XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Dec 30, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #946 of 5,194
  ndburley,

I hear you.  But at < 3Mb/sec transferring files to the X3 that way, I thought trying the USB 3.0 port might speed things up. 

And for others, no, I don't use windows media player or iTunes.  Recently installed foobar2000 and am still tweaking it.  Use it like I will be the X3 by selecting folders (albums) to play.... no playlists or favorites to compound things for this old man :)  As an aside I just this month ripped my CDs to my computer and have started digitizing my analog vinyl/reel/cassette material.  So this DAP business is fairly new to me.

The new media player due to its new format support has made my life a world better...maybe try Musicbee? I always found foobar a litle too much effort. That is by no means a dig at it I am sure it is awesome and many praise it. 

Dec 30, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #947 of 5,194
I looked at Musicbee along with others before settling on foobar2000.  I like it especially with the crossfeed (foo_dsp_xfeed) enabled playing into my HD600s through a Schiit stack (Modi2/Vali).

I assume you're referring to Windows Player when you say "the new media player."

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #949 of 5,194
Two questions?
Has anyone tested putting 200gb sd cards in this?

If you have a folder on the sd with an unsupported file type, and you view the folder in the folder browser function
Will it list the file and not play it? Or will it be ommited from the list entirely?

Dec 30, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #950 of 5,194
A bit suprised about the volume I'm getting with either my Trinity Audio Techne (16 Ohms) or VSonic VSD3s (40 Ohms).  Have to crank things to between 55 and 60 with gain set at +6 for good output.  (As an aside DSP is set at fast/sharp.)   I would have though a volume setting of 30 or 35 would do the trick, but....    This normal? 

Oh and for those who were talking about a protective pouch.  I salvaged an old Grey Flannel cologne pouch for the task.  Works for me:)

Dec 30, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #951 of 5,194
it sounds good to me. no noise with line out output to speakers at high sound but i get distortion with +6dB so i think it should have an option to allow automatic 0dB in line out output.

Im extremely happy with this device and knowing rockbox can be possible is godness for this lovely player.

Have a look at his guts, very naked:wink:

Dec 31, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #952 of 5,194
A bit suprised about the volume I'm getting with either my Trinity Audio Techne (16 Ohms) or VSonic VSD3s (40 Ohms).  Have to crank things to between 55 and 60 with gain set at +6 for good output.  (As an aside DSP is set at fast/sharp.)   I would have though a volume setting of 30 or 35 would do the trick, but....    This normal? 

Oh and for those who were talking about a protective pouch.  I salvaged an old Grey Flannel cologne pouch for the task.  Works for me:)

With my Havi B3 Pro 1, I also need 60ish of volume from my X3

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #954 of 5,194

Same here, 60 for the Xiaomi Piston 2 and 70+ for the Takstar pro 80. Well, it can go to 100 so enough headroom. :)
(just downloaded Metallica's Black Album 24bit, great to try at high volume :wink: ).

I ordered a velvet pouch on AliExpress for a few cents, will be great to protect the X3. Takstar has same travel pouch material :)

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #956 of 5,194
it sounds good to me. no noise with line out output to speakers at high sound but i get distortion with +6dB so i think it should have an option to allow automatic 0dB in line out output.

Im extremely happy with this device and knowing rockbox can be possible is godness for this lovely player.

Have a look at his guts, very naked:wink:

Anything that can be modded?

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #957 of 5,194

That is about where I hang with the Soundmagic P21

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #958 of 5,194
Quick review :
I got this around 2 days ago and have been listening to it with my ath ew9. So far I'm loving it! :D the sound quality is so much better than my phone, which is great because I got it so I could avoid using the phone for music. My ew9 are bright (or sharp? Sorry I don't know which term to use ^^;; ) so the "s" sound pierces my ears (very noticeable when listening to the 3rd track of Galileo Galilee's See More Glass album feat Aimer) but on the x3 it's so much better: not that piercing, sounds rounder (not that sharp). As for female vocals, there's just something "different" but I just can't put my finger on it.

From what I've listened to, it seems like this player prefers more relaxed music such as Halsey, Daft Punk (Random access memories), Angel Snow, Joshua Radin. More powerful music like Fall Out Boy (American Beauty album) and Nickelback (no fixed address album) sound veiled, like there's a padding or something;it lacks that punch and oomph. I think that's because of my earphones. I'll have to try the x3 with my k550 when I return home after vacation.

UI is very basic, reminds me of my old OPPO mp3 player with 256mb memory iirc, very nostalgic :p

What bugs me though is how you have to press so many buttons just to go to the now playing screen. For example, I like to browse different folders while listening so I can change albums or songs, but if I want to pause the current song, I need to keep pressing back until I reach the home screen,then I need to press a few buttons to get to now playing. It would be better if I could get to the home screen/now playing screen by holding the back button for a few seconds. This would be a great feature especially for people with lots of folders.

That's pretty much it. Overall, amazing device considering its low price. I'll have to try pairing it with my other gear to see what goes best with it :)

Thanks and happy new year! :D

Update: Carly Rae Jepsen 's I really like you and breaking Benjamin sound great! I guess the recording of fall out boy and nickelback were bad...

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #959 of 5,194
 As for female vocals, there's just something "different" but I just can't put my finger on it.

I think the sound stage opens up, it fills the listening space feels more open. That is what I thought when comparing it to a phone. I found MP3 on the phone could be a little sharp, the X3 plays mp3 at 320 lovely but I have been converted to flac it just opened up a whole new ball game for me. This is only my personal opinion though I jave been trying to get the experience as good as I can on my budget :)

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #960 of 5,194
With my Havi B3 Pro 1, I also need 60ish of volume from my X3

The same with me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back