XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jan 15, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #4,186 of 5,194
Blue Max

1. What changes were made in the recent firmware update?

Have a look at official page http://www.xduoo.com/xduoo/En/DownList.Asp?SortID=1

txt file in rar archive (X3-V1.1.rar):
Content
1. Now can support to play DSF format file.
2. Now can automatically play the next CUE file after finish playing the last CUE file.
3. Upgraded the Main menu UI.
4. Bug fix: The device shuts down automatically when it shows there are still 2 spots of power.
5.Bug fix: Now after the device is full charged, there will be a image on the screen shows the full charged statu.(Screensaver still working when charging, the screen will shut down automatically, please press any buttons the wake the screen.)
6.Speed up the rewind and fast forward function.
7.Increase function: Now can press HOME/BACK(ESC in old version)button to go back to Main Menu interface directly.
8. Now can show singer's name in the song name display bar, if the singer's name is included in the ID3, then it will be displayed by scrolling. If the singer name is not included, then it doesn't show out.

3. Is changing the firmware to the Rockbox recommended?

It's not actually changing because Rockbox keep original firmware and you can choose what to boot by one simple manipulation: Rockbox (lock button off) or original firmware (lock button on).
My opinion: everyone should have try Rockbox, cos it's great.

4. Are DAPs like headphones in the sense that different DAPs will sound more appropriate for different music styles?

I don't think so, if your DAP and your headphones have neutral sound signature, at least, in case of X3 you can listen any music styles.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,187 of 5,194

I didn't say that in that context , I only referred that the xduoo x3 is bad , also the device itself has issues with heat many people said that in the thread. 

also the xduoo has a very poor display , one color oled display , while the fiio has a full tft 320x240 display 

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm not familiar with the fiio, so I can't compare.

The X3 isn't perfect (and xduoo the company isn't perfect). But for the $79 I spent on the X3, I'm quite happy with it. Good SQ, nice size and form factor. Rockboxable.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #4,190 of 5,194
FWIW, I have never had any big technical issues with my X3. Never a single firmware crash nor overheating incident. I also never have heard the clipping that occurs at 99 or 100% volume, because I never listen that loud.

I have indeed heard the timestretch that occurs with 44.1 files on the stock firmware. I nearly always run Rockbox for the sweet EQ, cool UI, and proper 44.1 decoding. But I do boot to stock firmware to play 24/96 music, since Rockbox downsamples HD music.

Jan 16, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #4,191 of 5,194
FWIW, I have never had any big technical issues with my X3. Never a single firmware crash nor overheating incident. I also never have heard the clipping that occurs at 99 or 100% volume, because I never listen that loud.

I have indeed heard the timestretch that occurs with 44.1 files on the stock firmware. I nearly always run Rockbox for the sweet EQ, cool UI, and proper 44.1 decoding. But I do boot to stock firmware to play 24/96 music, since Rockbox downsamples HD music.

I wonder if something wrong with the installation can screw this up. In my case, the Rock box crashes every now and then, I am forced the use the stock, I am using a 128GB plus 64GB cards most of the time. Also, battery lasts about 3 hours on Rockbox, but on stock more than 7. I dont like the stock for its lack of basics. But I like the low gain of the stock directly with my Beoplay H6 unamped, as it maintains the details and keeps the sound from being harsh. Also, Hi gain, with that headphone sounds like its not 'flat'. I can hear the low bass rumble but, I am sure, the midbass is missing in that case, its like a superlow end boost. midbass dip, upper mids boost - to make the voices harsh. and hi end boost masking grainier treble details. So in my opinion after a year of use, the hi gain in my case is not natural. This limits me from using the Rockbox again, as I couldnt find a gain switch(is there one which I had not noticed?`)  Most of the my music is only CD quality .I dont have a windows 7 machine, so its a pain to get to another friend again, to install this thing:frowning2: May be another installation would work. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #4,194 of 5,194
Jan 18, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #4,197 of 5,194
hi guys i need advice,

is it necessary to use AMP with XduooX3, and how significant the difference between use and not use ?

thanks in advanced
Though a amp improves the sound, low impedance, high sensitivity rated headphones / earphones do not necessarily need an amp. Also. In my experience due to the dimensions of x3 stacking is "ugly" with most amps and kills portability. What headphone do you use?

Jan 18, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #4,199 of 5,194
  I use AKG Y50...... 

Then don't bother to waste money on the amp. It will easily drive Y50. I had the K551, which sounded better with the amp, but still was fine with the stock amp. My personal experience is, if you keep the volume above 75 with K551, it was giving a better 'flatter' feel than keeping at a lower volume in the Hi gain. But when amped with a fiio E12 on hi gain, I could hear more details. But it was cubersome to carry around. I would recommend, keeping it unamped unless you really have power hungry headphones. Keeping it sensible about portability ! Also, I noticed FiiO was adding a small hass. Considering at around 100 € $, e12 as the best amp with musicality, (read only from reviews, never owned another cheaper one), I dont expect something cheaper also would give a substantial improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back