XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Dec 16, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #4,141 of 5,194
The speed error isn't bit depth related, it's a clock divider error for 44.1k and 88.2k. The clock divider for 48k and 96k is ok. This error applies to any file format of these bit rates.

I've no idea about PNY cards, other than that they have a good general reputation. But, there again, so does Sandisk, and I've had several duff 64gig Sandisk cards and have stopped using Sandisk except for their old small capacity cards which were great.

Ok then. Looks like I'll have to blow the dust off my Windows 7 laptop and rockbox it then. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure the PNY cards will be fine but it never hurts to ask.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #4,142 of 5,194
  Christmas Giveaway!

I have a BRAND NEW X3 leather case to give away, that's right, No Strings Attached.
I even pay for shipping. . . . . .how's that for a Christmas gift!!

This is a new unused case, see it here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-High-End-XDUOO-X3-Leather-Case-Player-Accessories-Multipurpose-MP3-Player-Case-Portable-Storage-Bag/32658730292.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.2.POR0gQ

The seventh (7) person to pm me will be the lucky new owner.
Cheers to all,
PJ

Okay, the contest has closed. And the winner is.......................getclikinagas.
Congratulations to you!
If you want to send my your address info I'll get it out to you early next week.
Thank you for the many nice compliments, I appreciate that.
Best of the holidays to You.
PJ

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #4,143 of 5,194
Okay, the contest has closed. And the winner is.......................getclikinagas.
Congratulations to you!
If you want to send my your address info I'll get it out to you early next week.
Thank you for the many nice compliments, I appreciate that.
Best of the holidays to You.
PJ

Lucky Number Slevin!!

Thank you for the giveaway PJ. Happy holidays!
jecklinsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #4,144 of 5,194
Hi all.  Well Ive had the X3 for a week and have to say it's a great little machine. I'm no audiophile but even with a pair of JVC Xplosives that have served me a year or two, music that I thought I knew sounds better.  The next step is to purchase a better set if IEM's, of which there seem to be hundreds of the pricepoint I'm looking at, £30-£40. I also purchased the case from ebay, This fits perfectly, which is all you can ask of a case! 

As for the pitch error...yes it's there on some tracks, well it must be on all tracks, but to my untrained ear I can't detect it all of the time. The clipping at the beginning of each track, again I'm used to this now. I did try to install Rockbox on the machine, but it hung and after waiting an hour, reset the X3 and am now back to the original software.

As it doesn't seem to want to play or even recognise DFF files, I've converted a few to DFF and as long as theyre no higher than 2.8mhz they work fine. I can't tell the difference between thses and flac files but this may be down to the crappy and base heavy JVC's.

I'll report more on what I find out once I've gone through the tedious job of trawling sites for recommendations of which IEM to go for.

Thanks for all of the posts on the X3 so far, long may it continue.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #4,145 of 5,194
  Hi all.  Well Ive had the X3 for a week and have to say it's a great little machine. I'm no audiophile but even with a pair of JVC Xplosives that have served me a year or two, music that I thought I knew sounds better.  The next step is to purchase a better set if IEM's, of which there seem to be hundreds of the pricepoint I'm looking at, £30-£40. I also purchased the case from ebay, This fits perfectly, which is all you can ask of a case! 

As for the pitch error...yes it's there on some tracks, well it must be on all tracks, but to my untrained ear I can't detect it all of the time. The clipping at the beginning of each track, again I'm used to this now. I did try to install Rockbox on the machine, but it hung and after waiting an hour, reset the X3 and am now back to the original software.

As it doesn't seem to want to play or even recognise DFF files, I've converted a few to DFF and as long as theyre no higher than 2.8mhz they work fine. I can't tell the difference between thses and flac files but this may be down to the crappy and base heavy JVC's.

I'll report more on what I find out once I've gone through the tedious job of trawling sites for recommendations of which IEM to go for.

I found Rockbox quite easy to install.  Most failed installs were due to improperly naming the update to rockbox zip file.  On windows PCs, the .zip is hidden so when folks rename it the X3 sees update.zip.zip which is what causes it to hang.  All that needs to be done is rename it to update and it will install Rockbox properly.  YMMV, but I thought I would throw it out there in case you wanted to try it again at some point.

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #4,146 of 5,194
As it doesn't seem to want to play or even recognise DFF files, I've converted a few to DFF and as long as theyre no higher than 2.8mhz they work fine. I can't tell the difference between thses and flac files but this may be down to the crappy and base heavy JVC's

Hmm, you have better luck than I do .. I tried some DFF files at various bit rates, and none would play. on the other hand DSF files play fine. Wish I understood the differences in the DSD file formats. I also wish for a tool that could tell you easily what the bit rate is for a DSD file. There are tools that do this for FLAC and mp3 files...

dblml320

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #4,148 of 5,194
Hmm, you have better luck than I do .. I tried some DFF files at various bit rates, and none would play. on the other hand DSF files play fine. Wish I understood the differences in the DSD file formats. I also wish for a tool that could tell you easily what the bit rate is for a DSD file. There are tools that do this for FLAC and mp3 files...

dblml320

Apologies, I meant to say I'd converted a few DFF files to DSD , using an old version of Korg Audiogate. VOX will both play DSD files as well as show you the bitrate etc.

Dec 23, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #4,153 of 5,194

Direct Stream Digital  ( DSD ) has a few varieties due to different manufacturer's preferences. DSF and DFF are the most common.

The quality of a DSD file will only be as good as the source it's made from. Unless the DSD file is a direct recording from life, it will be a reproduction of another kind of file. If that other kind of file is a studio quality master ( probably 192-24 PCM ) it can sound very good. If it's a reproduction of a 160 kbs mp3 file it will sound like a 160 kbs mp3 files no matter what.

I have a Sony D100 portable recorder that will record 2.8 MHz DSD from the microphones or line/mic inputs. Those recordings are very special because there is no drop in quality between analog source and recorded file. IF I use Korg AudioGate to convert any other kind of file to a DSD format file, all I get is a ridiculously massive file for no perceived gain. DSD files are huge.

Ideally, DSD audio/music should be recorded and mastered in the DSD domain but software capable of doing it is still prohibitively expensive, even for professional studios. Who really wants to pay 70 thousand pounds for a DAW !?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back