xDuoo X2 - small lossless player with microSD and OLED!
Jun 29, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #1,849 of 2,087

What you want to do is buy a magnetic badge fastener like this;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-x-MAGNETIC-NAME-BADGE-TAG-ATTACHMENT-SELF-ADHESIVE-MAGNET-x-1-SUPER-STRONG-/282032048069?hash=item41aa6b87c5:g:OCQAAOSwEK9T4YSD

You put the sticky part on the back of the X2, and the magnetic part under the clothing (anywhere u like), then it stays firmly in place.

I have used this trick numerous times on DAPs far heftier in weight than the X2, if paranoid use more than one clasp.

I have detailed the procedure at ABI.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71520&highlight=magnetic

Their are many advantages to this little trick, such as orientation of the DAP, with some clisps/clasps you are forced to put it on yer person a certain way, that might not make much sense when wanting to glance down and make a change. This method allows the user to choose the orientation, and generally speaking it gives a slightly better 'interaction' of movement when making a change (pivots more) than with a clip that could break or snap.
Just be warned, the magnetic force can be quite strong, and may make a permanent indentation of yer item of clothing (like a clothes line peg etc).

Hi BruceBanner, I have just bought the exact same magnetic badgets you recommend. I hope they are strong enough! I thought maybe you could help me with a different issue I have.

My gf birthday is in 5 days. I want to buy her a portable DAP for the gym but I am having a hard time deciding which one to buy. I don't think I can go very wrong since she has the Ipod shuffle and she is really sick and tired of it. I have nailed it down to 3 options:

1 - I could get her a new Xduoo X2 (I will attach the magnetic badge to it - I have bought 10 pieces) - 48,99€
2 - I could get her a factory refurbished Sansa Clip + 8gb. I have found a seller that has some refurbished ones in stock. She does love the clip so this could be nice. My only concern is that it is refurbished - 49€
3 - Finally I could get her a new Sansa Clip Sport. It has a better screen but I dont know about the music quality and UI (since it can't be rockboxed, this is an important factor - 39,99€ (4gb) - 45,99€ (8gb)

I will also buy her an extra sd card whichever player I buy, so memory will not be a problem.

I do own the Xduoo and Sansa clip + myself and I actually use both in the gym. The Sansa Clip + for extra portability and when I require the clip. The Xduoo for better music quality and when I don't listen to music sessions (since it has this 1 second gap). Still I can't make my up my mind here!

Jun 29, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #1,850 of 2,087
First up, I don't own the Xduoo, can't comment. My impression of it is that it has the ability to drive some harder to drive headphones better. If it's gym its IEM/earbud and not likely cans, therefore highly unlikely to require that additional ampage. Girls also don't blast their ears to death.. that's the stuff of men.. so any more volume found on the x2 is also likely wasted feature. The addition of the extra power may be unnecessary and the shortcomings of the UI and features (over say rockbox or even stock Sansa Clip Sport) may prove a disappointing experience for yer beloved (as well as TWICE the weight of a clip).

About the only instance I could recommend a X2 over a Sansa is if someone was to want something no heavier than 50g, small and compact and was wanting to drive harder than normal headphones (so some kinda mid can), but didn't want to also use a portable amp, and cared solely about the sound quality and wasn't into tinkering with EQ or complex playlists etc... then the X2 might be best bet for that fellow.
The Sansa Clip+  is still hard to trump. Enough power for most if not all IEMs, rockbox gives a billion benefits, OTG Playlist support, crossfade, m3u support, is 26g, 10-15hr battery life and if rockboxed can take a 256gb card with practically unlimited file support/number! Tell me now.. how many DAPs can do that!? Perhaps she doesn't know how good crossfading in the gym can be... one track blending into the next as u smash the crosstrainer! I been there done that, it can be very engaging.. like at a night club!
But then rockbox can be a little fiddly if u just want to get cracking on with music, on first go it can be a little daunting how to get music even playing! It's not as friendly as stock (but then that's what dual boot is for :wink:

I wrote a indepth review of the Clip Sport (80,000 views) located here; http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73478

Sound quality wise the sport and clip+ are identical. If rockboxing the clip+ will have the edge in DSP allowing for greater tinkering of the EQ spectrum which can be a appealing. Really there is little 'wrong' with the Sport, it's just not a clip+ killer, but if the 10-15hrs of the clip+ is concerning, and that additional 10+ hrs on the sport is really important, and yer gf is unlikely to do any mass tinkering or use vast features... then u can hardly go wrong! I bought a refurb fuze v2, nowt wrong with it, battery still doing fine, I don't mind refurbs personally.

