XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Mar 16, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #2,131 of 5,194
@ozkan I know they got it running on the X3, but I thought it wasn't released or finished testing yet. Last I checked someone posted a pic of it booting on theirs, but if stable Rockbox exists, that's awesome and I should have read a few more pages.

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #2,132 of 5,194
OK. I've been listening to the X3 for a day or so. Now I have a clear idea of the X3's sound. The sound is very rich compared to onboard DACs. However, due to 99.9% of my files being 44.1kHz 16bit FLAC files, the pitch issue is very prominent after a few hours of listening. At first, I thought it was part of the player's 'sound signature', but as the hours went on, it became clear, it wasn't. It doesn't completely screw up the sound of your music as such, hence I didn't notice in the first few hours of listening. From my point of view, it makes the sound, sound constrained, like you're slowed down and after hours of listening, instead of having a relaxed body, you end up with a confused and muddled body. [all personal subjective feelings]

Mar 16, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #2,133 of 5,194

You two might be interested in the AP100, I have it, it is excellent and EQ works with line out, furthermore there is a dedicated EQ toggling button, I am in audio heaven :)
$177USD on Amazon, mine came with an extremely high quality leather case which if sold separately would easily cost $30-40USD. Some report that they got a cheap silicone case, so I dunno what that's about, but if you go do yer research you should see many Fiio X1, X3 and X5 owners feel the AP100 significantly trumps it. Bargain.
I also own a second edition Alien Shozy, an Xduoo X3 owner says the Alien Shozy trumps it (sound wise), and I feel the AP100 beats the Shozy... so yeh take that under consideration. One of the reasons I haven't bought the Xduoo X3 is that I own a AP100 and Alien Shozy and they are supposedly vastly superior to the X3, but I like to keep my eye on all kinds of DAPs :)

It was my understanding this pitch error is hardware based, rockboxed won't fix it.  Someone else can chime in if i'm mistaken...

Thanks for the suggestion , now a have a new player to take under consideration, how does it compare to the FiiO X5?

I will be a killer if it bests the SQ of the FiiO x5 at that price.

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,135 of 5,194
Thanks for the suggestion , now a have a new player to take under consideration, how does it compare to the FiiO X5?

Yes it bests for me. Ap100 is more balanced sounding device. I'm not a huge fan of Fiio. YMMW though.

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,136 of 5,194
If you read the last few pages it is mentioned that rockbox will decrease the pitch error to %0.006 which I think won't be an issue anymore. In the very beginning Clip had that pitch error too and solved with the firmware.

I have also the AP100 and think EQ is the worst I've ever seen on a DAP so I turn it off. If your budget allows AP100 is better sounding device than X3 but the difference is not so big.

Was that what rockbox fixed for the clip tho, as in the clips pitch error could be fixed somewhat by rockboxing (ie software based issue). I was under the impression that even with rockbox installed it wouldn't assist in this way like it did with the clip, the pitch errors are different in nature. Would be superb if it did tho!

That is really interesting to hear you say you don't like the EQ on the AP100. I'm a bit of a DSP freak, to say I abused Cowon DSPs is putting it mildly, I enjoyed them very much, but to me the Cowon EQs/Jet Effects/BBE's sound very artificial if not fun and engaging tho, the AP100 on the other hand sounds very 'hi-fi' based, that is accurate and not 'fake' (a bit like adjusting a treble or bass knob on a hifi).
This could be due to the fact that the AP100's EQ is hardware based and not software per se?

What I have learned with my AP100 is that it actually contains a vast degree in changing the sound signature. First of all, having the EQ off sounds quite different to being On, even if u set everything to Flat. I had to tweak the EQ to get a sound signature that sounded more like how it sounds in the Off position, that was a starting point for me so that I could move forward with presets such as enhanced bass and less bass etc, toning down the treble etc.

But using that in conjunction with the various SRC modes adds another step of increased customisation, which imo changes the soundstage the most, increased separation etc. There is a multitude of fine tuning that exists, that I believe is not obvious from the get go. And then there are some that claim to hear no difference when using SRC mode (16bit 44.1>24bit 192), to my ears each level of adjustment is glaringly obvious, so it puzzles me to hear users report that. Perhaps file type, firmware level and even AP100 unit adjusts the outcome, could not all AP100's be made equal?

So I guess where we differ is that yer comparing the AP100 off mode to the X3, which I would imagine is not that different, but then to me it's a bit like comparing a Cowon with a Sansa clip, of course yer not going to use that Cowon without tinkering with DSPs... so therefore it's kinda null comparison.

What I find I manage to obtain with my AP100 is a sound signature that sounds similar to being in Off mode, but then I can (at the push of a single button) toggle to a similar sound again but this time with more bass, and then then same again but this time with less bass, and also a slight variance on treble where needed. This I find is really helpful when Shuffling All and needing to either give that song a little more bass emphasis, leave as is or less. To have 8 custom EQ slots is great.

I believe a few have said AP100 trumps the X3 and X5, I have not heard the Fiio's myself however so can't comment.

