XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jan 19, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #4,201 of 5,194
so true, i got mine and the battery was dead. its a waste of money. I rather buy a respectable name brand.

Mine also has a veeeery weak battery..

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #4,202 of 5,194
Has nobody found a suitable battery replacement for this yet?

Is the battery 3.7v? If so I should mod a X3 to run on 18650 cells... I am about to switch to rockbox so the battery life is gonna be even worse which is worrying.

ALSO more importantly: any way to check battery mAh level without opening it up? Hoping to get optimal performance with RB

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #4,204 of 5,194
  Has nobody found a suitable battery replacement for this yet?

Is the battery 3.7v? If so I should mod a X3 to run on 18650 cells... I am about to switch to rockbox so the battery life is gonna be even worse which is worrying.

ALSO more importantly: any way to check battery mAh level without opening it up? Hoping to get optimal performance with RB

I've been running Rockboxed X3 for over a year now and don't have battery issues. I get an honest 8 to 9 hours playing time.
That said I'm playing mostly Apple Lossless (m4a) and FLAC files. I generally play music shuffled, that is it plays whatever is indexed.
I think the battery issues come in when you're either down-converting files (as mentioned above), or using more advanced functions.
As for the battery, with the newer X3's with Back and Option labelled buttons (as opposed to older Menu & Esc) generally have the 2000mah batteries.

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #4,205 of 5,194

I've been running Rockboxed X3 for over a year now and don't have battery issues. I get an honest 8 to 9 hours playing time.
That said I'm playing mostly Apple Lossless (m4a) and FLAC files. I generally play music shuffled, that is it plays whatever is indexed.
I think the battery issues come in when you're either down-converting files (as mentioned above), or using more advanced functions.
As for the battery, with the newer X3's with Back and Option labelled buttons (as opposed to older Menu & Esc) generally have the 2000mah batteries.

How big was your memory card? Mine wasn't giving good battery(Only in Rockbox , stock was fine) : I was using a 64 . and a 128 GB card all this time. It would have been a problem? 

Jan 19, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #4,206 of 5,194
I used either 2x 128Gb cards or same setup as you 128 & 64gb cards. I don't think the card size itself is the cause of battery drain, unless you were repeatedly scanning and rescanning the cards.
I'm a bit baffled by the fact that some people have no issues with battery life (myself for example) and others get 2 or 3 hours battery life. I'd suspect quality control issue with the battery but the fact that you get significantly
better battery life with the stock UI.

I have to say, this is one of the reasons I don't care to purchase a new unit (X10) that has to be rockboxed
to correct what should be minor issues (like gapless play).

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #4,208 of 5,194
  So much time wasted by so many on a substandard product line....

Genuine happiness can be found elsewhere for hardly any more $.

Lol , dunno about that , I ve had many hours of listening pleasure with my xDuoo X3 thankyouverymuch!

for all of us that have wasted so much time, can we have an example of 'genuine happiness' ?

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #4,209 of 5,194

Lol , dunno about that , I ve had many hours of listening pleasure with my xDuoo X3 thankyouverymuch!

for all of us that have wasted so much time, can we have an example of 'genuine happiness' ?

Each to their own and glad you've experienced success.
I've never had a second's regret since moving to Lotoo. Simply great.

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #4,211 of 5,194
Geez, after all this time owning an X3, I feel I finally tapped into the true potential of the player this past weekend.  Up until now I have always used Rockbox to play 16/44 FLAC files, but I finally gave the stock firmware a try, because I just downloaded Stevie Wonder's awesome album "Talking Book", remastered in 24/192 FLAC from HDTracks, and I wanted to hear it bit-perfect.

Wow!  I have owned this record on vinyl and on CD in the past, and this sounds better than either of those formats ever did, at least on my stereo systems.  Mind you, I'm listening with the X3 headphone out straight into my HD 598 cans, and also plugged into my car stereo via line out.  Never have I heard so much definition in these songs!

I have a handful of 24-bit albums, and to me the difference is subtle but undeniable.  The biggest change is in the vocals.  They are less grainy-- the breath sounds smooth as glass.  The dynamic range is phenomenal.  And the bass has better definition and sounds less squashed.  For the first time ever, I really heard the bass line of "Superstition" in all its funky glory.  And never has it felt so good to be hit over the head with the refrain of "I Believe (When I Fall in Love" over and over again for minutes on end.

The realism is very convincing.  In spite of the lack of gapless and the lost split second at the beginning of each track, the actual sound of the X3 playing HD audio is wonderful.

Now I guess I'm going to have to replace my whole collection with HD...oh boy..

Jan 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,212 of 5,194
  Geez, after all this time owning an X3, I feel I finally tapped into the true potential of the player this past weekend.  Up until now I have always used Rockbox to play 16/44 FLAC files, but I finally gave the stock firmware a try...

I've found I enjoy the stock firmware sound as well.  I rarely use the rockbox anymore, but it is nice to have there if I ever do feel like using it.

--

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4,214 of 5,194
Are you playing hi res files or 44.1khz?
I sold mine, as I planned to upgrade to x10. But all the time I used it I noticed/felt two things without an amp:

1. Stock sounded like it had a darker background.
2. Hi gain was not a linear boost. It's more like a boost on some of the frequencies, and used to distort the tonality.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,215 of 5,194
I sold mine, as I planned to upgrade to x10. But all the time I used it I noticed/felt two things without an amp:

1. Stock sounded like it had a darker background.
2. Hi gain was not a linear boost. It's more like a boost on some of the frequencies, and used to distort the tonality.

The reason I asked is because 44.1khz sample rate playback time is screwed up in the stock FW. I was not listening for the right thing at first but was eventually able to catch it. Now I just rockbox my X3 but that said I don't have any hi-res to play. If i did, the stock FW is the only choice. That said, I always liked the stock FW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back