FWIW I am an ex-personal trainer and avid gym goer myself. Most chicks I know do cardio mostly, they use their phone for music and stick it in the cup holder or whatever. Perhaps that cash would be better invested in a really nice pair of bluetooth headphones to really give her the freedom feeling? Something from Jaybird perhaps? I'm not sure on prices but perhaps they're coming in close to what a refurb clip+ or sport/x2 duoo do anyway? Just a thought...

Jun 29, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,851 of 2,087
Hey BruceBanner many thanks for your help!

I just decided to show her your post and reveal the secret....but now I have a winner!

She decided for the sansa clip sport since she is really not going to use all of the options that rockbox has to offer and the UI looks "prettier". I also don't think she will use the EQ or crossfade or anything that rockbox has to offer (not even the extra memory).

It's certainly not the option I would chose but is the one she wants.

Thanks again for your time! 

PD. I have like 4 bluetooth headphones home she could use, the thing is she never carries anything with her on the gym, she is very "lightweight".

Jun 29, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #1,852 of 2,087
  Hey BruceBanner many thanks for your help!

I just decided to show her your post and reveal the secret....but now I have a winner!

She decided for the sansa clip sport since she is really not going to use all of the options that rockbox has to offer and the UI looks "prettier". I also don't think she will use the EQ or crossfade or anything that rockbox has to offer (not even the extra memory).

It's certainly not the option I would chose but is the one she wants.

Thanks again for your time! 

PD. I have like 4 bluetooth headphones home she could use, the thing is she never carries anything with her on the gym, she is very "lightweight".

Just make sure to go over that review, for example she won't be able to 'shuffle all' from both internal and external mem etc, and there is a file limit etc (2000 or so?)...

Jun 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,854 of 2,087
  Why are you not considering other DAPs like Fiio M3? It has sq somewhat similar to Xduoo and UI and looks and portability of Sansa.

I guess it's just personal preferences. They're both cheap DAP. M3 has color screen, touch control, longer playing hours. X2 is more simple, buttons for blind control, cheaper, and much more output power.

Jun 30, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #1,855 of 2,087
Yeh the M3 might be a runner also, not a sansa clip+ killer, but certainly an option against X2 and Sport. The biggest draw back of the M2 I heard is the UI and lack of m3u support. Also, Sport is better for blind operation due to tactile. However, touch controls may last longer and less susceptible to wear and tear issues.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,856 of 2,087
After about a month using it, despite some "format error" issues, due to bad tags and easily solved, I'm pretty satisfied with this X2. But I couldn't fix one very annoying thing : the shuffle mode can play the same track twice or more, and sometimes in-a-row, before ending a playlist
frown.gif

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #1,857 of 2,087
After about a month using it, despite some "format error" issues, due to bad tags and easily solved, I'm pretty satisfied with this X2. But I couldn't fix one very annoying thing : the shuffle mode can play the same track twice or more, and sometimes in-a-row, before ending a playlist :frowning2:

I guess it still happen if you press the next button?

Jul 12, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #1,858 of 2,087
Yes, pressing next button may result in another already played track to be played again... sometimes even the same that I'm listening before pushing the next button. However, having to press a button to simulate a shuffle is a poor workaround :/

Jul 26, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #1,860 of 2,087
Guys, sorry if I don't read all the pages here, but I was wondering if someone compared this with the Kogan and the Fiio M3. There's a guy selling the Xduoo here and I may take the bait. But I want to be sure it's worth it and I won't fell disappointed after having the Kogan with me, maybe @H20Fidelityand other friends can give a few pointers here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back