XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions
Nov 28, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #647 of 2,100
  Just received mine from gearbest.  2 things
1) is there a way to force usb1 mode?  my work computer does not except new drivers
2) how do you remove the volume knob to take off the front plate?

I'm having the same issue, could you solve thing number 1?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I could install the driver manually (select driver location at Device Manager) from the files located at C:\Thesycon right after the first executable file installation.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #649 of 2,100
Any comparisons to audio quest dragonfly red and black, and meridian explorer 2 much appreciated.

Hm XD05 sounds brighter, slightly leaner and more neutral than either of the Dragonflies to my ears. And much much MUCH more powerful. 

It's also much bigger and more transportable than portable.

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #653 of 2,100
EDIT: I could install the driver manually (select driver location at Device Manager) from the files located at C:\Thesycon right after the first executable file installation.

Can you specify? Which files? It would have helped me a lot.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #654 of 2,100

I would first like to thank Charles from SS-Audio for the chance to try out the V5i.

I am just an average user who appreciates good sound quality so here is some info and my review:

I was first drawn to the Xduoo XD-05 by the impressive technical sheet that goes with it; I am always looking for ways to make my audio sound better.  I started rolling operational amplifiers in my Little Dot I+ and was also drawn to the ability of the XD-05 in that respect.

To get a baseline, I listened to the XD-05 in stock form for a few hours just to get used to the sound.  I listened to a few songs from the genres that I like the most (rock, classic rock, and adult contemporary mostly) and then a few of my favorite songs a few times each.  I also switched between open, semi-open, and closed headphones during the baseline to get a wide range of experiences.

I then went to work installing the V5i.  The total install time took about 10 minutes.  Very simple other than carefully bending a couple of the capacitor to make room for the larger OP AMP.

First impression: WOW!!!

I've been rolling tubes and OP AMPS for a while trying to get the best sound combination so I am fairly used to carefully listening to hear the  subtle differences between configurations.

The difference was not subtle.  It was more like going from a black and white CRT television to an HD flat panel.

The first thing I noticed was how much wider the sound stage had become.  What I thought originally sounded good now seemed like the sound had been forced through a hallway before and now was in the wide open.  Using my Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 Ω) the sound seemed to be around me rather than just in my head.

The highs had opened up and become very crisp yet not too bright.  The mids were much clearer and defined.  There seemed a greater separation that just allowed for more clarity.  As for the lows, the bass was so much more controlled and defined.  There was more power and punch to it as well.  Tested with my Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 the sound totally made use of the Hi-Res capability of those headphones and brought them to life even more.

The Xduoo XD-05 is a great unit to start with, but I now feel that it is incomplete without adding the V5i.

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #656 of 2,100

Can you specify? Which files? It would have helped me a lot.

I'm checking on Windows Decive Manager.

The USB Device listed as XMOS USB 2.0 Audio Device is using this driver file:
- C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tusbaudio_x64.sys (located at fhe installation folder C:\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_v3.34.0\CustomizationKit\DriverPackages\XMOS_EVAL_KITS\DriverSetup\debug)

And the Audio Device listed as XMOS XS1-U8 MFA are using this files:
- C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys
- C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys
- C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys
- C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tusbaudiobks_x64.sys
- C:\Windows\system32\SysFxUI.dll
- C:\Windows\system32\WMALFXGFXDSP.sys

According to the Setup Instructions the first installer TUSBAudio_CustomizationKit_v3.34.0.exe creates the files at "C:\Thesycon", and C:\Thesycon is where the drivers file are located, this file path is the one I used to manually search for the drivers under Windows Device Manager and it found it by itself, I didn't had to manually select the files, the path C:\Thesycon was the only thing needed.

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #657 of 2,100
Hi I have a bit of a silly question.  I don't seem to have the right kind of screw driver to open the face plate.  Do I need a torx screwdriver?  And if so, what size should I get?

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #658 of 2,100
Hansolo76, was switching the Bursons in easy, or how likely or unlikely did it seem that something would break bending the capacitors out of the way. After the change was the unit way more musical in an involving foot tapping way or not,?

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #659 of 2,100
Strictly to DAC performance any comparisons to ODAC? Whats the price of the V5i Opamp?

I've only read about the ODAC, so I really have no personal knowledge.  As far as what I know, it is far superior to my old FiiO E18 Kunlun which was pretty good.  It also outclasses my ASUS Xonar Essence STX II.  Not by miles, but definitely better.

As far as the price of the V5i, I have only been able to find them on their site and they are $39 for one dual, $69 for two dual, and $49 for two single channel versions plus the $15 for the shipping from China to the US.  I believe the company is based out of Australia, but the shippments will come from China.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #660 of 2,100
  Hi I have a bit of a silly question.  I don't seem to have the right kind of screw driver to open the face plate.  Do I need a torx screwdriver?  And if so, what size should I get?

I used a Torx T6 to open mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back