XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
May 7, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #5,131 of 5,194
I wanted to share a mod I’ve been wanting to do for a while now.

A fellow HeadFier had a busted X3, which I bought for spare parts. It turns out it was silver (unbeknownst to me until it arrived). I’ve always wanted to do a hardware button swap, because the black buttons are so hard to see on the black X3.

I was planning on sand blasting my black buttons to the bare silver aluminum underneath, but now I don’t have to since I have a silver X3 to steal the buttons from!

Below are the results.

I also took pics of the silver one with black buttons, even though it doesn’t work. It’s just to show you what the silver looks like with black buttons.

Personally, I think xduoo should have done it like this from the factory. It definitely improves the look and usability. They could have used black buttons on the silver and gold X3, and silver or gold buttons on the black X3. It wouldn’t have cost them a cent more in manufacturing costs; just swapping the colors of the buttons around during final assembly.

Enjoy!

Final shot of the X3 in the DIY Nintendo DS case:
5BAECF1C-656E-4917-89D7-502A304F4712.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #5,132 of 5,194
hahah I hadn't listened to my x3 for a while and it was strapped to some fiio thing {a Kilimanjaro, I think...} sitting near me so I jacked in.... and logged into the forums and was notified of this, ..What a neat little mod... I can already tell that would help with low light button mashing..

May 22, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #5,133 of 5,194
I wanted to share a mod I’ve been wanting to do for a while now.

A fellow HeadFier had a busted X3, which I bought for spare parts. It turns out it was silver (unbeknownst to me until it arrived). I’ve always wanted to do a hardware button swap, because the black buttons are so hard to see on the black X3.

I was planning on sand blasting my black buttons to the bare silver aluminum underneath, but now I don’t have to since I have a silver X3 to steal the buttons from!

Below are the results.

I also took pics of the silver one with black buttons, even though it doesn’t work. It’s just to show you what the silver looks like with black buttons.

Personally, I think xduoo should have done it like this from the factory. It definitely improves the look and usability. They could have used black buttons on the silver and gold X3, and silver or gold buttons on the black X3. It wouldn’t have cost them a cent more in manufacturing costs; just swapping the colors of the buttons around during final assembly.

Enjoy!

Final shot of the X3 in the DIY Nintendo DS case:

Nice! Those look awesome.

May 30, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #5,134 of 5,194
To anyone that has accidentally broken off the volume buttons from their X3 after removing the circuit board.

I just got done fixing my broken X3. I had accidentally sheared off both volume buttons from the circuit board when I did the colored button swap mod. I was in a rush and I was not careful, so it was totally my fault.

Anyways, the total repair time was about 20-30 minutes. Total cost was $0.48usd. And best of all, the repair involves ZERO SOLDERING.

I repeat - NO SOLDERING WHATSOEVER.

The switches are made of 3 parts: the actual SMD micro switch, a plastic 'button' that pushes the switch, and a metal cover that goes over the plastic button. Think of it like a hamburger: the bottom bun is the SMD micro switch. The middle burger is the plastic 'button'. The top bun is the metal cover that sandwiches everything together.

Since the actual part that shears off is the middle part (the plastic 'button'), it's possible to harvest the plastic 'button' from GOOD switches, and transplant them into the stock broken switch. And all this requires no soldering.

You will also need some crazy powerful magnification. I used reading glasses AND a pair of jeweler's optivisors (available from Amazon, and are helpful for all sorts of things). You could also perhaps use a digital microscope. But there's no way you can do this with the naked eye. The parts are smaller than a grain of rice.

If you break anything, it's not my fault. Do it at your own risk. However, since this is intended to help you repair an already broken/worthless X3, what do you have to lose?