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #2,137 of 5,194

Why go out of my way to help people who don't deserve to be helped? 

Only to let them know they can't do this and get away with it. They might not have guessed you would post it online. I'm sure whoever read your comments here will think twice or avoid them next time. If only they get to know that you posted your experience online, they might think twice in doing this to others. Of-course, it is entirely up to you to do this but it MIGHT help others. :)

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #2,138 of 5,194
  OK. I've been listening to the X3 for a day or so. Now I have a clear idea of the X3's sound. The sound is very rich compared to onboard DACs. However, due to 99.9% of my files being 44.1kHz 16bit FLAC files, the pitch issue is very prominent after a few hours of listening. At first, I thought it was part of the player's 'sound signature', but as the hours went on, it became clear, it wasn't. It doesn't completely screw up the sound of your music as such, hence I didn't notice in the first few hours of listening. From my point of view, it makes the sound, sound constrained, like you're slowed down and after hours of listening, instead of having a relaxed body, you end up with a confused and muddled body. [all personal subjective feelings]

Many have mentioned that pitch issue is not much of a problem. But it is, a problem if you listen to some fast pace songs. It literally kills the excitment of the songs. For instance the One republic's Counting stars sounds slower and the dynamic nature of the song is missing here. Over the past three months, I noticed many songs sound 'boring'. At the same time, soft Jazz sounds even more relaxing ! 

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #2,139 of 5,194

I hear you but my X1 is constantly full on storage. The dual microSD slots on this are so appealing.

I know I'd notice the pitch issue and don't feel like converting all my FLACs to non-44.1 so I might just hope they get their stuff together and update the firmware.

edit: I'm confused, is the pitch issue not fixable?  I might just be misunderstanding @BruceBanner post about it being unfixable.

I had both the players, except for the pitch issue, overall sound quality is a good step up :wink: More details, wider soundstage, better imaging, but all on the cost of slow songs if 44.1khz is what your library consists of.   I too hate the pitch thing, its noticeable. I have a plan of getting a X5ii from FiiO as X3ii wont be a good upgrade. Due to this issue, the resale on Xduoo is going to be nothing. I have seen Xduoo getting sold for almost 60 bucks in German classified website last month.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #2,143 of 5,194
il agree with your feeling ( muddy and lack clarity) but with the xduoo x3 too! And i found them too "bassy". I have two of them ( KZ ATE and KZ ATE S), both have been well burned +50 hours, and I'm a bit disapointed. I feel even simple sennheizer cx150 have better sound, clarity and bigger soundstage. I'm waiting now for "letv full metal" headphones as many french users describ them as the bests low price hp to buy today.. (hope everybody understand, english is not an usual language for me)

Did you receive them already?

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,144 of 5,194
Things are definitely looking up for the RockBOX port onto the X3.
There's been a LOT of activity on the Russian forum player.ru and Alex_Nsk posted this just a while back...
(Forgive the Google translation)

News rockbox adaptation to the platform xDuoo X3:

- Support for the second slot SD- card
RESOLVED (although the first map displays root and the second as the microSD1)

- The possibility dualboot (dual boot or rockbox original shell user selectable)
RESOLVED (switch to native software when in the HOLD mode is turned on)

- The possibility of implementing a simple device firmware update by running the original system upgrade.zip
(Ie means of the player)
NOT possible to implement.
Ie have flashed on a computer, a specialized softinkoy and only under Win 7 \ XP

- The ability to play in charging device (car adapter mode)
Partially RESOLVED (if connecting the USB cable while holding (any) button is only charging the device at the same time, you can fully enjoy.

Just a little bit, and the beta version will be available for owners.
I will write and translate the instructions into English for placing on rockbox.org and the port will be officially launched and there.

Which is pretty amazing huh?  Kudos to XVortex and Alex_Nsk and all the others involved in getting it this far - really impressive!

Mar 16, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2,145 of 5,194
O
Things are definitely looking up for the RockBOX port onto the X3.
There's been a LOT of activity on the Russian forum player.ru and Alex_Nsk posted this just a while back...
(Forgive the Google translation)

News rockbox adaptation to the platform xDuoo X3:

- Support for the second slot SD- card
RESOLVED (although the first map displays root and the second as the microSD1)

- The possibility dualboot (dual boot or rockbox original shell user selectable)
RESOLVED (switch to native software when in the HOLD mode is turned on)

- The possibility of implementing a simple device firmware update by running the original system upgrade.zip
(Ie means of the player)
NOT possible to implement.
Ie have flashed on a computer, a specialized softinkoy and only under Win 7 \ XP

- The ability to play in charging device (car adapter mode)
Partially RESOLVED (if connecting the USB cable while holding (any) button is only charging the device at the same time, you can fully enjoy.

Just a little bit, and the beta version will be available for owners.
I will write and translate the instructions into English for placing on rockbox.org and the port will be officially launched and there.

Which is pretty amazing huh?  Kudos to XVortex and Alex_Nsk and all the others involved in getting it this far - really impressive!

Oh wow \( ^.^)/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back