XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Jan 5, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #4,160 of 5,194
Just got one of these and I'm overall really pleased. Took me under 5 minutes to install Rockbox using a 128Gb Sandisk card.

Sound quality is super - my speakers were at the best I've ever heard them when I hooked these up through line-out just for the craic.

My only disappointment is the screen. I've got no problem with it being monochrome, and being non-touchscreen is a plus in my opinion, but it is so small! To anyone reading this thread who hasn't got one yet, be aware that the real screen (behind the glass) is only about 3cm x 1.5cm.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #4,161 of 5,194
I agree with you that the line out sounds awesome on the X3.  Really rocks when run through my car stereo...better than the built in CD player.  I also have been very impressed when I hooked it up to my home mini system...a DIY boombox that uses a Tripath chip amp and some Aurasound full-range speakers.  Awesome punch and clarity.  The screen is difficult, yeah. Just wait til you go outside..

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #4,162 of 5,194
  I agree with you that the line out sounds awesome on the X3.  Really rocks when run through my car stereo...better than the built in CD player.  I also have been very impressed when I hooked it up to my home mini system...a DIY boombox that uses a Tripath chip amp and some Aurasound full-range speakers.  Awesome punch and clarity.  The screen is difficult, yeah. Just wait til you go outside..

Ha ha you're not kidding! I took my X3 snowshoeing in the sunshine. Beyond difficult in that situation!

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,164 of 5,194
The headphone out is good too, but not quite as open and energetic sounding as line out, in my opinion.  I'm saving up for a portable amp to pair with my X3, to hopefully remedy this.  Has anybody used a CMOY with the X3?  Thoughts?  I really like the design of them, and their DIY-friendly nature.  I am particularly interested in this new so-called "Super CMOY" discussed here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/293247-opa1688-super-cmoy-2x-9v-real-ground-headphone-relay-pcbs.html and here http://agdraudio.com/cmoy.html.  One guy compared it favorably to his Objective2 amp?!?!

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #4,165 of 5,194
  The headphone out is good too, but not quite as open and energetic sounding as line out, in my opinion.  I'm saving up for a portable amp to pair with my X3, to hopefully remedy this.  Has anybody used a CMOY with the X3?  Thoughts?  I really like the design of them, and their DIY-friendly nature.  I am particularly interested in this new so-called "Super CMOY" discussed here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/headphone-systems/293247-opa1688-super-cmoy-2x-9v-real-ground-headphone-relay-pcbs.html and here http://agdraudio.com/cmoy.html.  One guy compared it favorably to his Objective2 amp?!?!

I had the O2 for almost a month before I sold it, with the x3. Listening from Beoplay H6's , I noticed the stock amp had more boosted treble, however o2 brought more midbass, in my opinion x3 lacks a bit. Overall it used to be a more listenable combination, however it wasnt portable. If CMOY sounds similar it must be a good combination, however it iwll be like a brick in your pocket. I sold my e12, for the same reason, as I dont listen to headphones at home, wish x3 had some raw power!

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #4,166 of 5,194
I enjoyed the X3, but returned it after a couple weeks. I wanted a DAP I could leave at work and it fit the bill except for the battery life. Best I could get was 5.5 hours. I work 8 hours so that just wasn't cutting it. Other than that, it was great with rockbox. Never used it with the stock fw so I can't comment on that.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,167 of 5,194
I had the O2 for almost a month before I sold it, with the x3. Listening from Beoplay H6's , I noticed the stock amp had more boosted treble, however o2 brought more midbass, in my opinion x3 lacks a bit. Overall it used to be a more listenable combination, however it wasnt portable. If CMOY sounds similar it must be a good combination, however it iwll be like a brick in your pocket. I sold my e12, for the same reason, as I dont listen to headphones at home, wish x3 had some raw power!

It fits in a mint tin but this one has two 9v batteries. So I guess it might be heavy. Hopefully the sound makes it worth it. Anybody else try their X3 with a CMOY or O2 amp before?

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,168 of 5,194
I'm not an audiophile, but from my point Xduoo X3 is definitely upgrade from my old nice Sansa Clip+ in terms of sound quality
atsmile.gif
. X3 in the first place captured my attention with it's bass speed and tightness. The midrange is also very differs from Clip+, let's say X3 midrange have more "thickness".

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #4,169 of 5,194
It fits in a mint tin but this one has two 9v batteries. So I guess it might be heavy. Hopefully the sound makes it worth it. Anybody else try their X3 with a CMOY or O2 amp before?

I did... on both accounts. The O2 is the obvious winner... but in both cases the combo (X3 + amp) is hardly a mobile choice for audo-on-the-go and given the plentiful power and good quality of the HP-output sound I don't feel the need for an amping device to compliment the X3 while out-and-about IMHO.

The CMOY-in-a-Tin version (one battery) was more of a neccessity in the case of the feeble Sansa Clip Plus.

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #4,170 of 5,194
Hmm well the x3 offers ample gain, I agree...certainly a ton more than my iPod. I use efficient headphones (50 ohm HD598) and the x3 makes them plenty loud, so maybe I am wasting my time hunting for an amp.

But I hear way better dynamic energy, bass texture, and overall realism when I listen to the same headphones from either of my two computer sound cards, which have a ton more power. Granted, it could be the DACs that are making this difference, not the amps. But I doubt it. I have heard the x3 deliver first class dynamics and bass through speaker systems when using the line out, so I am keen to blame the x3 headphone amp for the shortcomings I'm hearing. .

I guess that to find out if I can get better synergy between x3 and the HD 598 by amping, I'm gonna have to try it. Thank you guys for your impressions of the X3 with the O2 and CMOY, I'm leaning towards the Super CMOY I mentioned, which I gather falls between those two amps in circuit topology and sound. I welcome any other opinions on sub $100 amps that improve upon the x3 sound. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back