstall the drivers you have now and install these: http://www.xduoo.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TUSB_v3340.zip
They are signed. I don't know if it's going to help you but worth trying.
It was an update, not fresh install. Right? Fresh installed latest Windows 10 requires Microsoft signed drivers which don't exist for XD-05.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,147 of 2,100
No problem with 24/384 streaming with windows 10 version 1703.

Wow you can get 24/384 in your playback settings? I've never been able to get more than 24/192 through the windows controller.

No problem here. Try to uninstall the drivers you have now and install these: http://www.xduoo.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/TUSB_v3340.zip
They are signed. I don't know if it's going to help you but worth trying.
It was an update, not fresh install. Right? Fresh installed latest Windows 10 requires Microsoft signed drivers which don't exist for XD-05.

Yeah, it was an update. One day everything plays fine, the laptop updates overnight, the next day Thesycon isn't recognized, and the driver says X-core or something like that and if I try to play anything the Xd-05 starts clicking like mad. Whatever version of Xmos driver I try to install (even after turning the signing off) the best I can get is 16/192. Forget DSD. :frowning2:

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #1,150 of 2,100
What did you do? Post it, so others with similar problems can use the info.

Good idea. First, I downloaded from the link that you posted above for the signed driver.

Second, I went into Device manager and uninstalled the hardware under the Audion Inputs and Outputs grouping. Then I scrolled down and uninstalled the Xmos driver which you can find under the Universal Serial Bus drivers.

Third, I went and uninstalled the original Thesycon software/driver. I then searched for and deleted all files and folders in my C:\ that had any other version of an Xmos driver that could be mistaken by Windows as the driver to (which I think might have been a partial culprit) use . This includes an Xmos folder you will find on C;\, but not hardware specific drivers like that for my Cayin dap.

Lastly, I closely followed all of the instructions on the PDF for the signed driver and re-installed it. Voila, it works again!

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #1,151 of 2,100
I charged the xd-05 like I have always done. But now there is no sound at "phone" output.

I do not know if its related to charging but it happened after charge.

Line out at back is normal, so I think the problem is caused by the amp.

I opened the case and looked if the op amp fried. It looks fine. Everything looks fine... But I remember some people reported that if op amp is installed reversed, "PROTECT" should be seen in the screen. In my case, it does not matter how I install the op amp, xd-05 does not enter the PROTECT mode... Only if I remove the op amp I see PROTECT in the screen.

I would post photos of inside but my phone is broken.

What should I do now? Maybe I should send it back to China for repair, but I do not want to do this because I have soldering set and a multimeter. If I can understand the problem I can fix it myself.

I think I should buy a cheap op-amp to test if the op amp inside really died.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #1,152 of 2,100
I charged the xd-05 like I have always done. But now there is no sound at "phone" output.

I do not know if its related to charging but it happened after charge.

Line out at back is normal, so I think the problem is caused by the amp.

I opened the case and looked if the op amp fried. It looks fine. Everything looks fine... But I remember some people reported that if op amp is installed reversed, "PROTECT" should be seen in the screen. In my case, it does not matter how I install the op amp, xd-05 does not enter the PROTECT mode... Only if I remove the op amp I see PROTECT in the screen.

I would post photos of inside but my phone is broken.

What should I do now? Maybe I should send it back to China for repair, but I do not want to do this because I have soldering set and a multimeter. If I can understand the problem I can fix it myself.

I think I should buy a cheap op-amp to test if the op amp inside really died.

I think rather than the opamp, you might have a burned out capacitor somewhere in there. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but take a close look at the tops of the caps to see if any have something of a bulge on the top. That's not necessarily a foolproof method to see if a cap has gone bad, since some won't show that bulge, but it's something to look for.

Jul 23, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #1,153 of 2,100
I think rather than the opamp, you might have a burned out capacitor somewhere in there. Sometimes it's hard to tell, but take a close look at the tops of the caps to see if any have something of a bulge on the top. That's not necessarily a foolproof method to see if a cap has gone bad, since some won't show that bulge, but it's something to look for.

I have looked and I could not detect any bulge :/

I tried to play something at higher level and caps and the op amp became very warm. Does that mean they work and the problem is somewhere at output section?

Jul 23, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,154 of 2,100
I have looked and I could not detect any bulge :/

I tried to play something at higher level and caps and the op amp became very warm. Does that mean they work and the problem is somewhere at output section?

I would figure, that given current is going through them, that they would get warm. You might check to see if the soldering is ok as signal is passed to the output, but I'm not certain of that fix. SInce you have a multimeter, you can do some testing on the caps. Here's a link to an article describing how to do so:

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Troubleshhoting_logic_board_components

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #1,155 of 2,100
I would figure, that given current is going through them, that they would get warm. You might check to see if the soldering is ok as signal is passed to the output, but I'm not certain of that fix. SInce you have a multimeter, you can do some testing on the caps. Here's a link to an article describing how to do so:

https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Troubleshhoting_logic_board_components

While I trying to detect the problem, I inserted another headphone to the phone output and it worked! Then I inserted my generic headphone, it continued to work. After I closed the device and reopened it, it did not work again until I closed the display and opened it. JUst when I opened the screen it worked again...

Then I closed the device again. But now it does not work... For some reason if I close the screen and open it again or if I insert another headphone it just does not work.

Btw op amp voltage (V+ V-) was normal: 15~ volt.

I think the problem is with the output after amp section. If you insert a headphone to a amp you may hear a slight hissing. This means the channel is open (?).
But I do not hear this... (except the situations I have described above)

Now I am charging the device. I wonder if charging with 5.3V 2A fully will fix it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back