XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player
Feb 29, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #1,921 of 5,194

There has been an exceptional amount of speculation about the 44.1 pitch error, it's audibility, and it's correctability.  Few can hear it, most not, others only in specific songs.  Some opine the error can be corrected with a software patch.   A few have upsampled their 44.1 files to 48 where there is no playback pitch error.   Others maintain its embedded in the hardware.  Worries have been expressed about battery life potentially being impacted by a pitch fix.  And it goes on and on and on and on............

xDuoo said they were working on a fix.  They also said they hoped to issue a second firmware update after the Chinese New Year.  I personally have never put much stock in release date commitments.  But their track record with their cheaper X2 firmware updates gives reason for optimism.

One skilled programmer / engineer  (XVortex) is currently working to develop a functioning Rockbox port for the X3 which should include a pitch adjustment function.  But he's alone and doing it for fun in his spare time which is extremely laudatory but without any assurance of success or completion. 

A cloudy picture for sure but I trust it helps.

A helpful summary of the current status Bob. For me and many other happy owners the pitch problem is not a problem. But it does seem to be exercising potential customers, so hopefully they can be persuaded that it should definitely not be a deal breaker given the overwhelming positives.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,922 of 5,194

A helpful summary of the current status Bob. For me and many other happy owners the pitch problem is not a problem. But it does seem to be exercising potential customers, so hopefully they can be persuaded that it should definitely not be a deal breaker given the overwhelming positives.

Thanks.  And I totally agree.  I'm in the category who only hears the pitch error in a very few select songs.  And I really don't find it all that bothersome.  Sure I'd like it fixed.  But "as is" this is an exceptional "bang for buck" DAP that hits on so many features/factors.  Mine is not going anywhere anytime soon.  And yeah I even bought a leather case for it! 
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #1,923 of 5,194
Thanks.  And I totally agree.  I'm in the category who only hears the pitch error in a very few select songs.  And I really don't find it all that bothersome.  Sure I'd like it fixed.  But "as is" this is an exceptional "bang for buck" DAP that hits on so many features/factors.  Mine is not going anywhere anytime soon.  And yeah I even bought a leather case for it!  :D   :D

Me too - still awaking delivery.of my case..And I bought 2 x3's black and silver, the deals were too tempting:money_mouth:

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #1,924 of 5,194
I finally gave in an ordered the X3 just now along with LZ Z03A. Thanks to @TwinACStacks, easy offered some decent discount and I just can't for these to be delivered.

LZ Z03A was recommended by Easy as a good model for running/jogging. I see that it comes for a pair or around the ear silicone inserts if you will and that made me just hit order. However, I would like to know, if this is a good pair or sports listening.

@Lurk650 I also ordered Comply 400 available on his store. If this works (I hope it does.), I can happily afford to replace them often. :)

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #1,925 of 5,194

There has been an exceptional amount of speculation about the 44.1 pitch error, it's audibility, and it's correctability.  Few can hear it, most not, others only in specific songs.  Some opine the error can be corrected with a software patch.  Others maintain its embedded in the hardware.   Worries have been expressed about battery life potentially being impacted by a pitch fix.  A few have upsampled their 44.1 files to 48 where there is no playback pitch error.  And it goes on and on and on and on............

xDuoo said they were working on a fix.  They also said they hoped to issue a second firmware update after the Chinese New Year.  I personally have never put much stock in release date commitments.  But their track record with their cheaper X2 firmware updates gives reason for optimism.

One skilled programmer / engineer  (XVortex) is currently working to develop a functioning Rockbox port for the X3 which should include a pitch adjustment function.  But he's alone and doing it for fun in his spare time which is extremely laudatory but without any assurance of success or completion. 

A cloudy picture for sure but I trust it helps.

Sure for what you said, I`ve been enjoying my X3 for three months, mostly HiRes files (so 44.1 no deal braker for me) and come to a conclusion that all the things with I can live except it being non-gapless... this player definitely needs gapless support. Otherwise it`s brilliant...

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #1,926 of 5,194
  Sure for what you said, I`ve been enjoying my X3 for three months, mostly HiRes files (so 44.1 no deal braker for me) and come to a conclusion that all the things with I can live except it being non-gapless... this player definitely needs gapless support. Otherwise it`s brilliant...

Romis,
   xDuoo definitely needs to add some missing features to their future firmware updates to include gapless play and prefetch. 
   BTW your photography page has some absolutely outstanding photos!
      (Kids sleeping and yawning, couple "walking on water", mother-in-law holding her stomach with napkin on her lips, etc.  All capture captivating human elements too often left out of wedding photographs.)

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #1,927 of 5,194
So the Xduoo X3 case. Be very careful. Whilst the headphones are plugged in the X3 is safe, but over time because the X3 case loosens the player is not secure. My X3 fell out as I was untangling my earphones and I was lucky that the screen was not damaged, It is a poor case in the sense that it should have something to clip over the top to fully secure it. It is very poorly designed in total and may give a false sense of security. Hope someone comes out with a really thought out case, because sadly this one is not very good at all.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #1,928 of 5,194
So the Xduoo X3 case. Be very careful. Whilst the headphones are plugged in the X3 is safe, but over time because the X3 case loosens the player is not secure.

Mmmmm... thanks I'll be careful.  But honestly I've had mine for 2 weeks and use a right angle adapter to plug my earphones in.  Even after disconnecting the phones if I shake the case it doesn't let the X3 slide out.  Kinda looks like the leather hangs up on the upper volume button. 

As an aside I read elsewhere where a couple of folks used the old trick of wet molding leather.  This was on another forum and not about DAP cases.   Probably a safer bet is to place a piece of moleskin inside the case.  That ought to nicely tighten things up
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,929 of 5,194
So the Xduoo X3 case. Be very careful. Whilst the headphones are plugged in the X3 is safe, but over time because the X3 case loosens the player is not secure. My X3 fell out as I was untangling my earphones and I was lucky that the screen was not damaged, It is a poor case in the sense that it should have something to clip over the top to fully secure it. It is very poorly designed in total and may give a false sense of security. Hope someone comes out with a really thought out case, because sadly this one is not very good at all.

I put two Scotch Restickable Dots on the X3 before inserting into the case:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y17T70

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,930 of 5,194
Mar 2, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,931 of 5,194

Joining the wishlist, I would love to see the capability of USB DAC to be added.

Mar 2, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #1,932 of 5,194
Mar 2, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #1,935 of 5,194
how does this compares with Fiio X1 ? Any good
Its SQ is much better than the X1 and is often said to be better than an X3 ii .UI and other extras like replay gain and EQ can only be found on the Fiios .The xduoo x3 is an awesome all the basics budget player though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back