Basically, the steps I followed were:

1. Order the correct switches from Aliexpress ($1 for 5pcs). The part # you want to order (from this seller at least) is AJ-070: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pow...-515-520-525-Nokia-8800-6288/32630894610.html

The size of the actual switch is 3.5mm (L) x 3.5mm (W) x 1.3mm (H), as seen below:

2. Once they arrived, I carefully disassembled the actual switches. To do this you gently pry the metal tabs on 1 end of the switch's metal top cover (ie the 'top bun') using a sewing needle or syringe needle. The only part we're saving for reuse is the grey plastic thing in the middle (ie the same part that shears off on the X3). This is the 'middle burger' in my analogy above. Also, don't BEND the heck out of the metal tabs, but rather just apply just enough gentle prying pressure that they 'spring up' and unlock.

3. Use the appropriate screwdriver (with Torx bit, etc) to remove the circuit board (including disconnecting the battery).

4. Now CAREFULLY pry the metal tabs from the metal cover (ie the 'top bun') of the stock X3's broken switches using a sewing needle or syringe needle. The metal cover will pop off on 1 side only. Use the tweezers and remove the cover totally and set aside. Be careful not to break the body of the stock switch! Also, don't BEND the heck out of the metal tabs, but rather just apply just enough gentle prying pressure that they 'spring up' and unlock.

5. Now use your tweezers and remove the broken plastic piece (ie the 'middle burger').

6. Take the GOOD plastic piece that you removed from the NEW switches in step 2 above, and using the tweezers insert them into place in the switch (ie the 'middle burger'). Note the orientation of the plastic switch. Be careful not to install it upside down! Carefully look at one of the 3 NIB Aliexpress switches to see what direction the plastic button goes!!

7a. Replace the metal cover (ie the 'top bun') that you removed in step 4 back onto the stock switch. Be aware of the direction it goes. It only goes on 1 correct direction! Carefully look at one of the 3 NIB Aliexpress switches to see what direction the metal cover goes on. In the very center of the metal cover, there's a metal 'tongue' that bends down. This metal tongue must be pointing in the correct direction for the switch to function properly. Again, double check one of the 3 NIB Aliexpress switches to see what direction the metal cover goes on!! You can see the metal 'tongue' in the photos below.

7b. Assuming you didn't bend the tabs of the metal cover, it will snap right back onto the stock switch. It will be helpful to attach it at an angle - hooking the metal tabs from one side (using the tweezers) at a 45 degree angle. Then swing the metal cover down and snap the metal tabs on the other side of the switch. If that sounds confusing, think of it like how you close a toilet seat.

8. Once both stock X3 switches are repaired, CAREFULLY reinstall the circuit board. MAKE SURE NOT TO BREAK THE VOLUME SWITCHES AGAIN! If you do happen to break the volume switches again, no worries. Just repeat steps 2-8 again (since you bought 5 switches, you have 3 extras).

9. Reconnect the battery and replace the back of the X3.

10. Turn it on and test everything. It should be working perfectly again!

Sorry I didn't take any pics. The size of these parts are soooooo small, I wasn't really able to photograph the process.

Here's photos of the switches below. In the photos, you can make out the metal tabs from the top cover, the plastic button, etc.

See how the metal tongue bends back on only 1 specific direction? Make sure you put it back that exact same way!!!

1.png
2.png

I hope this is helpful to someone else! I know there's been a number of people that have broken their X3. Some have even tried to resolder new switches and managed to break it even more (it's a very difficult solder job).​

Attachments

• AJ-070 xduoo X3 Switch.png
    AJ-070 xduoo X3 Switch.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #5,135 of 5,194
Where can I get a replacement battery for X3?
Do you know if there is a possibility to apply higher capacity battery?

Additionally, I would like to replace Torx screw with Philips-type.What type of thread is used in back screws?

X3 with Rockbox is still one of the most comfortable DAP with nice sound quality. Frankly saying, the difference between Shanling M3s and X3 is small enough, but Xduoo is far more user-friendly with Rockbox.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #5,136 of 5,194
Where can I get a replacement battery for X3?
Do you know if there is a possibility to apply higher capacity battery?

Additionally, I would like to replace Torx screw with Philips-type.What type of thread is used in back screws?

X3 with Rockbox is still one of the most comfortable DAP with nice sound quality. Frankly saying, the difference between Shanling M3s and X3 is small enough, but Xduoo is far more user-friendly with Rockbox.

This aliexpress link was provided by someone
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-l...ttery-mp4-MP5-PSP-navigation/32816493191.html

Penonaudio may also stock them but they don't list them on their website, contact them via email.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #5,137 of 5,194
A while back someone found that the battery from the Samsung phone also fitted x3...and this was on the UK ebay site....can't remember the model ....where you based at..

Jun 9, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #5,138 of 5,194
Penonaudio may also stock them but they don't list them on their website, contact them via email.

Right, that was me - about a year ago I contacted them via email and they were able to create a custom order for me and send me exactly the right battery with the right connector and the adhesive tape ready to go so it only took a few minutes to replace. I had spent about a month researching alternative battery options (none of which were an easy drop-in replacement) leading up to that. Maybe there's a better solution now, but my experience with Penonaudio was great at the time.

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #5,139 of 5,194
To anyone that has accidentally broken off the volume buttons from their X3 after removing the circuit board.

Slater... my man

It probably seems like a small thing but you truly have NO idea how much this amazingly timely post has brightened my day.

Been lurking here for a while and this isn't the first time I've benefited from one of your posts. Without a doubt you are one of the most friendly, helpful, and resourceful people on this forum, so I just had to speak up and say THANK YOU for all your contributions. Know that your work here is much appreciated.

Should our paths ever cross the first one's on me. Stay gold bro :)

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #5,140 of 5,194
Slater... my man

It probably seems like a small thing but you truly have NO idea how much this amazingly timely post has brightened my day.

Been lurking here for a while and this isn't the first time I've benefited from one of your posts. Without a doubt you are one of the most friendly, helpful, and resourceful people on this forum, so I just had to speak up and say THANK YOU for all your contributions. Know that your work here is much appreciated.

Should our paths ever cross the first one's on me. Stay gold bro :)

Thanks friend, I appreciate that. I’m always glad to help out my fellow HeadFiers :)

If your volume buttons broke off and you were able to use my instructions to fix your X3, be sure to post back and give us an update how it worked out for you!

And if you have trouble fixing the buttons along the way and you’re stuck on something, lemme know and I’ll do what I can to help.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #5,141 of 5,194
I have tested the battery, 12h of continuous playing with FA1, so replacement is fortunately not necessary. Maybe if something with higher capacity capable of fitting inside the DAP would be available I could consider an order.

Other question: How does X3 I stand against Nano D3 and X3 II? As I read the younger brothers use soft based on HiBy and is somewhat similar to Shanling DAPs: M1, M2s and M3s.
Does anyone of them keep similar sound signature as the first X3?

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #5,142 of 5,194
Hello to all, today my X3 has failed, the screen is black, the playing is normal but nothing is displayed on the screen, i think this one is dead.
I tried a reset but it does not change anything.
Any idea to try resolve by myself ?

Thank you.

Jun 11, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #5,143 of 5,194
Hello to all, today my X3 has failed, the screen is black, the playing is normal but nothing is displayed on the screen, i think this one is dead.
I tried a reset but it does not change anything.
Any idea to try resolve by myself ?

Thank you.

So it's just the screen is not working?

Jun 11, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #5,145 of 5,194
Yes, this is right, only the screen don't works.

Gotcha. Well, if you are handy with soldering you could replace the screen (or you could have a local electronics shop do it). It’s just a standard OLED screen; nothing special. As long as the replacement was the same size it would work fine.

I remember there was a HeadFier way back when the X3 first came out, who replaced their X3 screen with a totally different one (I can’t remember if it was color, or just brighter, or a different color instead of blue, or what). He posted photos of the completed mod in either this thread or the X3 Rockbox thread (I don’t remember which one).

The point is that it can be done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back